Timers and Altimeters

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

blackbrandt

That Darn College Student
Reaction score
I am looking at buying an altimeter or a timer for airstarts and/or ejection charges, but mainly for airstarts. Here are my req's:

Records altitude
Can perform airstarts
2 Events
Good quality
3 axis sensor

For the ejection charge, I know I will get some comments on here about how I am not allowed to handle ejection charges, but I have made a deal with a Level 3 flier in which he flies it for me. I just build the rocket, and buy the motors, e-matches, etc. for him.
Thanks!
Blackbrandt

Last edited:
I don't think you're going to find a unit that does everything on your list for under seventy bucks.

Even if used.....you probably are going to wait a while to locate something that does all that. There is a Raven2 on here for sale for $75 but the beeper speaker is not functioning. If you're handy with a soldering iron on PCB (or know someone who is) it could be a really good deal for you.

Otherwise...it looks like you'll have to earn a few bucks somewhere to get the hardware you need. I agree that sucks!

...and Chuck does grab most of the good stuff on here right now! One day he'll have all the rocket stuff he can fit into his rocket workshop! Until then you just have to be quick!

I suspect the answer is now. It will take a more expensive model or timer for that.

Is there anything that will record altitude, deploy parachutes and airstart motors? (Not necessarily all in the same flight?)

The Raven does everything (everything!) except tracking.

What is the cheapest that I can get it? $155 is a little too much.

Raven really seems like the way to go. If you can wait, get one used for less $$, but I bet you'd still have to pay more than $70.

OR - Would two seperate units work? If so, and Adept22 and a Perfectflite MiniTimer would come in at not too much more than your budget. Seems like more complexity, battery weight, space, etc. than is optimal, but it would be cheaper than a capable single unit.

You can do this with a timer from perfectflite and AN ALTIMETER from adept. As for 39 vs 29, it depends if you want to know how high the rocket went. The $29 version does not report back altitude.

A separate timer and altimeter is a common way to do it, but keep in mind some in-flight failure scenarios. If the rocket has an in-flight problem (a CATO for example), the rocket could be pointed in any direction, including the flight line, when a timer goes off and ignites the airstart. But if an airtstart-capable altimeter is doing the job, it can be set to only fire above a certain altitude, or better yet, above an altitude and before a cutoff time. That way the airstart won't fire for most of the in-flight failures that could be a safety issue, and the recovery deployments will still work.

A separate timer and altimeter is a common way to do it, but keep in mind some in-flight failure scenarios. If the rocket has an in-flight problem (a CATO for example), the rocket could be pointed in any direction, including the flight line, when a timer goes off and ignites the airstart. But if an airtstart-capable altimeter is doing the job, it can be set to only fire above a certain altitude, or better yet, above an altitude and before a cutoff time. That way the airstart won't fire for most of the in-flight failures that could be a safety issue, and the recovery deployments will still work.

That is a great point.

Let me research this and I will post again tonight. I would personally use a raven for air starts, but that is expensive.

I understand your on a budget.

But I recently ordered a Raven and it is a fantastic unit, I was blown away with how simple yet complex it was. It makes everything easy for dual eply/airstarts.

I have yet to fly the unit, but for atleast 6 hours I have spent time the last few weeks just playing with it and the Feather Weight Interface Program, the simulated flight really helps before you get ready to fly. If it was me I would continue to save and get the best unit on the market.

My dad won't let me fly such an expensive unit. That is why my budget is 80-90 dollars.

That is what my plan is. I already put the parts list in Yard Sale/Wanted (this one.), so if you have anything on that list that I could create space in your workshop (yes, you know you want it) by buying them, please PM me.

Back