Total eclipse coming, 8 April 2024!

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Ours was definitely a family experience. My aunt and uncle in Dallas were originally planning on staying inside. They did not trust the information or the dinky eclipse glasses. They felt better with me showing up with equipment and “coaching” them I guess. I really wanted them and my mom to see it, since their house was right in the path!
65A77359-E7F4-477D-A095-1AE30FBAA62F.jpeg

It was very interesting to contrast this total eclipse (low altitude, clouds) to the 2017 eclipse which we viewed from high altitude, low humidity, and no clouds in Wyoming. Very different!
We only had an 80% so I am glad people shared.

I traveled to Indianapolis to see totality, joining some 50,000 people at the Indy 500 speedway. We all watched the celestial festivities en masse right on the track, which, according to an employee I spoke with, the general public almost never gets allowed to walk on. Skies remained pretty clear and totality definitely delivered. It looked like a large, fiery black hole piercing the sky. Having experienced a 97% eclipse for the previous "once in a lifetime experience," I now know the difference that totality makes. I will never forget it. Not having decent cameras along, I attempted a photo with my (newly acquired) mobile. This was the best image I could get, which actually turned out better than I expected. After totality, many people walked over to kneel down and kiss the bricks on the finish line of the track. One mother yelled to her teenage son "just pretend to! just pretend to!" That place was immense.

IMG_8160.JPG
The speedway grounds also included a number of interesting things, such as rocket engines and other rocket-related items.
IMG_8081.JPG
NASA also had booths and a lot of Artemis swag.
IMG_8065.JPG

When will you all have one?

We no longer have the manufacturing facilities to make our own eclipse, so we’ll either buy a cheap Chinese one or wait until England has finished with theirs and hope King Charles gifts it to the colonies.

It may then do a tour of Canada before its eventual installation here.

I’m not even sure if we make enough electricity to run a modern eclipse.

We no longer have the manufacturing facilities to make our own eclipse, so we’ll either buy a cheap Chinese one or wait until England has finished with theirs and hope King Charles gifts it to the colonies.

It may then do a tour of Canada before its eventual installation here.

I’m not even sure if we make enough electricity to run a modern eclipse.
I just checked it’s being gifted to you by the universe in 2028 so mark your calendars! (Link)

I went to Laughlin AFB just outside of Del Rio, TX. We had a fair bit of clouds but did get to see enough of the eclipse and totality that it was worth the travel. Here is my "best of" composition. The wide field is from a GoPro just at the end of totality. The eight partial phases were with my Canon T3i, 600 mm lens, and a Baader film solar filter.

TSE 8 Apr 2024 composite.jpg

Back