The NEW North Coast ARGO D-4 JAVELIN ( 1:11.7 ) "Sport Model"

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Someone land the plane for me. That looks a lot like an Estes BT-60 nose cone for the Big Bertha/Baby Bertha. But Quest doesn't make fin cans that fit BT-60. Quest does have a similar nose cone for its T40 tubing, which is close to BT-60 size, but I can't find a Quest kit that has a fin can anything like those in T40 size. Also, it's not easy to find quality closeups of the Quest fin cans, but the one-piece cans don't seem to have the wedge LE/TE of the North Coast kit. Someone should point to exactly what parts they think these are.
The Payload Section is larger in diameter than the Nike booster . . . ( See data above )

QUEST fin cans . . . ( Nike Smoke, in this case . . . Used on other Quest kits, as well, Nike-K, Brighthawk, and Falcon, for example. )

1685631849838.png

1685632111656.png

1685631954476.png

1685632350695.png

1685632696260.png

1685633330895.png

Dave F.

Last edited:
That Nike fin can looks right to me. In which case, I reckon it's also a Quest nose cone.

https://aerotech-rocketry.com/products/40mm-plastic-nose-cone-q20400
The shape looks more like the Apogee picture than the Estes Bertha nose in several details.

I don't really view the slip-over as being any kind of substitute for the Nike fin can. Totally different things.

The color scheme used by Alan Bland in the late 1970's, it has more colors than the common fluorescent orange, yellow and white version.

This is flight 8.21GI

NASA_WALLOPS W-63-128LR.jpgNASA_WALLOPS W-63-129LR.jpgNASA_WALLOPS W-63-130LR.jpg

The color scheme used by Alan Bland in the late 1970's, it has more colors than the common fluorescent orange, yellow and white version.

This is flight 8.21GI
Very nice . . . Great pics !

I applied a little "magic" to try to restore the original hues that faded with time. ( not "perfect" )

Dave F.

500698-bb54982f010eee7638752a75c51ee52b - ADJ.jpg500699-77e9286fe708e24206518679802bd713 - ADJ.jpg500701-a1316fae014d52179cfde2cfbf2db749 - ADJ.jpg

Last edited:
I read something about that once. It has to do with some sort of weather thing or maybe it was frost build up. It was to keep the rocket free of some sort of something and would stay on until launch time.

Big help, right?

:) Bob

I read something about that once. It has to do with some sort of weather thing or maybe it was frost build up. It was to keep the rocket free of some sort of something and would stay on until launch time.

Big help, right?

:) Bob
Big enough . . .

The only question is, "Was it removed before launch or ripped off by the airflow, after launch ?

Dave F.

Also, a "heads-up" about the Apogee price mark-up was included.
I'm not into scale, but it seems like a well built kit at a reasonable price.

You folks sure are hard on Apogee Components. They provide a service, and need to pay for those in order to survive.

Keep using them as a research source and not buying from them, and they'll be gone.

Last edited:
I'm not into scale, but it seems like a well built kit at a reasonable price.

You folks sure are hard on Apogee Components. They provide a service, and need to pay for those in order to survive.

Keep using them as a research source and not buying from them, and they'll be gone.
Here's how I look at it.

First, a 22% markup on the same product I can buy from the original manufacturer is a non-starter. I buy from Apogee, but only Apogee components; I'll buy other products directly from the source. I'm not stupid (and I love Rocksim!).

Second, Apogee is the ONLY vendor I can find that does markups like this. Chris' Rocket Supplies sells LOC, Estes, Aerotech, Composite Warehouse and Quest kits. All are priced at the manufacturer's price (no markup) OR LESS. Same with eRockets. Same with BuyRocketMotors. Same with Off We Go Rocketry. Some of their prices may be lower due to older inventory that was obtained at a lower price, but no other vendor marks up another vendor's kits - except Apogee.

Back