The unintentional sugar detox (or how I learned something about myself in 9 days)

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Heyy good for you Jarrett..
That's the best news in the world..
I'm really jealous man..
I've been having a hard time getting back into it..
I promise myself,, I'm gonna get serious about being healthy..
Good for you man..

Teddy

That's great Jarret, my prayers to you for a speed-(ier) recovery so you can have some of that succulent chocolate mousse, yum!

Nice, Jarrett.

Maybe you can find time to ride a bit more, like 10-15 minutes a day, weather and personal schedule permitting, in addition to a big ride each week when you can.

- George Gassaway

nice ride, Salsa makes good bikes. Love disk brakes!
Brief update:
It is astonishing how much better I feel. I have not had soda with all it's evil in 3 weeks. I have not had fake caffeine either. What caffeine I do take comes from unsweetened ice tea. I have been eating healthy meals and avoiding sugary snacks. I will have a bite of Lu's dessert from time to time but find them way too sweet. No candy bars, no chips no needless crap. I will allow a jello or jello pudding (yum) just because I deserve it. Now here is the kicker, I expected to add a little weight since leaving the hospital because I have started eating solid foods regularly. I haven't though, I have actually lost weight. I am down to 224 which is about 16 pounds lighter than I was a month ago. I can actually concentrate on task and my performance at work has improved. I am no longer tired all the time and I don't get as angry or stressed out as I did frequently before. I feel like I am closer to the person God designed me to be, still have some work though.

Now for the fun stuff. I bought a damn sexy bike I couldn't afford. I figured it would be a great way to slowly build my endurance and have a good time doing it. I went for a very small ride yesterday, around 5 miles but I felt great the entire time. I could have gone farther but I did not know how I would feel in the morning and did not want to push it. So each Sat or Sun morning depending on Luisa's schedule, I will be on my bike tooling around back country roads looking for nothing in particular and in no hurry doing it. But there will be calories burned and sweat lost. Not sure how all this will cut into my rocketry though, I guess that depends on the upcoming burn bans and how much I will actually be able to fly. All things in moderation I suppose!

DSC_0014-L.jpg

Now for the fun stuff. I bought a damn sexy bike I couldn't afford...... All things in moderation I suppose!

Silly boy, neither bicycles or rockets should be taken in moderation.

😎

I am considering a new ride - Specialzed has a new line in drop handle all terrain bikes. I think the buzzword is "gravel bike".

Last edited:
Quick little update. I had my colonoscopy this morning and all is well. The perforation is completely healed and diverticulum is very minor and there were no other bits of foul play found. I am officially better off now that before this all started. The scale this morning said 216 so I am still on target with the weight loss.

I have had a lot of time to ponder this whole thing and I keep coming back to this ordeal being a gift from God. Honestly without the time in the hospital, I never would have had the strength to kick the excessive sugar on my own. Stopping the soda intake has made my life better in every way conceivable. Soda as I am finding out is really bad for you in all sorts of ways but I won't preach. I didn't like that before so I won't do it now. My endurance is way better which should come in handy on those long walk rocket retrievals. Life is good and I appreciate it so much more now.

BTW if you don't have a bike yet, buy one. If you do have a bike, ride it. That is all.

Back