Things to do in Atlanta...

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jetra2

Reaction score
Hey folks,

Three friends and I will be going to Atlanta for a mini-vacation on December 15-19. We're thinking we'll tour the Coca-Cola factory for a few hours one day and go to Six Flags over Georgia another, but I'm lost as to other things to do. Anyone that lives in the area, do you have any suggestions on how to spend 1.5 days in the area?

Thanks,
Jason

go to vegas,lol. nah atlanta isnt bad. In alpharetta there is a mario andretti go-cart racing arena that is a blast!!! Six flags will be to cold to go to iama fraid unless you wanna freeze your butts off. stay away from the underground if you dont want to get robbed. The coca-Cola museum is a blast and i do recommend going there its really near when ya get to test all the coke flavors from around the world. Theres a civil war museum, also if you havent ever seen a ferrari car lot theres one of those as well. I go on a daily basis to drool on the window. Go to a georgia football game, hmm stone mountain is cool. If we had a rocket launch Id try to hold one on those days and invite you guys maybe we can do that.Dress warm its cold down here,lol. But honestly theres not much else to do around here.

Originally posted by jetra2
Hey folks,

Three friends and I will be going to Atlanta for a mini-vacation on December 15-19. We're thinking we'll tour the Coca-Cola factory for a few hours one day and go to Six Flags over Georgia another, but I'm lost as to other things to do. Anyone that lives in the area, do you have any suggestions on how to spend 1.5 days in the area?

Thanks,
Jason

The Aquarium is the big thing right now. It just opened to the public today. It is currently the world's largest.

CNN Center, World of CocaCola, The Carter Library, Martin Luther King Center, Margaret Mitchell house, Fernbank Science Museum, the High Museum and Woodruff Performing Arts Center, Botanical Gardens at Piedmont Park, various neighborhoods like Virginia Highlands, Little Five Points, Vinings, Buckhead and Atlantic Station; malls like Lenox Square/Phipps Plaza in the north part of Buckhead or way out at the Mall of Georgia where they should still be playing that Tom Hanks moon film on the IMAX.

We haven't made a final decision, but we may be having a launch on the 17th. Keep watching www.soar571.com for details.

i lived in atlanta for a year about 5 years ago. stone mountain is nothing less than amazing, i highly recommend going there. (its especially cool when its foggy at the summit, lol). the coca cola museum is really cool, they have fountains that literally shoot cola at you!

Take a Segway tour! There is a company in Atlanta that gives tours of the city on Segways. First they teach you how to use a Segway, then you follow a guide around the city for 2 hours. If you do this first you can see what you want to do next!
You should book a tour in the morning if possible because in the afternoon the batteries are half dead.
https://www.citysegwaytours.com/atlanta/

Originally posted by Elapid
aquarium looks like fun!

https://www.cnn.com/2005/TECH/science/11/21/new.ga.aquarium/

I'm in Atlanta visiting family right at this very moment for Thanksgiving :D

To say that the aquarium is the hot ticket right now would be a gross understatement. Tickets are *extremely* hard to come by--and probably will be for several months to come... It looks unbelievable though!

But if you're looking for good places to eat, might I recommend Dreamland BBQ & Mary Mac's Tea Room. Both are excellent Southern cuisine. ;)

Make sure you stop by the Varsity club resteraunt .....in the heart of downtown....just a few blocks from the Coke headquarters and have one of their world famous hotdogs.....ask anyone in Atlanta where it is.....been there forever!!!!

During the xmas season Lake Lanier has an outstanding drive thru xmas light show....definitely a must see!

I just came back from that! I'm about to download some pictures. It'll take a while...

Originally posted by blackjack2564
During the xmas season Lake Lanier has an outstanding drive thru xmas light show....definitely a must see!

There's also a massive light show at Life Chiropractic College in Marietta, I kid you not. Well known, and back this year after financial problems kept them from it last year.
There was another lights display at a private family estate near Chastain park. I understand the family moved, but the neighborhood may or may not have attempted to keep the display going.

A few other things I forgot in my last list.

Atlanta Zoo and the Cyclorama, both at Grant Park.

Atlanta Motor Speedway if you're a NASCAR fan... don't know if the gift shop is open or they have other exhibits when they're not racing.

Sundial Restaurant (which rotates) at the top of the Westin Peachtree Plaza. Featured in the 1981 film Sharky's Machine. IMDB.com tells us, "As of 2004, at 220 feet, the stunt from Atlanta's Westin Peachtree Plaza still holds up as the longest outdoor free-fall (no wires) stunt to ever be performed for commercial film. The stuntman was Dar Robinson."

And when you end up hanging around Cheshire Bridge Rd visit my buddies at Timeless Tattoo and get a little rocketry ink done.

And there is the Atlanta History Center with lunch at the Swan Coach house (Rachael Ray just loved it).

Originally posted by blackjack2564
Make sure you stop by the Varsity club resteraunt .....in the heart of downtown....just a few blocks from the Coke headquarters and have one of their world famous hotdogs.....ask anyone in Atlanta where it is.....been there forever!!!!

Just "the Varsity"

But those of us in the know affectionately refer to it as "The Greasy V".

Jason

When you are at the Varsity ask for a large FO. FO is a frosted orange drink.

Thanks,

Greg

Back