The Building of an Estes Saturn V

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dogsbd

Reaction score
I won it on Ebay, it should be here tomorrow. Its the re-release #2001 kit and I'm thinking of modifing it for a 29mm motor mount. I'll at least modify to accept Estes E engines. Any advise in this regard would be greatly appreciated as well as any other tips from those who have built this or another Estes version of the Saturn V.

I'd advise against the 29mm mount -- it will add a lot of complexity to the build. The Estes Saturn V is really pretty light, and flies really well on the Aerotech E15 or E30 single use motors, and these fit in the standard mount. Also fine, and my choice, are the 24mm reloads from Aerotech -- E18, E28, F24. The only change is that the tip of the motor clip needs to be filed or ground down just a little. The delay cavity of the 24mm hardware doesn't slide past it very well. If trimmed properly, it still will hold a D12 (although I'd not be too inclined to fly a Saturn V on one).

I put dual motor clips on the motor tube, to make sure the motor stays put. Also, I substituted LOC 24mm motor tube for the standard BT-50 motor tube for durability. I stuck with the stock cardboard rings, but added spruce braces on the top side of the aft ring (so it doesn't show). These are essentally "spokes" that go out radially on the centering rings. Adds some strength for the stronger Aerotech motors, but hardly any extra weight.

I also soaked the balsa fins in CA to toughen them. I used an internal launch lug, running through the transition with a small oval hole. I would not do this again. I think I would just put on removable rail buttons. Those small holes would be mostly unnoticable, and the internal lug means either leaving an oval hole in transition, or making some kind of "remove before flight" hatchcover.

The "V" is a fun project. I have three more in the box (various editions), plus three Estes Saturn 1Bs, plus the Apogee 1B. I need to retire soon if I ever paln on having time to build these!

Good luck.

Thanks Lee, sounds like good advice. I think I will stay with 24mm motor mount, "F" reloads should be all she ever needs.

I think this would be a good project thread for some pictures. Do you have a dig cam? Would really like to see the progress of this build! Good Luck!

Has anyone else noticed how focused Lee seems to be on this retirement thing? :D

Originally posted by flying_silverad
I think this would be a good project thread for some pictures. Do you have a dig cam? Would really like to see the progress of this build! Good Luck!

I don't have a digital camera, but I may have by the time I start this project! :)

Regardless I'll take pictures, either film or electrons.

Originally posted by KermieD
Has anyone else noticed how focused Lee seems to be on this retirement thing? :D

You've got that right! After being off work for quite awhile, I think I got used to it! This is the first time I've posted since I started work a month ago, I think. I'm going to have to ask my wife for directions to my shop!
:D

I would suggest that you don't fly the Saturn V with an E9.... I seen that rocket/motor combo.... and lets say a couple people have Saturn V that need repair.... Stick with D12 's or E15's (if you can trust the delays). The F21 should be the ideal motor :)

Back