Tholian Web Spinner

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I really didn't mean for this to become a build thread. In fact, it's more of a trial and error boilerplate/prototype fabrication. I just needed to see if it could actually be built. And if I still had the skills to pull it off. Seeing how I now know I can build one, a test flight will be in order. I may finish it off but it'll look like a simplified version. I'll do better aesthetics on the actual MPR build thread. And I'm certain it'll be easier to build than this one is/was.

After a little putty patching I gave it a thorough sanding and did some cosmetic tailoring in the nose tip. Then it dawned on me, I had not considered the shock cord. And that really doesn’t present a problem. I’ll have to drill a hole through the CR’s in the nose shoulder and attach it on the back side.

Now since all that’s done, the build is finished. I did have to re-do the warp…uh….er…those white jobs under the warp engine panels. Cardstock cut & fold pieces that I drew to simulate the “taillights”?

I’m going to launch it in the soccer field since I’ll be lucky to get a 50’ flight. It weighs 1.75 oz with everything attached. No motor. Coker’s simulator gives me a thumbs up on the A10 T but not on the A3 T. I’ll give em both a shot though.
M14.JPG M15.JPG

Didn't realize you were going to try to push that thing up with a mini engine! Shouldn't be too hard to track with the camera. :)

It's really a cool shape. Given those outer panels, it makes me think it's going to be the beneficiary of a lot of base drag. Kinda hard to get a read on it. I will look forward to seeing its big brother.

At least this test flight will determine if all that base drag is enough to keep it stable. Given the shape, it may or may not. I'm not at all certain on it at all.
It's not like the Fiddle Faddles where all the base drag works. Angled "plank-like" fins worked well on my Get Bent. Now, there is an option if I have to add nose weight to it to get it stable. I know the mini engines would struggle with that, so I have considered the "how-to's" on exchanging the motor mount for 18mm. Won't really be that hard either.

Status on the web spinner.?
Shortly after my last posting, I did a couple of test flights with different amounts of nose weight. Both flights were a bust as it started flip flopping 10' off the rod. I wasn't feeling so well that day having been recovering from an accident leaving me with a few stitches in my chest, so when I got home, it was left on the work bench while my mojo was also slowly drifting away. I haven't been in the rocket room at all since the test flights. No inspiration. I loose my mojo sometimes and it usually returns within a few weeks. But I have also been quite under the weather this month and that hasn't helped either.

I know I need more nose weight and I'll have to replace the 13 mm motor tube with an 18mm because those mini motors wont lift the amount of nose weight this thing needs. I have quite a few builds also on the back burner waiting on their time also. I did already order the wood for the upscale on the Tholian, so you can bet your bananas I'll be back at it as soon as my mojo returns.

Sorry to hear about all your difficulties. This looks like an odd-roc is I'm obligated to try my hand at it. :)

upload_2018-11-30_17-38-51.png upload_2018-11-30_17-40-47.png Out of respect to all of Gary's hard work I may start a new thread on this but here is my first approximation using Open Rocket. I started with a drawing of the Tholian Web Spinner from the original series (TOS) and I only did enough to make it flyable under Open Rocket.
upload_2018-11-30_17-38-51.png

upload_2018-11-30_17-40-47.png

Attachments

• TOS Tholian Web Spinner 18mm motor 1.0.ork
    2.1 KB · Views: 32
Open Rocket says it need 2 oz of noseweight and it warns "Thick fins may not be modeled accurately." Here is cardstock "sleeve" for a BT-20 body tube.
upload_2018-12-1_13-1-18.png

That's easy with cardstock but more difficult in Open Rocket, so the sim's will be a little off.

Honestly I would not really place too much stock in OR's CP calculation for a rocket like that. I think it should have a decent handle on frontal drag but not base drag, which would likely be significant.

I made another cardstock version with the inward angles using the first two pictures as a reference. It would use a 5.25 inch piece of BT-20 for the inside. The nosecone need to be 2 oz which is a lot for such a small rocket. It should go 110 feet on a A8-3 and 800 feet on a C6-5. :)
upload_2018-12-1_22-22-19.png upload_2018-12-1_22-24-28.png
upload_2018-12-1_22-22-55.png
upload_2018-12-1_22-23-33.png

Back