Do you get really bummed when you lose a rocket?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Once, in my heedless youth, I launched an F powered rocket from the tall grass at Warren G Magnuson Park on the shores of Lake Washington in Seattle. Needless to say, I never saw it again, nor had I any right to.

From my more mature perspective 40 years on, I occasionally launch an E powered rocket at 60 acres. But I've kept my vow to never lose one again.

One year I had 200+ launches and one rocket lost, but...

Every single time I launch a rocket I accept that there is a chance of loss or destruction.

There are just too many factors involved to reasonably try to guarantee no loss including motor cato (had one last year on a dms that destroyed my Estes PSII Nike Smoke 😭), construction failure, improper account of CP/CG, weather, etc.

If you're mostly LP, Estes has a fantastic warranty program and will often ship you a somewhat comparable rocket and motors if your rocket is destroyed because of a failure of one of their motors (and maybe some other cases with kits).

My PSII Nike Smoke was destroyed after using an Estes PSII dms motor (it had burn-through straight down the side) and they offered a replacement kit valued at the same as the Nike Smoke when it was new along with the motor ($80 or so...may have had a max value they could replace). Still this is great to ease the pain of a rocket loss. 🙂👍

One year I had 200+ launches and one rocket lost, but...

Every single time I launch a rocket I accept that there is a chance of loss or destruction.

There are just too many factors involved to reasonably try to guarantee no loss including motor cato (had one last year on a dms that destroyed my Estes PSII Nike Smoke 😭), construction failure, improper account of CP/CG, weather, etc.

If you're mostly LP, Estes has a fantastic warranty program and will often ship you a somewhat comparable rocket and motors if your rocket is destroyed because of a failure of one of their motors (and maybe some other cases with kits).

My PSII Nike Smoke was destroyed after using an Estes PSII dms motor (it had burn-through straight down the side) and they offered a replacement kit valued at the same as the Nike Smoke when it was new along with the motor ($80 or so...may have had a max value they could replace). Still this is great to ease the pain of a rocket loss. 🙂👍
Same here. It's part of the hobby. I just make sure I have patterns and dims on everything during the build process so I can rebuild it at a later time. Sometimes it is hard as parts like the Nike Smoke nose cone can be impossible to find.

It sucks if you have put a lot of work into it, but on the other hand, excuse for another rocket!

When I was a kid though, it was a bit more painful--every dollar counted.

cheers,

Matthew

I'ts hard when you lose a kit proto because you want the actual Le Petit Mort in front of you to to teach you the lessons to make the next one betterer. Lots of my design research abides in trees. A second proto is always needed. I now make two at a time.
I discussed this issue with a fellow rocketeer at a recent local launch. The idea surfaced of actually making two rockets. One would be a pristine display model. The second rocket would be a beater rocket that you would fly. I have never done that but it is an idea.

I discussed this issue with a fellow rocketeer at a recent local launch. The idea surfaced of actually making two rockets. One would be a pristine display model. The second rocket would be a beater rocket that you would fly. I have never done that but it is an idea.
I plan on doing that with rockets I have a strong preference for. In fact, I'll probably take it a step further and have 3 total rockets: one that's sealed in original packaging, one that's built and never flown, then one that does all the flying.

I plan on doing that with rockets I have a strong preference for. In fact, I'll probably take it a step further and have 3 total rockets: one that's sealed in original packaging, one that's built and never flown, then one that does all the flying.
That often occurs naturally for many! 😁

Edit: I do prefer to launch even the really nice ones at least once, but sometimes don't get to it.

What is this...I mean, what does it mean in the context of model rocketry?

The little death, there in front of you.

Did fins break off? How was ejection? Did the tube crimp? Was the motor retained? ...

You learn a lot from a damaged rocket in front of you that you cannot learn from a tree dwelling prototype.

I don't want to look at a rocket on the shelf that has never flown. It bugs me. And I build all my models to be... well, maybe not exactly "pristine display models", but as pretty as I can reasonably make them.

So I launch them all at least once, applying as much pucker as required. After one launch I can relax, although usually I'll get the urge to get all of them back in the air at some point in the future (Starship Avalon I'm looking at you).

I might feel differently about this if I flew in areas where the landing areas were hard and scratchy and destructive... but around here it's usually some sort of greenery, and the rocket will suffer limited disfigurement unless something goes wrong (or you get unlucky and land on a road).

I don't want to look at a rocket on the shelf that has never flown. It bugs me. And I build all my models to be... well, maybe not exactly "pristine display models", but as pretty as I can reasonably make them.

I don't want a rocket on my shelf that smells like gunpowder/fireworks.

Just to be clear, I don't mind a rocket that smells like a used rocket engine. But if it's supposed to sit on a shelf and enjoy "queen" status, then it must be as pristine as reasonably possible. And not launching a rocket is part of keeping/making it as pristine as possible.

So I launch them all at least once, applying as much pucker as required. After one launch I can relax, although usually I'll get the urge to get all of them back in the air at some point in the future (Starship Avalon I'm looking at you).

I might feel differently about this if I flew in areas where the landing areas were hard and scratchy and destructive... but around here it's usually some sort of greenery, and the rocket will suffer limited disfigurement unless something goes wrong (or you get unlucky and land on a road).
I will say that I have become VERY anal retentive about recovery devices and preparation in my old age. I religiously talcum powder the parachute just before flight. I use the Tim Vam Milligan parachute folding method. I make sure the shroud lines are nice and long (even if the get tangled, there may still be lots length left). I make my own parachutes using the strongest materials and assembly methods that make sense for the rocket. I put plenty (but not too much) dog barf in as recovery wadding. I use snap swivels to precvent tangling as much as possible. I put a spill hole in the parachute to make it drift less. I attach the parachute to a loop about 2/3 of the way up the shock cord. I carefully choose what knots I will use and then put a dot of wood glue on each knot to keep it from coming undone.

Then I intentionally use the low or mid power engines for a given rocket and launch situation.

I do all of the above not because I am neurotic (OK, maybe I am neurotic) but because I really want to get the rocket back.

(Philosophical/Sentimental Reply)

In Spanish, the word for "hobby" is "el pasatiempo" which literally translates as "to pass the time." I have to remind myself every moment I spend on this forum, shopping for new kits/supplies, designing/building, going to a field to fly, etc. as a means of choosing how I want to "pass the time" and spend my energy. So what is a hobby? As with anything else in life, it is a consumption of energy/resources wrapped up in feelings and emotions. Time + Money + Excitement/Anticipation = Living Life. When a rocket is lost/destroyed I engage in the common cycle of rationlizing the loss and then questioning whether the hobby is worth continuing.

I find it interesting to read through the comments in this thread and see the responses include the shared pain of some variable loss of "resource" attached to the hobby. Some have left the hobby and others forge ahead. I've probably re-BAR'd 3-4 times now since 1990 and I'm 43. I've experienced all sorts of rocketry losses that cut deep, and sometimes job losses fuel the desire to leave the hobby, until I find that next great opportunity. This latest re-engagement in the hobby though has me remembering one thing that I will never regret: the time I spent making friends, sharing laughs/heartbreak, and being a part of a community. Each time I've restarted dabbling in collecting, building, flying, etc. I ALWAYS find myself reaching out to local rocketeers, going to club launches, finding neighborhood kids to spread excitement, etc.

How each of us chooses to "pass our time" and utilize these resources is up to each one of us. In the grand scheme of life, all of "it" and the resources we generated and consumed are "lost" when our time comes. I just hope someone I met along the way was positively impacted or has a greater enjoyment of the hobby (or life) because of some influence I had.

Losing rockets is such an irrational tailspin emotion, but as others have mentioned, is all a part of the hobby. Sorry you had a maiden flight loss. :( That's happened to me several times with kits that I had invested more time or money than I could afford (at the time). All the best. -E
When you're facing a very limited amount of time left in life, it's best to examine how you choose to " pass the time". I'm still bummed out on losing my MR-1 rocket😭

Last edited:
As you csn imagine, I have stories. I'm still butthurt decades later about this one. I was a rent-a-dork for Boring Commercial free Aircraft in Everett, Wash. Headhunter found me. Not so happy about things with wings but after they sold my company and moved it to Colorado, I took early retirement. Three teen boys that could strip a carcass of a water buffalo in 30 seconds and snack on the piranhas afterwards. Fast forward, I hook up with the rocket guys at Boingo snd Dave Davis sez he can hook me up with an Initiator. Well, okay, it's a tocket and it is in Washington with low tickets, so I bag it. Totally customized as a second stage bird. First rack they push the button on all three of my birds snd this one, of course, had the biggest motor, Trial flight, etc. It flies 2k atraight, across a stream and lands in a herd of cows. Brutal long walk to get to some place to cross the stream. And then the cows. Left it there. Have One pic after the paint job before the flght. Still bugs me today.

The rocket that hurt the most to lose was a AAA I-Max that had been given to me as a kit by Tim Eiszner. I flew it at LDRS in Orangeburg (the first one) and it landed in the only patch of trees on the field. /sigh

Most of the time that one disappears or is destroyed in flight, was a Viking Funeral. Intentional, kept putting bigger motors in, just because....

Some of my rockets are like the black cat in the song The Cat Came Back... They find their way back, no matter what.

I certainly miss a few that were never found. But especially my 4" upscale Arapahoe, just because it is soooo great a design. Launched on J250 in to "clear" central valley skies, never seen again. I promise to rebuild it...

I think maybe I hate losing electronics more than the rockets. I definitely have a few that I am waiting for the right day, so I don't either pollute the area with rockets/debris, or waste electronics.

We’ll put, that’s exactly how I feel. With an Astrocam, Altimeter2, and a JL chute release - I have as much or more $$ into the rocket in electronics as the rocket itself.

Electronics and motor casings - if I can recover those I’d feel much better about it.

We’ll put, that’s exactly how I feel. With an Astrocam, Altimeter2, and a JL chute release - I have as much or more $$ into the rocket in electronics as the rocket itself.

Electronics and motor casings - if I can recover those I’d feel much better about it.
+1

In general I'm not too bummed about losing a rocket as I try to fly the field and if conditions are questionable, I tend towards LPR even when on a nice sized HPR field.

One particular one I'm a bit peeved about is a LOC Bullet that I signed up for the 'decal test' they were doing. I bought the rocket and if I submitted pictures of it with their decals applied, they gave you the decal, so probably a $20-40 value.

I spent a ton of time on the rocket, trying to make it a showpiece. I used Duplicolor rattlecan paint which isn't as good as a paint gun, but it also isn't cheap. Loaded it up with a brand new motor case, 808 video camera, Perfectflight altimeter and 3-2-1 launch. The motor was a sparky and it came up to pressure pretty quick, shut down about 50 feet off the pad and then restarted. I don't know the technical terms, but that's what it looked like. Of course, during that short shutdown (1/2-2 sec, don't remember) the rocket turned and was in the 40-50 deg orientation. Once the motor re-lit it simply flew off property, into the sun and I never saw it again, even after 4 of us looked everywhere we thought it might have been. I don't fly sparky motors anymore out of spite. I know a lot of people fly them successfully all the time, but I'm mad at that motor, so I choose not to use them anymore.

So, most of the time I'm ok with a loss, but that's because I choose to not risk much dollar loss (cameras, case, altimeter) if it is a windy day. A flight failure is a risk we take every time, but hopefully a well mitigated risk.

Sandy.

I've never lost a rocket... knock on wood.:wavingsanta:

I've had them lawn dart, shred during flight, and experience damage and then needed repair.

In those cases, I was excited, not really "bummed" at all. They were all learning experiences.

I find the most exciting launches are the ones where all phases of the flight can be clearly seen.

Back