Timer testing

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Big Rocket Dude

Reaction score
Just wondering if anybody has had the experience of trying to test a Perfectflite mini-timer with a G-switch. I have been doing the swing test so much that I have rope burns from the string. I just can't believe that it is that hard to get the switch to activate. I have gone so far to stand on a ladder and swing the rocket in the same direction of a launch. The tone doesn't end and and the test bulb doesn't light. Yes I do have the timer in the right direction. Any help would be apprciated. If someone has a video of an actual test that would really help.

You need to accelerate it along the long axis of the rocket. Your swing test may be doing that a little bit as you start to spin faster, but clearly not enough, and it's unlikely that you would be able to get it to go fast enough if you are using a string. You're currently getting a much higher acceleration parallel to the string.

Try rotating the timer to be in line with that axis for this test (don't launch it like this), or hold the rocket by the nose cone end, extend your arm and spin around quickly. This usually works for me, although I've not done it with a rocket in hand, just a timer.

You might check to make sure the G-switch isn't backwards.

-Kevin

This is strictly old school but it still works: remove said timer/alt/g-switch and wire so a small christmas lite bulb or led goes off. You can usually leave it on the sled. Orient same so the g-force activates the switch when you windmill your arm like you are winding up for a comic baseball pitch. Most g-switches need an arming time (sensing liftoff) so keep swinging you arm until the lite shows up. I'm lazy and built a little spin wheel to do this. Same principle. And you don't get dizzy.

Well, held the rocket by the nose swung the arm and it worked. Obviously attaching a string to the cg of the rocket and twirling it until your arm falls off does not. Thanks for your help.

If all that you want to do is to test the outputs, shorting the two ends of the g switch can is probably both easiest and safest. It's certainly easier to see if an LED lit when you're just looking at a stationary timer on your bench.

Latest posts

Back