TRACKING POWDER!

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RocketSquirrel

TRF Supporter
Reaction score
How am i just now hearing about this! Is this a normal practice or just a fad that at one point faded?

Ive seen people say they have used the marking powder from home depot, ive heard temera dry paint powder.. I used to do alot of tie dye and have LOADS of colored ink powder. Its eco friendly, biodegradable to my knowledge and im thinking about using that because its free at this point

we used to use tracking powder in competition models, but we use altimeters instead of visual tracking.
I always disliked the mess it made on the model.
It does help to locate a model in the sky though...YMMV

I have used powder chalk and powdered tempra paint, but I mix them with talc. As mentioned it is more useful in competition. I bought a pound of "tire talc" which I assume is used to mount tires on rims. If you are looking for tracking a model at ejection, you could use colored flame resistant crepe paper or a small colorful streamer in addition to the recovery device.
See me at the DARS launch for more useful(?) ideas.

Chas

Was mess to clean up, which is why it mostly was used on Naked Competition models being tracked by optical tubes, not altimeters like in modern times

Yellow marking power was the easiest to clean up, the 70s and 80s red tracking powder was a Hot Mess 😂

At LDRS (ROC) last year I was walking back from having recovered my rocket, and found a small opened Doritos bag on the ground. Trying to leave no trace I grabbed it and threw it in my backpack, only to discover that it contained an orange tracking powder (NOT Doritos dust). So I was partly-orange the rest of the day, and it still hasn't completely gone from my backpack over a year later. =P Neat idea, but very messy.

I have a 50 pound bag of DayGlo pigment, the stuff used in plastic.
It is messy, years ago we spilled some at balls and the next year it was still there. Paint rocket orange so it can’t be seen.

How am i just now hearing about this! Is this a normal practice or just a fad that at one point faded?
It used to be used to make a cloud at ejection. With the use of electronics it's no longer needed.
5 lb. chalk at 20,000' in 1990. Motor was a Vulcan O1500-40. (Yes, motor ejection. We didn't know about the problems with BP or delays burning even slower at altitude. The second flight never ejected and went an estimated 40,000'.)

Ive seen people say they have used the marking powder from home depot, ive heard temera dry paint powder.. I used to do alot of tie dye and have LOADS of colored ink powder. Its eco friendly, biodegradable to my knowledge and im thinking about using that because its free at this point
I was using tempera paint powder or baby powder 50 years ago in NAR Altitude competitions. It also works to "lubricate plastic chutes. I typically made my competition chutes & streamers from dry cleaner bags (< 0.001") but needed a little bit of powder to ensure they did not stick to themselves.

Astrobuf

It used to be used to make a cloud at ejection. With the use of electronics it's no longer needed.
5 lb. chalk at 20,000' in 1990. Motor was a Vulcan O1500-40. (Yes, motor ejection. We didn't know about the problems with BP or delays burning even slower at altitude. The second flight never ejected and went an estimated 40,000'.)

That was awesome. It looks so small from the ground but 5lbs must have made a HUGE poof.

"Has anyone seen my cat?" 😾

Please keep in mind that use of tracking powder also depends on the sky conditions. Talc or colored powder will show up well against a blue sky. Against clouds, a dark color will stand out better than just white talc. It is why I carry options in my range box.

Chas

Back