They call me Doctor Rocket....

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kevin_mcgrath

Reaction score
Today, my buddy Paul came over with his 2 girls and a couple of their friends.
While the girls played in backyard, Paul and I worked on his Mean Machine and one of my projects on my workbench in the garage.

Suddenly his youngest (a 2nd grader) appeared in tears saying she hurt her
toe -- she'd caught her the nail of her big toe on something and cracked it back into the quick. Ouch!

I cleared out a spot and sat her down on the workbench. Then I swung out my big magnifying work lamp, put her foot under it and had a close look. She quieted down while Paul soothed her and I examined her toenail and made appropriate noises: "Uh-huh, hmmm, uh-ummm..." Looking up I said we can fix this with CA. Paul concurred, but Madeline looked dubious. Paul told her we were a rocket scientists, and not to worry about a thing.

I reached for the diaper wipes I use to clean casings and wet it with a little
isopropyl alcohol (for tooling epoxy) and cleaned up her toe. Next, I gently her nail in position and applied a bead of thick CA and followed it up with a spritz of accelerator.

It was a little rough on the top, but right there on the bench was the Dremel with a fine sanding drum. Perfect!

A little CA, a bit of dremeling to smooth it out and she was back out playing in 10 minutes.

Dr Rocket, indeed!

Kevin.

That's quite amusing! When I first saw the thread I thought you might be the manufacturer of the Dr. Rockets casings...boy was I wrong! Great story. Now the question is, does the girl want to learn how to do that herself?
Reed

It makes me wonder if the NAR insurance,
covers malpractice...???

Just kiddin' ya know...LOL

How stable is she, and what size motor mount will she hold?

Originally posted by Reed Goodwin
...Now the question is, does the girl want to learn how to do that herself?

If it was my daughter she would have also been asking for bright pink nail polish.

Cute story. :D

Sounds very interesting Kevin. I would never put CA on anything like that. But thats just me. LOL

Originally posted by Rocket Guy 1317
Sounds very interesting Kevin. I would never put CA on anything like that. But thats just me. LOL

But that's just the sort of thing that Kodak developed CA for...
i.e. a battlefield surgical bioadhesive for sutureless surgery.

Of course, it can be awkward after surgery when you wake up and find the surgeon cooling his heels with his hand stuck to your wound....:p

I've done almost the same thing when my daughter stubbed her toe and cracked the nail badly. CA worked well to bond the jagged split together. I didn't use a Dremel to smooth it out though; the toe was still pretty tender.

CA is great for small cuts and some larger ones too, I saved myself probably $300(ER Trip) with CA on a nasty cut. Its great stuff almost as many uses as duck tape and bailing wire!

Back