The Rocketeer is getting the reboot treatment

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
then again........

Untitled-13.jpg

A possible reason for the casting decision I haven't seen mentioned yet:

Some filthy effin' capitalist at Disney thinks they might sell a ticket or two to the non-obsessed-with-anything-with-the-word-rocket-in-it movie going public. :2:

If they get Jennifer Connelly signed on I'm in. Or Jessica Chastain. Or that one from the ATT commercials. :p

Glad I'm not the only one that noticed....

But if it is anything like its predecessor, they won't handle it in any way that is realistic or compelling. They will try to make it a "feel good" story that glosses over the realities of that situation.

The first question I would ask is: were there any female African-American pilots in the 1950s? No? Then how can you have a realistic portrayal of something that has no historical precedent?

That's why I feel that way too.

Shouldn't we be making movies about our real War Heroes?
I'm no Hero by any stretch, but I did serve three years in the Army because my Grandpa was my Hero, and he fought in a War that makes Iraq look like a Tea Party. A Pilot in the pacific with the Navy, he flew spotter planes, and was shot down twice, but successfully made it back to safety by doing everything that needed to be done. He had a real rough go of it apparently when he returned home, but I've only heard the stories, and it is nothing he will ever speak about, even when I had been to war myself and went to hang out with him to see if maybe he could tell me how it really is, but he did'nt.
Some if the things I did were inspired by stories I had heard about Grandpa, and as time goes on, some of those stories I believed turned out to be confabulated creations of my own mind, having heard them in my youth, and re-written their significance to suit my personal Ego and desires. It was a funny moment when I realized this.

Anyway, I'll always be honored to know my Grandpa, a real Hero, and the reason I am inspired to face every day with a passionate love for my very existence.

98 yrs. of age, and still in absolute control, most of the time. The most honorable and dignified Gentleman I will ever have the pleasure of knowing, even if I may not know him entirely. Totally a Trooper my Grandpa!
It's a terrible shame we are separated by state lines as fellow Americans, but that's just the way and so be it.
The Founding Fathers are rolling at the hypocrisy! A Nation founded on principles of Freedom now again sharply divided by ways of Race and Desperation.
A Nation of derision we have indeed become.
Laughed at by other Nations and even "Nation States", and taking it on the chin like we owe them something for our "American Digressions".:mad:
I know when I go "On Tour", there is no "Apology Parade", and quite the contrary...but I digress...
The doorknob of opportunity is only present to those that may grasp it.

I'm sick of the re-writing of History!!!

I'm glad I learned to speak like him.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dVGINIsLnqU

Last edited:
That one would be.....Milana Vayntrub and WOW!

Yeah... that one ! :grin::grin: I feel like I should be begging pardon for having a bit of fun with a classic in this thread. I haven't seen The Rocketeer in years but I remember it being an overly campy attempt at a Raiders of the Lost Ark vibe. Needed the Lucas/Spielberg movie serial love I guess. Yep, Milana and a GeeBee and I'm all in. :)

A possible reason for the casting decision I haven't seen mentioned yet:

Some filthy effin' capitalist at Disney thinks they might sell a ticket or two to the non-obsessed-with-anything-with-the-word-rocket-in-it movie going public. :2:

If they get Jennifer Connelly signed on I'm in. Or Jessica Chastain. Or that one from the ATT commercials. :p

I'd be good with any of those, especially the latter. Though if they did cast Connelly, they'd have to explain why she aged 25 years in 5 or 6 timeline years...

I'm not against having a woman, or black Rocketeer. But When it's the lead-in headline, It's being done for the attention that will bring, and to fluff the feel good aspect.

Historical accuracy is of no importance to me :) I'll be watching this regardless. The first rocketeer was great, but a box office flop. /disney re-cuts are typically B grade. This is a move meant to pump up a weak film

"hey these 5 projects are kinda crap" "well pick one, give it a black female lead and at least we can say we tried"

I think that's something like what I was trying to say.

If you come out and say that your lead character is an African-American female, then what are you trying to communicate? Obviously you are expecting the audience to see this as having some kind of social relevance. Only it won't, because life was often painful for African-American females prior to the gender rights and civil rights movement. But they won't capture that in the film in any meaningful way, because they won't want to offend anyone, and they will want it to be palatable to kids.

So if you are going to make it family-friendly and appealing to kids, then the only thing you can possibly be doing by making the statement that the lead will be an African-American female is trying to make yourself look PC, pro-rights, and progressive.

People that often compliment themselves do so because no one else is complimenting them. Likewise, a film that has to advertise itself as politically correct, sensitive and progressive, probably won't be.

Am I making sense now?

If you come out and say that your lead character is an African-American female, then what are you trying to communicate? Obviously you are expecting the audience to see this as having some kind of social relevance.

Or, you could be saying "hey, we're going to try this from a different point of view". And my response is "Well, that could be interesting. Let's see if it's a good movie before condemning it."

Or, you could be saying "hey, we're going to try this from a different point of view". And my response is "Well, that could be interesting. Let's see if it's a good movie before condemning it."

Fair enough.

I think that's something like what I was trying to say.

If you come out and say that your lead character is an African-American female, then what are you trying to communicate? Obviously you are expecting the audience to see this as having some kind of social relevance. Only it won't, because life was often painful for African-American females prior to the gender rights and civil rights movement. But they won't capture that in the film in any meaningful way, because they won't want to offend anyone, and they will want it to be palatable to kids.

So if you are going to make it family-friendly and appealing to kids, then the only thing you can possibly be doing by making the statement that the lead will be an African-American female is trying to make yourself look PC, pro-rights, and progressive.

People that often compliment themselves do so because no one else is complimenting them. Likewise, a film that has to advertise itself as politically correct, sensitive and progressive, probably won't be.

Am I making sense now?

I gotta say, giggin' you about a post here is a lot less fun when you come back with a serious reply like this. Relax, it's only a comic book movie. :)

I gotta say, giggin' you about a post here is a lot less fun when you come back with a serious reply like this. Relax, it's only a comic book movie. :)

Who said life was supposed to be fun? :tongue:

We may be missing the time honored Hollywood casting method: A vehicle for the producers smokin' hot girlfriend ! :wink:

Or, "soon to be" smokin' hot girlfriend. We'll keep our eye on the tabloids.

Who said life was supposed to be fun? :tongue:

I don't know but I'm guessin' it wasn't you. :tongue:

Maybe it was the guy who wrote the line in Ecclesiastes about "... eat, drink and be merry...". Or maybe it was the guy who wrote this recently translated addendum found in the Dead Sea Scrolls "Life is serious but discussions about comic book movies, not so much."

I don't know but I'm guessin' it wasn't you. :tongue:

Maybe it was the guy who wrote the line in Ecclesiastes about "... eat, drink and be merry...". Or maybe it was the guy who wrote this recently translated addendum found in the Dead Sea Scrolls "Life is serious but discussions about comic book movies, not so much."

I've always figured that if you weren't having fun, you're doing it wrong. There are, however, a lot of people doing it wrong. I think we can all agree, though, that the standard answer for that is needs more thrust... :cool:

I've always figured that if you weren't having fun, you're doing it wrong. There are, however, a lot of people doing it wrong. I think we can all agree, though, that the standard answer for that is needs more thrust... :cool:

My wife's constant complaint.

Woops! Wrong forum....

Is the producer doing the AT&T girl?

:surprised: Aw cheez, is that all you barbarians think about ? But I think you're on to something Thirsty. The story the OP linked to said the new movie will be called "The Rocketeers" (plural) but only one lead character is mentioned: "... a young African-American female pilot". But teaming her up with the AT&T girl makes the title right. Add a little undercurrent of sexual tension and zippity do da day, we got ourselves a movie ! :gavel:

Last edited:

Ha! Ha! Quite right !

Latest posts

Back