THUNDERSTRUCK 4 Updates....

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Im staying at the baymont. In layfayette. What are directions to the field? Would hotel staff know? Can I still preregister yet

Im staying at the baymont. In layfayette. What are directions to the field? Would hotel staff know? Can I still preregister yet

https://www.indianarocketry.org/sites/ash-grove/

Easy directions are: Take I65 north about 6 miles to SR43 (exit 178), Go north about 3.5 miles and look for the signs.

Preregistration is closed, but it's worth it at any price (2 "P" flights!!!, and that's just the beginning)

Im gonna register when i get there. I have lots of stuff im gonna fly. And the wife has alot she wants to fly

Last edited:
Just glued a bunch of grains and prepped the Mega's av-bay. Can't friggin wait!!!

Ah! Same here (without the "mega" part). I glued one N-3301 and one M-3700.

They are happily drying together.

Saturday weather forecast calling for 15-20 mph winds with extensive cloud cover. Sunday is a little better but nowhere as good as Friday. Will we witness the two "P" flights Saturday or will they be moved up to Friday when the weather should be pretty good?

I know, someone is going to say it is too soon to tell.

Saturday weather forecast calling for 15-20 mph winds with extensive cloud cover. Sunday is a little better but nowhere as good as Friday. Will we witness the two "P" flights Saturday or will they be moved up to Friday when the weather should be pretty good?

It definitely won't be Friday, I'm not bringing my pad until Friday at midnight....and both P motors will likely fly off of my pad.

I'll start believing the weather reports on Thursday night.

I have updated the registered flyer's list one more time. All registrations were cross-checked with the actual contents of the carts, so people with multiple registrations on one order (e.g., families, youth flyers) should now see all the names on the list.

If you have any questions, contact me directly at [email protected] up until Wednesday night -- on Thursday we'll be at the field setting up, so come talk to us there instead!

I'll start believing the weather reports on Thursday night.
That early?! :D

Side note: we do have an anemometer at the LCO desk and FAA-trained observers for cloud cover height, as well as a direct line to the ASOS at KLAF which reports sky and wind conditions about 10 miles from the launch site. If you have a flight that is slow off the rail or will go high, ask one of us and we'll tell you how fast the wind is and/or how high the clouds are. We can't fly into them, but we can fly up to them.

I would'nt bet my life on a weather forecast.....one day or one week out.

They don't call it "Weather Predicting" for a reason.....kind of like "Practicing Medicine":rofl:

For the question about whether Boots are a requirement? My experience has taught me.....that in the Midwest (Non-playa*desert*) on fields or sod...That Boots are required....Tennis shoes are for the evening festivities/relaxing later.

If the weather sucks or the field is TOO muddy....please do me a favor.
Pack your stuff up, then see me....I will refund you your launch fees for the day.....THEN you leave the field.

If YOU are wondering WHY i'm in such a good mood....Let me tell you a story.....

Its a FUNNY story about an "Advisor" to a College team and, his young "Engineer Wanabees." See your NOT an Engineer till you graduate and, get a paycheck.
Now this "Advisor" worked his normal 80hr week behind the wheel of a semi-(BECAUSE HE LIKES MAKING SIX DIGITS A YEAR) to prepare for his ONE DAY off a week and, testing with his beloved "Adopted College" and, their TOY rocket. To SIT on a road ALL DAY Sunday with $900 of.....Propellant and, Hardware (purchased by the "Advisor".) Too find out from the other "Team advisor/students" that BECAUSE *someone* was having a temper tantrum situation.....that the parts "they possessed" would ALSO not be there.....thus causing an inability to test previously said TOY rocket......

In the last three weeks it had BECOME more important too do other things..... like go on "Spring Break"......Weeeeee!!!!!!:clap:

There is NO $#@%'n "Spring Break" in the real world.......

Sooooo.......the "Advisor" and, his trusty crew of volunteers packed up all the equipment late in the day and, the "Advisor" treated everyone to supper....down the road.

IF/WHEN i see this *someone* i WILL revert back to SGT. PIEPENBURG aka *Mr. Scary* from years past........:mad:

Please come prepared for all weather situations, bring your best equipment and, please have a great time as i can guarantee you that we (All of us at Indiana Rocketry) will do our best to put on a first class show for you.....and, any other visitors.;)

From the little club located in West Central Indiana, with the HIGHEST waiver east of the Mississippi River and, THE BEST FIELD in the Midwest.....Thank-you for your help/support.
Also.......One of the ONLY clubs (In the USA) with ENOUGH BALLS to get their OWN insurance and, backing to ALLOW something like two "P" motored rockets to fly on their soil....(when its NEVER been done before....around here.) NO MATTER what the powers that be say/want.......

"Head of the Complaint Dept......Name below...."

I need some space for another day or two.....thank-you.

P.S.......

If you didn't GET what i was talking about earlier.....here it is real quick......

I appreciate each and, everyone of you coming.....

Were either going to be smiling so hard and, whistling Dixie out of our @$$checks!

Or......

We'll be hiding under the cover of the Boy Scout tent.....roasting Smores and, singing Kum-Bah-Yah!!

Enough negative energy.......lets just have some fun.

Side note: we do have an anemometer at the LCO desk and FAA-trained observers for cloud cover height, as well as a direct line to the ASOS at KLAF which reports sky and wind conditions about 10 miles from the launch site. If you have a flight that is slow off the rail or will go high, ask one of us and we'll tell you how fast the wind is and/or how high the clouds are. We can't fly into them, but we can fly up to them.

I use an app called AirWX -- lets you see current weather, including cloud decks. Very handy.

-Kevin

What are the rules for the 22,000 window?? (specific days, specific time of day, advance notice, etc)

-->MCS

What are the rules for the 22,000 window?? (specific days, specific time of day, advance notice, etc)
Call in, on-demand; write it on your flight card and give the LCO a heads up when you turn it in so we can call the FAA and get some sky for you. It typically takes maybe 5-10 minutes for them to get a hole for us; oftentimes we call it in before moving to the rack, and by the time we get to the middle of the rack the window is available.

I made a bunch of 38mm and 54mm research motors for the launch, anyone interested in sending one in their rocket(s)? Made too many and have other flights planned, so they need to find a happy home........They are for AMW or Gorilla hardware

Here's what I have available.......

(1) 38mm 5 grain I450 Redneck
(1) 38mm 5 grain I323 Sparky One
(2) 54mm 3 grain J253 Sparky One
(1) 54mm 5 grain K561 Slow Tail

Let me know if interested

Preston

I made a bunch of 38mm and 54mm research motors for the launch, anyone interested in sending one in their rocket(s)? Made too many and have other flights planned, so they need to find a happy home........They are for AMW or Gorilla hardware

Preston

Preston, I could do one 3g 54mm Sparky and the 5g K561. PM with cost. /Tim

Preston

If only I had the correct hardware. I got a Blackhawk 38 that could use a little of the "Roughing up the suspect" treatment if ya know what I mean!

Last edited:
I would'nt bet my life on a weather forecast.....one day or one week out.

They don't call it "Weather Predicting" for a reason.....kind of like "Practicing Medicine":rofl:

For the question about whether Boots are a requirement? My experience has taught me.....that in the Midwest (Non-playa*desert*) on fields or sod...That Boots are required....Tennis shoes are for the evening festivities/relaxing later.

If the weather sucks or the field is TOO muddy....please do me a favor.
Pack your stuff up, then see me....I will refund you your launch fees for the day.....THEN you leave the field.

If YOU are wondering WHY i'm in such a good mood....Let me tell you a story.....

Its a FUNNY story about an "Advisor" to a College team and, his young "Engineer Wanabees." See your NOT an Engineer till you graduate and, get a paycheck.
Now this "Advisor" worked his normal 80hr week behind the wheel of a semi-(BECAUSE HE LIKES MAKING SIX DIGITS A YEAR) to prepare for his ONE DAY off a week and, testing with his beloved "Adopted College" and, their TOY rocket. To SIT on a road ALL DAY Sunday with $900 of.....Propellant and, Hardware (purchased by the "Advisor".) Too find out from the other "Team advisor/students" that BECAUSE *someone* was having a temper tantrum situation.....that the parts "they possessed" would ALSO not be there.....thus causing an inability to test previously said TOY rocket......

In the last three weeks it had BECOME more important too do other things..... like go on "Spring Break"......Weeeeee!!!!!!:clap:

There is NO $#@%'n "Spring Break" in the real world.......

Sooooo.......the "Advisor" and, his trusty crew of volunteers packed up all the equipment late in the day and, the "Advisor" treated everyone to supper....down the road.

IF/WHEN i see this *someone* i WILL revert back to SGT. PIEPENBURG aka *Mr. Scary* from years past........:mad:

Please come prepared for all weather situations, bring your best equipment and, please have a great time as i can guarantee you that we (All of us at Indiana Rocketry) will do our best to put on a first class show for you.....and, any other visitors.;)

From the little club located in West Central Indiana, with the HIGHEST waiver east of the Mississippi River and, THE BEST FIELD in the Midwest.....Thank-you for your help/support.
Also.......One of the ONLY clubs (In the USA) with ENOUGH BALLS to get their OWN insurance and, backing to ALLOW something like two "P" motored rockets to fly on their soil....(when its NEVER been done before....around here.) NO MATTER what the powers that be say/want.......

"Head of the Complaint Dept......Name below...."

I need some space for another day or two.....thank-you.

Just asked a question dude. No need to get pissy. But you drive a mopar I understand. Basically. im just asking at that time waht the conditions are, if its muddy I dont care I bring boots no biggie. Sorry to have bothered you..

Sitting patiently by phone, waiting for the call, checking goodie bag. Ice pick...check, saw...check, shovel...check, garbage bags...check, alibi...CHECK! 8 hours of mach 65 leaves plenty of places to get rid of "stuff".

Just asked a question dude. No need to get pissy. But you drive a mopar I understand

Actually, any one of four.....Mopar(s)....plural.:cool:
Looking back at my post, i does look like i threw alot of quick aggression at both you and, Gary (who is a GOOD friend and, fellow rocketeer from down the road.)

That was NOT right.

We get alot of questions around this time every year that may seem kind of "duh" but, then again sometimes i realize....there are so many new faces in the crowd that they just want to figure all the angles out....that we are used to.

I'll be there mid-day Saturday on and, all day Sunday. Real easy to find (wearing a yellow vest.) Please find me......I want to shake your hand and, apologize for snapping.....I think by the end of the weekend we will both call each other friends.

One thing about the "The Grove".....always bring boots.....just in case.

Heading out of the field south on Hwy 43 its about 4 miles to Interstate 65....there's a few fast food restaurants there but, jump on heading south (Your at exit 178 there) go down to exit 172 and, ( i'm guessing that's where your motel is....) You will be on the tip of Lafayette Indiana.....There's nothing you can't find there.....Strip Malls, Hospital, Hotels, Motels, EVERY major restaurant, Walmart, Meier, Hardware stores, CVS, Walgreens, etc......Pretty soon you'll have the area figured out.

Come on down, you won't regret or forget it.......

Do you have a parachute on the back of that "Camy"? Like over 150mph in the quarter fast? Gus likes FAST cars! :grin:

Yes it has a chute. 540 BBC. Pontiac prostock heads by CFE. 10 inch tire. 8.90 / 150. on horsepower. Plus a fogger. Full interior. 3500 lbs. Oh yeah 7.80/177. on the gas.

Back