The "nuclear warheads I find most interesting" series

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Winston

Lorenzo von Matterhorn
Reaction score
Where does the "6 kiloton/kilogram" maximum achievable yield-to-weight ratio figure for nuclear weapons comes from?
Updated Nov 26, 2017

https://www.quora.com/Where-does-th...t-ratio-figure-for-nuclear-weapons-comes-from

This has been called the "Taylor limit" after an article in Scientific American: Third-Generation Nuclear Weapons, Scientific American, 4/1987, pp. 30-39) by physicist Ted Taylor who cited this value as a practical limit. Computing the reported weights and yields of known test devices and weapons confirms that no known device exceeds this.

The reason for the limit seems to be efficiency limits that exist in trying to compress a thick layer of fusion fuel without heating it up (which limits compression, and thus burn rate) in the time available before the bomb disassembles, and practical fusion tamper to fusion fuel mass ratios in a compact device. The amount of fusion you can get for given mass of fusion tamper limits the bomb yield to weight ratio.

As you mention, there is evidence that it can be exceeded.

And here, for the first time in public print anywhere, I will tell you how the design that the 1963 document alludes to works.

At the very end of the atmospheric testing period research in how to make very small fusion explosions (the earliest work in inertial confinement fusion) studied the optimal compression scheme for fusion fuel implosions.

To get the most efficient fusion fuel compression you need to compress the fuel with an exponentially increasing driving pressure. The problem is the pressure wave velocity depends on the pressure, so the long, low pressure phase takes a long time to transit to the center of the fuel mass. If it takes a long time the fission primary blows the bomb up before implosion is complete.

The way ICF fusion targets do it is to use a thin shell of fuel (thus the fuel mass is mostly empty space), and a carefully ramped up laser beam. The fuel shell gets highly compressed right at the start of the implosion, and stays that way during the high velocity collapse to the center.

So the Lawrence Livermore physicist doing this research, John Nuckolls, designed test devices that work this same way (though this was before any laser fusion experimental work had been done). The device design was called RIPPLE (I presume because to the pressure wave feature). There is an audio recording of President Kennedy being briefed on this breakthrough in July 1962, though 35 seconds are cut out where the technical details are described.

A large thin spherical shell of fusion fuel, and an energy barrier that initially leaked energy into the radiation case slowly was used.

This approach was first tested in the Pamlico shot (3.9 megatons) of Operation Dominic on 11 July 1962. A more sophisticated version, RIPPLE II, was tested in the Androscoggin shot of Operation Dominic on October 1, 1963 which fizzled due to a design error. After a hasty modification the design was retested in the Housatonic shot, which gave a yield 8.3 megatons on October 30. The YTW ratio for this last shot was 2.56 kt/kg, but did not represent the full potential of the design approach (and thus the possibility of a 35 Mt warhead on a Titan II). The tested designs were still preliminary and had been developed with limited resources on a very hasty schedule to get them into the Dominic series before it was closed.

This technology was never incorporated into a weapon though. Why? Because it requires a very large volume device. Modern ICBM RVs are needle-like cones, with very limited volume, so that they travel quickly in the atmosphere, and cruise missiles have limited diameters also.

Multiple warheads in cruise missiles, or MIRVed ICBMs use explosive energy more efficiently than giant single explosions, and are more flexible and versatile, so this is the direction in which nuclear weapon systems have evolved. Modern warheads actually only have ratios of ~2 kt/kg because there are more important things in design than how much explosion for how much warhead weight (survivability, safety, multiple fuzing options, variable yield, etc.).

[The link between LLNL ICF research and the Dominic test series was only published in the last few years.]

Test: Housatonic
Time: 16:01 30 October 1962 (GMT)
Test Height and Type: B-52 Airdrop; 12,130 Feet
Yield: 8300 kt
Device Diameter (inches): 56.2
Device Length (inches): 147.9
Device Weight (lb.): 7139.55

This LRL airdrop was the final nuclear weapon airdrop by the U.S. The device tested was a Ripple II in a Mk-36 drop case, and it was delivered with near-perfect accuracy (bombing error less than 100 feet). This was a repeat of the failed Androscoggin and was spectacularly successful, resulting in the highest yield of the Dominic test series. The yield-to-weight ratio was 2.56 kt/kg.

8375560336_0803442c97_b.jpg

yield-to-weight.png

Operation Hardtack I
Test: Juniper
Time: 04:20 22 July 1958 (GMT)
16:20 22 July 1958 (local)
Test Height and Type: Barge, 12 feet
Yield: 65 kt

This shot, the last Bikini atmospheric test, was an exploratory shot by UCRL attempting to dramatically reduce the size and weight of a nominally 1 megaton warhead. Alumni of the UCRL weapons program from this period have described this test as the "most radical UCRL shot" and an "entirely new concept". This led eventually to the development of the W-47 Polaris missile warhead which considerably reduced the size of megaton class warheads. The degree of novelty can be judged by the range of predicted yields 0.2 kt to 60 kt, i.e. the possibility of complete failure of the boosted primary and the secondary stage was considered possible (0.2 kt is approximately the yield of a boosted primary that fails to boost). The test was a complete success.

The 167.5 lb test device had a diameter of 14.4 inches, and a length of 15.3 inches.

So, it weighed 1/62th the weight of Fat Man, but had three times the yield.

Operation Hardtack II (MUCH further W-47 experimentation in pursuit of absolutely minimum mass & therefore many fizzles)

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Operation_Hardtack_II

W-47

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/W-47#cite_note-globalsecurity-3

The W-47 was an American thermonuclear warhead used on the Polaris A-1 sub-launched ballistic missile system. Various models were in service from 1960 through the end of 1974. The warhead was developed by the Lawrence Radiation Laboratory between 1957 and 1960.[1]

The W-47 was 18 in (460 mm) in diameter and 47 in (1,200 mm) long, and weighed 720 lb (330 kg) in the Y1 model and 733 lb (332 kg) in the Y2 model. The Y1 model had design yield of 600 kilotons and the Y2 model had a doubled design yield of 1.2 megatons. [2] The W-47 was the first warhead with a new, miniaturized pit.[3] The aerodynamic flare at the base provided stability of orientation during descent. Two small rocket motors were used to spin the warhead for better stability and symmetry during reentry.

The W-47 is the only US ICBM or SLBM warhead to have been live fired in an atmospheric missile and warhead test, on May 6, 1962. This event took place during shot Frigate Bird which was part of the Dominic test series. While stationed off Johnston Island, the American submarine USS Ethan Allen fired a Polaris-A2 missile at an open ocean target point in the vicinity of Palmyra Atoll, south of Hawaii. The missile traveled a distance of 1,020 nmi (1,890 km; 1,170 mi). The test was observed by two submerged US submarines stationed approximately 30 miles from the target point, the USS Carbonero and the USS Medregal. The missile warhead detonated at 23:30 GMT on May 6, 1962, approximately 2 km from the designated target point, and at the target altitude of 11,000 ft (3,400 m). The detonation was successful and had the full design yield of approximately 1.2 megatons. The shot was designed to improve confidence in the US ballistic missile systems, though even after the test there was considerable controversy. This was partly because it was revealed that the warhead selected for the test had undergone modifications before testing and was not necessarily representative of the stockpile.[4]

The history of the W-47 warhead had a serious series of reliability problems with the warhead design. 300 of the EC-47 production prototype model were produced from April 1960 through June 1960, and were all promptly retired in June 1960 due to reliability concerns. Production of Y1 and Y2 models then proceeded in 1960 through 1964. A total of 1060 Y1 and Y2 models were produced, but they were found to have so many reliability problems that no more than 300 were ever in service at any given time. In 1966, 75% of the stockpiled Y2 warheads were thought to be defective and unusable. Repair programs continued for some time.

A number of the Polaris warheads were replaced in the early 1960s, when corrosion of the pits was discovered during routine maintenance.

Failures of the W45, W-47, and W52 warheads are still an active part of the debate about the reliability of the US nuclear weapons force moving into the future, without ongoing nuclear testing.[5]

A one-point safety test performed on the W-47 warhead just prior the 1958 moratorium (Hardtack/Neptune) failed, yielding a 100-ton explosion. Because the test ban prohibited the testing needed for inherently safe one-point safe designs, a makeshift solution was adopted: a boron-cadmium wire was folded inside the pit during manufacture, and pulled out by a small motor during the warhead arming process. Unfortunately, this wire had a tendency to become brittle during storage, and break or get stuck during arming, which prevented complete removal and rendered the warhead a dud. It was estimated that 50-75% of warheads would fail. This required a complete rebuild of the W-47 primaries.[6] The oil used for lubricating the wire also promoted corrosion of the pit.[7]

W-47

https://www.globalsecurity.org/wmd/systems/W-47.htm

By shaping the plutonium pit into an ovoid [like a small watermelon, smaller than a football], Livermore weapons designers were able to dramatically reduce the size and number of explosives needed to detonate the bomb. The W-47 was the first warhead in this new generation of weapons. Although it was only half as large as the bomb that leveled Hiroshima, but it had 80 times the yield.

Polaris was a turning point in nuclear weapon design. Physicist Edward Teller, a driving force behind Livermore's founding and its director from 1958 to 1960, championed the effort to develop small, efficient thermonuclear weapons that could be carried by submarine. For Polaris, Livermore designers came up with radical new designs for the primary and secondary as well as novel ways to minimize the overall mass. The result-a weapon for a reentry vehicle carried by a solid-fueled missile-fit inside a submarine and met Navy specifications for yield and weight. Polaris was a critically important breakthrough, greatly adding to the stability of the nuclear deterrent.

LOTS of fizzles during development as can be seen at the Wikipedia listing of test results during Operation Hardtack II.

Lightweight primary fizzle:

Lightweight primary full yield:

Last edited:
Can I ask a question. Why does it seem that the USSR and Now Russia seems to make or have larger more powerful nuclear warheads than does the USA on their MIRV? this relates to this question: if you're in a nuclear war and you have 5000 250kt missiles and your opponent has 5000 I mt missiles, who's likely to win that shootout? Who's likely to do more damage to the other? It seems to me the USA has mostly small fission and fusion weapons and Russia has much larger fission/fusion weapons.... with smaller warheads you have to launch more to do the same amount of damage as 1 large warhead......

I have heard the US has smaller yields because our aim is better. Dropping a 250kt warhead on target is better than a 1MT warhead 1 mile from target. At least that was the thinking back in the day when I knew people who did those kind of calculations.

And smaller warheads means smaller missiles and bombs, so easier to deliver, less cost, etc.

And who is likely to win a shootout? Really? No one!

I have heard the US has smaller yields because our aim is better. Dropping a 250kt warhead on target is better than a 1MT warhead 1 mile from target. At least that was the thinking back in the day when I knew people who did those kind of calculations.

And smaller warheads means smaller missiles and bombs, so easier to deliver, less cost, etc.

And who is likely to win a shootout? Really? No one!
I used the online nuclear bomb simulator to drop a 0.8 megaton warhead on Ft. Knox, which I live like 4 miles from.....I'm toast. I think I need to move.

This was a "PR" test of the F-106's "Special Weapon"... mostly to calm any Canadian concerns about having a "nuke" detonated at altitude above their Nation...

Back