Project Paper: A Study on Sloped Armor

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tg08

Reaction score
Not necessarily rocketry related, but a little engineering side project. Project Paper is going to be my side project that hopes to model the effectiveness of sloped armor on tanks using a shot fired from a BB gun. I also hope to build a R/C tank that can have easily replaceable paper armor, but that is in the far far future. I am just now getting started on the control experiments. Check it out here, let me know if you like it.

Be careful. Successful paper armor will deflect your shot. Ricochet, Ricochet. DON'T POKE YOUR EYE OUT!

How about some history. T34 sloped armor myths, it was the first...right? Civil War Ironclads. David's sling vs. Goliath's armor. Ancient sea critters biting through shells. The development of protein shells to encapsulate and protect other big protein molecules making copies of themselves.

Sloped armor with us since the very beginning! Nowadays, how do you counter those new fangled Russian Turtle Tanks? I bet the solution includes some sort of rocket and jets. ;)

That's actually the first I've heard of those turtle tanks. Seems like it might be effective against the explosive drones it is meant to counter. Only down side is that it limits the turret traverse, essentially turning it into a casemate tank destroyer. Probably not too harmful for the type of combat environment it is in. I'd reckon a bunker buster could take that tank out.

Back