TLP Matra Magic R.550

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Sorry Jeff ,hope you don`t mind me posting these ,just to show the clear/red dyed radome I did on mine.Made a cast with clear epoxy ,used the bottom of a beer can as the mold.

Don`t mean to hijack this build thread ,and can remove this if you wish ,no big deal :blush:

Sincerely

Paul t

phpCI37cwAM.jpg

phphlF00eAM.jpg

Oh contraire. I WELCOME input. :) Especially from friends!

The only issue is MINE will never ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever look that good.
Indeed I think I will simply stop now and throw it in the trash. Whats the point of building it? It can not possibly be that awesome. No way. Nada.... :facepalm: :cry: So what the point in going on??????

LoL!!! Well of course to FLY it!!! Onward! :)

Between you and me Jeff ,mine really isn`t that great, but it flies OK.

I thought I was being some sort of wiseapple when working on the radome/nosecone...in the end ,I was being a horses.....well you know.

It was too much trouble ,and in the end, was not worth the effort for the way it turned out ,except to learn a new way to cast a radome.

I can promise you ,I will not go through those efforts again ,but instead do the old KISS !

I only flew mine once on an AT/SU E30........not quite enough juice for good stable flight ,needs a little more "kick" off the pad.I added that big washer that came in the kit,as well as the weight of the cast epoxy radome piece ,so the balance seems to be good.

Once I get some reloads for my CTI 24mm cases this comming spring ,the Magic is going back on the pad.

Keep up the good work Jeff ,look forward to your flight report when done ,and perhaps your Rocksim.

Sincerely

Paul t

Sorry Jeff ,hope you don`t mind me posting these ,just to show the clear/red dyed radome I did on mine.Made a cast with clear epoxy ,used the bottom of a beer can as the mold.

Don`t mean to hijack this build thread ,and can remove this if you wish ,no big deal :blush:

Sincerely

Paul t

Nice Rocket, but equally overbuilt is that Door behind it. Nice Door!

Between you and me Jeff ,mine really isn`t that great, but it flies OK.

I thought I was being some sort of wiseapple when working on the radome/nosecone...in the end ,I was being a horses.....well you know.

It was too much trouble ,and in the end, was not worth the effort for the way it turned out ,except to learn a new way to cast a radome.

I only flew mine once on an AT/SU E30........not quite enough juice for good stable flight ,needs a little more "kick" off the pad.I added that big washer that came in the kit,as well as the weight of the cast epoxy radome piece ,so the balance seems to be good.

Once I get some reloads for my CTI 24mm cases this coming spring ,the Magic is going back on the pad.

Keep up the good work Jeff ,look forward to your flight report when done ,and perhaps your Rocksim.

Sincerely

Paul t

Well you had me looking at the bottom of a Canada Dry Ginger Ale can!! :lol: :wink:

I'll tell you, that nose does NOT need more weight! I put an Aerotech F21 in the MMT and the nose on. I figure everything else will equal out. The CG was ahead of the tube break. As you can see, ROCKSIM thinks that is fine.

Matra Magic R550-2D.jpg

At 11 to 12, maybe even 13 oz, (310 to 370g) it's a bit portly (rocksim's mass is off). I see for an E30 tho the average is well over 5:1 t/w. And on a 1.2m rod it should have had plenty of speed. Should have flown okay. Depends on your round's all up weight I suppose.

Today I got nothing done. I was finishing off the rebuild of the Farside-X (Darkside X in the scratch forum). Organizing my motor locker as well. I am starting to look at pictures and plan what bands to put on where. Advantages and disadvantages to putting them on now, after the fins, after the primer... etc.

The gold color fasteners will be vinyl for sure... how to paint that seeker head and get a clean edge...

BTW: At my weight of 370g a F85WT puts it up about 420m. (1400') Not bad. A F79SS about the same.

Last edited:
Forge beginnings of finnage... Yep that's how I roll. Eyeball. Using Arleen's

11166335905_0a634a9c01_b.jpg

With the rear fins filleted I began working on the front.
I used scrap balsa and clamps to keep the two aligned.
Double glue joints.
And my Mark I eyeball to make sure they were aligned with the rear fins. ;)

2013-12-07-Matra-Magic-R.550-0001.jpg 2013-12-07-Matra-Magic-R.550-0003.jpg

So the basics are done. I have a few more fillets on the front fins to do. And the launch lugs. I don't think I'll go with rail guides. I may go to 1/4 inch lugs though. If I go with rail guides I can't launch it at SCRA launches as I don't believe they have a rail. I like to launch D-F there and save the G-K for larger venues. They do have 1/4 rods.

Next I need to decide what, if any other relief detail I want to put on the model before primer. I am thinking "Not Much" because most of the detail will be in vinyl.

It's a nice substantial model!

2013-12-07-Matra-Magic-R.550-0004.jpg 2013-12-07-Matra-Magic-R.550-0005.jpg

Last edited:
It`s a real beauty Jeff ,and nice and big...ain`t it !

Like you say ,the decals and paint will add plenty of detail to the missile.

Keep up the great work !

Paul T

So the basics are done. I have a few more fillets on the front fins to do. And the launch lugs. I don't think I'll go with rail guides. I may go to 1/4 inch lugs though. If I go with rail guides I can't launch it at SCRA launches as I don't believe they have a rail. I like to launch D-F there and save the G-K for larger venues. They do have 1/4 rods.

Next I need to decide what, if any other relief detail I want to put on the model before primer. I am thinking "Not Much" because most of the detail will be in vinyl.

It's a nice substantial model!

Jeff.

Beautiful work!

It is a bigun' isn't it!!

Thanks for the info. One day, I'm going to do one with a Clear Cover and model up some what will look like Lenses or IR Sensors to go in it. I'll be keeping my Eye out for Plexiglass Bowls that will be used for the clear Part.

This is the perfect time for these. I've found clear 2-part spherical Christmas decorationss at both Hobby Lobby and Walmart.

xmasorn.jpg

nosecone I made...

latch6.jpg
latch13.jpg

Wow, that's pretty big. (I know what you're all thinking.....) When are you planning on launching it, Jeff? I've been trying to get out to an SCRA launch, but........

kelltym88, not for a while. No rocket flies before it's time. :wink:
I went to the ROC launch yesterday so did not make the SCRA today. So they are done for the year. :(

The Matra is is now sporting a first coat of primer. Took a whole can! But needs sanding and another primer coat. Bought the 'Winter Gray' color I am going to spray it. But that is still a few weeks away based on my current work schedule. :)

2013-12-12-Matra-Magic-R.550-0001.jpg 2013-12-12-Matra-Magic-R.550-0002.jpg

Pretty nice Jeff !

I used Rusto "Winter Gray" on the aft 2/3rds of mine also ,it`s pretty close to Light Ghost Gray /Aircraft Gray ,which was what I was trying to achieve with mine.I think they make the lightest gray of most brands out there ,thankfully.

Look forward to more progress reports ,although I trust the end is nigh.

Cheers

Paul T

Well, I still have to draw and cut all the vinyl. And figure a way to put a circle on the nose. Also I noted in some pictures the steering fins (second set from the front) are lighter or aluminum (or something) or I'll probably try that. And yes, this is winter gray. :)

So today I put some silver on the nose and on the steering fins. I am under NO illusions that it looks like a real seeker head. I know it's not, but I'll live with it.

Also I cut the black markings and the circles I'll be using as 'bolts'.

There is also a brown / bronze solid strip to cut and a yellow one.

Progress...

2014-01-19-Matra-Magic-R.550-0003.jpg 2014-01-19-Matra-Magic-R.550-0002.jpg 2014-01-19-Matra-Magic-R.550-0001.jpg

Getting started placing the vinyl. It's so true that decals and such make the model. This is only the front, and only one side. More nights to go... but I am liking the look. It's not sodmeister, todd, hornetdriver or Scottydog quality. But its ok. Not being modest, just not willing to go that 'one or two' steps beyond. It'll look the part (I think... :confused:)

:wink:

2014-01-20-Matra-Magic-R.550-0003.jpg 2014-01-20-Matra-Magic-R.550-0004.jpg

I like the way this is shaping up. Are you working from data for the decals? If so, would you mind sharing? I have one in the queue to replace one that I flew the heck out of. Thanks.

Back