TLP Hellfire AGM114A

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yeah definitely a good feeling to get some paint on. Did another coat tonight so some sanding tomorrow night I think.

Real nice. Especially given that black is about the least forgiving color for showing imperfections. Well done.

Its a 6ft paint job........ from 6ft away it looks fine :wink:

I like the color. Looking back at the photos of the real Hellfire, the color looks almost like an extremely dark gray. If I ever get back to using my airbrush, I'd like to play with mixing a bit of flat gray with flat black. Besides, I've been known to repaint old rockets with a new, different paint scheme ... boredom, I guess. :)

I might try a bit of dry brushing on the rivets with a grey just to help bring them out a little

Very very nice work, looks pretty wicked awesome I must say.I like that you used something as rivets and bolt heads, whether it be glue drops ,pin heads, actual little teenie tiny screws or graphics, makes all the difference and yours look the part !!

This is gonna be a real beauty ,I can tell.

I`ll keep watching this thread.

Keep up the fine work.

VIVA TLP !!

Paul T

PS-Howdy gang !

Thanks Paul, progress has been a bit slow cause work is busy, plus the ground has started shaking again so mind has been elsewhere for a bit. Might go out to the garage and do some more :)

So a little further on with the detailing .....

So also weighed it, 9.9oz without chute or motor.

Last edited:
Thanks Cl, almost got the first yellow ring finished and touched up the fin separation lines. Going to add one more yellow ring and then need to sort out warning and build plates as well as model designation markings. Then the big challenge of how to do the nose....... lol :confused:

Picture of my Hellfire on Sunday morning:

image.jpg

Picture of my Hellfire on Sunday afternoon:

image.jpg

Very old Aerotech E15 which I got from a friend. Looks like ejection charge did blow paper cap loose, but it did not even blow out the nose cone. It was buried in the ground and not dug up. I'll go back to reloads, which I've always had good luck with.

I hate seeing photos like that Trident. My condolences.

Thanks. It is one of those things you just chalk up as a learning experience. A guy next to me at the launch said he had heard older single use Aerotech motors tend to develop longer delay times. I suppose it might have ejected just prior to core-sampling, or just after. :)

I have a few more of these E15s, which might be good for electronic-ejection flight. And I'll probably static fire one just to see what it does.

Picture of my Hellfire on Sunday morning:

View attachment 284473

Picture of my Hellfire on Sunday afternoon:

View attachment 284474

Very old Aerotech E15 which I got from a friend. Looks like ejection charge did blow paper cap loose, but it did not even blow out the nose cone. It was buried in the ground and not dug up. I'll go back to reloads, which I've always had good luck with.
Man that sucks! Sorry to see what happened to it, that was a nice looking job you did there. Are you going to build another?

Man that sucks! Sorry to see what happened to it, that was a nice looking job you did there. Are you going to build another?
Well, maybe if I live to a really ripe old age ... I have about 120 kits in inventory. I just built an Estes Saturn 1B, have a couple more of those, plus several Saturn Vs, plus a 1/70 Semroc 1B and a 1/70 Apogee 1B. Plus a bunch of old classics, and I've been buying new stuff like the Estes Honest Johns and Little Joes. Then there are the Mars Landers, the Upscaled Orbital Transport, the ...

:)

That looks amazing! And I see some more fins in the background. Is she getting a big sister of some kind?

That looks amazing! And I see some more fins in the background. Is she getting a big sister of some kind?

Thanks Zeus, those fins are for a non flying prop rocket that I'm building loosely based on a SM-2.

Thanks Cl, still haven't decided how to finish the nose but might launch her soon anyway. :)

Thanks Zeus, those fins are for a non flying prop rocket that I'm building loosely based on a SM-2.

Thanks Cl, still haven't decided how to finish the nose but might launch her soon anyway. :)

Aww shucks, I was going to guess that's what the fins in the background were for before you said something about them.

The Hellfire looks great!
Nice job on the glue rivets!:clap::clap:

So haven't really been doing much with this due to finances, but got that sorted and ordered a 24/40 case and D15-4T re-loads :cool:

You'll likely want to get some E18s or other E/F reloads. The D15s won't give you much altitude. I've only used them once, in an Estes Phoenix, built pretty much stock. I had a really long shock cord and by the time it fully opened, the rocket was about 20 feet off the ground! Recovered with no damages, but pretty scary. :)

Thanks Trident, reloads aren't the easiest to come by here at the moment, I am looking at getting an E30 single use for a later flight, once I find a local area where I can use it.
Hopefully the D15 flight will go to plan and I won't have a heart attack :)

Back