The White Knight (Dick Trickle) has gone home.....

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SS/EA 6BBL 71 Cuda

Reaction score
It was quite a surprise for me last night watching the evening news getting ready to head into work and, see that the second to last story was about the loss of Stock Car racing legend Richard "Dick" Trickle due too an apparent suicide......

Some of you "Cheese Munchers" i'm sure will know the name but, for someone like me who grew up in central Wisconsin in the late 70's and, early 80's.....it was synonymous with some of the best short track stock car racing.

Out in the dusty corn and, potato fields of Plover Wisconsin lies a small 1/3 mile high banked paved oval track......called Golden Sands Speedway.....A short two mile bike ride from our old house....I'll give you three guesses where i was every Friday night during the summer.

I knew EVERY way too get into the place without paying admission and, those hot summer nights yielded some very lasting memories from that time in my life. Miller, Reffner, Marcis, Marzofka.....Detjens, just too name a few. This was where the "Gods" of short track ASA racing did battle.

Over time i got too know his family.....there pretty much all the same....short, stocky....slightly hunched over and, talked in low tones....chain smoking Winston's.
Tough....but, good people.
I even had the honor too crew for a local car based out of the very same garage he started in.......over in Rudolph Wisconsin. Man, if the walls of that place could have talked!

I ran a few laps around the Speedway one night to warm up a friends car.....and, from there i decided i liked straight line acceleration....a whole lot more.
It really takes some BRASS to man-handle a short track car.....on dirt or asphalt, no matter where you are.

One thing i will always remember is that he was a true genius behind the wheel.....he had a gift. His NASCAR career didn't fare as well but, he was incredible too see at work on the small rings.

Was he fast?......damn fast.....
Was he good?.......damn good.....
What was he like?.......Good ole Wisconsin boy, salt of the earth.....good to youngsters like me........

I don't understand suicide, guess i just can't wrap my mind around the thought of leaving too early in life.....on you own terms. Just wanted too say that i hope that whatever caused the pain....whatever the issues he may have faced.

That he's in a better way now.

Rick? Thank-you for all the great memories...........:sigh:

Last edited:
I went to Atlanta, Daytona, Talladega in late 60's early 70's loved to watch him race..the 'old' bunch could tear up some asphalt. Don't care much for the cookie cutter stuff now days.

Back