• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to Rocketry Forum and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member which comes with a decal or just click here to donate.

TONS of raw carbon fiber cloth and tubing for sale. PICS!!!

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
this is leftover material custom made for us at work years ago that we cannot use anymore, but would be great for all sorts of little homemade projects or reinforcing rocket parts. it's braided together all the way around in a circle, much like a chinese finger puppet. you can cut it lengthwise down the middle and have a flat sheet, the width being the circumference of the circle. so an 8" diameter piece would be roughly 25" wide (2 x pi x radius) and i can cut any length needed until i run out. it'll stretch quite a bit, but what you gain in width is lost in the length and vice versa.

raw carbon sleeving: i don't have any small sizes, this is all i've got. i'll cut it in its relaxed position, it seems to lose about 25% of its length when its expanded to its rated size. example: an 8" piece cut to 32" long in a relaxed position, ended up being about 28" long when it was wrapped around an 8" diameter tube. you're on your own with what to do with it and google can probably tell you more about resins, vacuum backing, molds, etc. than i can.

$5 fixed shipping no matter much or little you buy.

6" 45 deg 14.4 oz/sq yard $5.00/ft

6.5" 30 deg ??? oz/sq yard $5.50/ft

8" 45 deg 11.0 oz/sq yard $7.00/ft

45 deg, 4" diameter as an example

untitled2wn4.jpg

pb200008ab9.jpg

pb200006id7.jpg

pb200004nf5.jpg

pb200005aw0.jpg

I'm interested. As far as the ID - the exact number isn't important - it is however more important that the ID is smooth and clean. The lumps and bumps inside could cause problems with deployment of parachutes etc.

I'm interested. As far as the ID - the exact number isn't important - it is however more important that the ID is smooth and clean. The lumps and bumps inside could cause problems with deployment of parachutes etc.

hmmmmm......i can't bore out more than about 6" deep without running into problems. when this stuff was made the inside surface wasn't important. i'm guessing a hone could smooth things out some, but i'm not familiar enough with now much would be good enough to make it work right.

i'm wondering if some sort of thin sleeve barely smaller than the id could be bonded inside the tube instead.

I want some!!! Hit me with a PM I have the perfect project in mind!

:tee:

Mike

I am not in the market to buy any of this, but just in case you guys somehow have not heard:

Be VERY careful with cutting carbon fiber parts, especially after it is cured/cooked. Those little bits of CF dust will float around in the air and go everywhere. They are attracted (same as all other dust) to electronics and will kill your circuit boards very effectively, whether they are in your $20 shop radio or your $5000 widescreen TV. CF fibers are not good to breathe either; this stuff is the 'new' asbestos....

Use good containment, respirators, ventilation, filtering, and clean-up. This is for *your* protection, not mine.

(Hey, look, no silly icons!)

I am not in the market to buy any of this, but just in case you guys somehow have not heard:

Be VERY careful with cutting carbon fiber parts, especially after it is cured/cooked. Those little bits of CF dust will float around in the air and go everywhere. They are attracted (same as all other dust) to electronics and will kill your circuit boards very effectively, whether they are in your $20 shop radio or your $5000 widescreen TV. CF fibers are not good to breathe either; this stuff is the 'new' asbestos....

Use good containment, respirators, ventilation, filtering, and clean-up. This is for *your* protection, not mine.

(Hey, look, no silly icons!)

it's also the best itching powder known to man!

raw carbon sleeving: i don't have any small sizes, this is all i've got. i'll cut it in its relaxed position, it seems to lose about 25% of its length when its expanded to its rated size. example: an 8" piece cut to 32" long in a relaxed position, ended up being about 28" long when it was wrapped around an 8" diameter tube. you're on your own with what to do with it and google can probably tell you more about resins, vacuum backing, molds, etc. than i can.

$5 fixed shipping no matter much or little you buy.

6" 45 deg 14.4 oz/sq yard $5.00/ft

6.5" 30 deg ??? oz/sq yard $5.50/ft

8" 45 deg 11.0 oz/sq yard $7.00/ft

this is all going in the dumpster soon if there is no interest in it!

Boy oh boy, wouldn't that be a rocketeers discovery of the century.. I mean that would be the truest meaning of one mans trash is a rocketeers treasure...

;););) - wish i wasnt so poor right id prolly jump on some of this... hopefully you can keep it laying around for a couple months until i can afford to get some..

I do see my suggestion of listing it on the Yard Sale forum is working out pretty well for you :)

Boy oh boy, wouldn't that be a rocketeers discovery of the century.. I mean that would be the truest meaning of one mans trash is a rocketeers treasure...

;););) - wish i wasnt so poor right id prolly jump on some of this... hopefully you can keep it laying around for a couple months until i can afford to get some..

I do see my suggestion of listing it on the Yard Sale forum is working out pretty well for you :)

yeah, i've had LOTS of interest in this stuff, but no ones really buying it up yet. i'll be holding onto the raw fiber until its gone, but the tube is getting cut up mid-august if its not sold. i need the room and that should give anybody serious about it enough time to get some samples and make up their mind on what they want.

I have to say the carbon sleeve is really nice stuff. I purchased a piece of the 6" to check it out, and it is very high quality. I have not laminated with it yet, but it seems to fit from around 4" to 6+ inches comfortably. It is really heavy weight material, which suits my needs, so it will add a lot of strength, but also a fair amount of weight. Well suited for a serious project. I have samples of the tubing that he sent as well. They look good, but I am need to check the dimensions for compatability with standard dimensions. Stay tuned.

I picked up some of the filament wound 2.135" OD tube. It's a perfect fit (ID & OD) for SU motor cases :)

Spindoctor,

I meant to email ya earlier, been busy, got my CF sleeving, looks great thanks!

i am done with the tubing, sorry. still have some sleeving left if you want to try to make your own. and my apologies to anyone i forgot to get back to, my life has been unbelievably hectic lately.

Yo bud, still no re-reply to emails from a month ago. Is your spammie working overtime again? ;-)

Chuck

Back