The Tower of Power N1000 flight to 34,785 ft

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Video of my recent flight at the NCR August launch out on the Pawnee grasslands. Rocket is a 5 inch diameter, 6ft 10 inch tall fiberglass rocket. Weight on the pad 38lbs. Burn out weight 19 lbs. Rocket flew to an Altitude of 34,785 at mach 2.4 on an Aerotech N1000. Recovered inside the waiver ready to be flown again 2.6 miles away. Hope you enjoy the video. Picture and video credits to George Barnes IV

Like the Duke would say after drinking a strong whiskey at the Old West Saloon; "THAT AIN'T FER CHILDREN!" Bar keep, give me entire bottle.

I feel the need for speed ... and altitude!

All desires satiated. Both subtle and gross.

Some fear the whip of the quarter inch rod. Fear not the whip of the rail!

<<snip>>

Some fear the whip of the quarter inch rod. Fear not the whip of the rail!
Interesting statement @Daddyisabar ...

Rail whip came up in a discussion this week on the AARG Member Forum when I asked about setting up an 80/20 2020 rail for mini rail buttons ...

Being a new member, I didn't know this but all the AARG Rails have a 3/4 inch pipe backing.

And now I am on the lookout for rail whip ...

Do you think there was a little rail whip in the video at 1:33 ( note the oscillating rail after the smoke clears ) and 2:24 ( note the slight immediate turn ) ?

-- kjh

Rail whip came up in a discussion this week on the AARG Member Forum when I asked about setting up an 80/20 2020 rail for mini rail buttons ...

Being a new member, I didn't know this but all the AARG Rails have a 3/4 inch pipe backing.

Do you think there was a little rail whip in the video at 1:33 ( note the oscillating rail after the smoke clears ) and 2:24 ( note the slight immediate turn ) ?

-- kjh

Thats a large 1515 rail on a 1 inch solid post mount. The rocket leaving the rail was pretty stout. Yes definitely some whip.

Thats a large 1515 rail on a 1 inch solid post mount. The rocket leaving the rail was pretty stout. Yes definitely some whip.
Now I've done it ... :oops:

I didn't mean to diminish your Awesome Flight @Conway Stevens !

This discussion came up just yesterday on the AARG group and now I am watching the rails at liftoff.

But I am really curious ... Does your Blue Raven gyro data show anything about the time Tower of Power leaves the rail ?

-- kjh

WOW, how did you track it down?
@Hobie1dog i fly using featherweight GPS tracker. This is my 4th flight this year over 30k and all tracked and recovered. The altitude data for the flight is the GPS as TRA altitude rules (not that its an altitude attempt) for flights over 30k msl use gps numbers not altimeters

Now I've done it ... :oops:

I didn't mean to diminish your Awesome Flight @Conway Stevens !

This discussion came up just yesterday on the AARG group and now I am watching the rails at liftoff.

But I am really curious ... Does your Blue Raven gyro data show anything about the time Tower of Power leaves the rail ?

-- kjh
No worries. Honestly i havent taken the time to look at all the data yet to see. It was a single day of flying, i managed to get 3 flights off that day with more than 65,000 ft of accumulated altitude and have been busy since with home and work.

White man bring strong medicine to high plains. Rail whip will awaken great spirit of Pawnee Thunderbird. So say the White Buffalo.

View attachment 598918
Seriously, I don't think a little force absorbed by a rail on THE TOWER OF POWER will bother the Top Men at NCR.

@Daddyisabar this is funny stuff! And we aint skerd of a little whip. For a long burn motor it came off the pad pretty fast and hard.

-- kjh
I don't think the rail flexed/whipped. The oscillation seems to coming from the pad, not the rail. Too much rocket on too small of pad?

I don't think the rail flexed/whipped. The oscillation seems to coming from the pad, not the rail. Too much rocket on too small of pad?
Definitely not to small of pad and to much rocket. This pad os extremely large. Extremely heavy. Has a large footprint. Has launched many larger rockets weighing closer to 80 and 100lbs with flights from M to O My rocket pad weight was 38 lbs.so far from to much rocket for the pad.

Last edited:
Definitely not to small of pad and to muvh rocket. This pad os extremely large. Extremely heavy. Has a large footprint. Has launched many larger rockets weighing closer to 80 and 100lbs with flights from M to O My rocket pad weight was 38 lbs.so far from to much rocket for the pad.
How is the rail attached to the pad? That seemed to be where the flexing came from.
Our club puts weight limits on our 1010 & 1515 pads, not because of the rail, but because of how the pads are built.

How is the rail attached to the pad? That seemed to be where the flexing came from.
Our club puts weight limits on our 1010 & 1515 pads, not because of the rail, but because of how the pads are built.
Again not an issue. Its solid mounted with a fixed bracket pivot that locks it in place with supports that keep the mount from moving. The flight did have a large thrust amount at 14:1 thrust off the pad. So its possible the thrust was just kickin. Not to worried about it. It was plenty for this flight and many others the club has had over 26 years. Everything is just speculation of the movement seen.

Actually would prefer the discussion not be about Rail whip. It wasnt an issue obviously with an Altitude of almost 35k ft and a perfect looking flight.

Wow, that was a great flight! I’m equally impressed by the relatively close recovery for a 35k’ flight. And nicely painted to boot!

Congrats on that.

Tony
@manixFan thank you Tony. Im not sure if its by luck or planned. Either way i will take it. Thats my 4th flight over 30k this year. The farthest one landing was 5.2 miles. It went 32k on an M1850 minimum diameter. Winds aloft were not that friendly at 80mph at Fl300. The N1000 flight had 3 mph ground winds with winds at Fl350 at only 45mph. My best for the year was my K motor flight to 31,374 and landing 4900 ft away. Same kind of upper level winds.

Nice flight man congrats!!

Looks almost like my Comp 5 without the payload bay, giving me ideas… lol
Similar, but with changes made to fin size as well Its a head end deployment with a long single booster section. Was looking for room to fit an O plus fly the N and keep it relatively light

Wow, that was a great flight! I’m equally impressed by the relatively close recovery for a 35k’ flight. And nicely painted to boot!

Congrats on that.
Yes, definitely a great flight and a beautiful rocket !

Congratulations, Conway, on all three flights:

No worries. Honestly i havent taken the time to look at all the data yet to see. It was a single day of flying, i managed to get 3 flights off that day with more than 65,000 ft of accumulated altitude and have been busy since with home and work.
Wow !

65,000 feet accumulated altitude in three flights in one day !

Holy cow !

Catch your breath :)

I'll definitely be watching for more when you've got time to share it.

-- kjh

Video of my recent flight at the NCR August launch out on the Pawnee grasslands. Rocket is a 5 inch diameter, 6ft 10 inch tall fiberglass rocket. Weight on the pad 38lbs. Burn out weight 19 lbs. Rocket flew to an Altitude of 34,785 at mach 2.4 on an Aerotech N1000. Recovered inside the waiver ready to be flown again 2.6 miles away. Hope you enjoy the video. Picture and video credits to George Barnes IV

Great Flight !!! Love the Paint !!!

Looking at the last still shot, was it HED ?

Yes, definitely a great flight and a beautiful rocket !

Congratulations, Conway, on all three flights:

Wow !

65,000 feet accumulated altitude in three flights in one day !

Holy cow !

Catch your breath :)

I'll definitely be watching for more when you've got time to share it.

-- kjh
Thank you KJH much appreciated. My best by far would be 1 day 3 flights over 85k. Would like to break the majic 100k in a day for that. The real task is recovery, and staying inside the waiver.

Back