THE BIG PICTURE: Army missiles of the '50's and '60's

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

vcp

Reaction score
I've been enjoying watching old TV series OtA as I've described in this thread, particularly 'Steve Canyon' and 'Men in Space'. It got me to thinking about other old TV that I remembered. One that came to mind was 'The Big Picture'. Turns out that there are a bunch of them on YouTube, and many of them are Army missile related. 'The Big Picture' was a US Army production that ran from 1951 through the early '70's For its time, the production values were really high, and the quality of the episodes on YouTube is excellent. Missiles that are featured include the Lance, Corporal, Sergeant, Honest John, Little John, Lacrosse, Nike-Ajax/Hercules/Zeus, Hawk, Stinger, Redeye, Redstone, and others that I'm sure I missed.

The Big Picture 1951-1972 (US Army TV Series)

War Games During the Cold War: "Exercise Flash Burn" 1954 US Army; The Big Picture TV-266

Nike Ajax, First Surface-to-Air Missile & NATO Maneuvers 1955 US Army; The Big Picture TV-330

Redstone Arsenal Army Ballistic Missile Agency ~ 1957 US Army The Big Picture TV-357

Southern European Task Force (SETAF) ~ 1957 US Army; The Big Picture TV-378

Missile Man 1957 US Army; Fort Sill, Fort Bliss, Huntsville; The Big Picture TV-384

Explorer 1, First US Satellite: "Army Satellites" 1958 US Army "The Big Picture" TV-397

White Sands Missile Range: "Missiles on Target" 1958 US Army; The Big Picture TV-404

White Sands Missile Range: "Tularosa Frontier" 1960 US Army The Big Picture TV 470

Audie Murphy Tours US Missiles: "Broken Bridge" 1962 US Army; The Big Picture TV-508

Nike Zeus & Pershing Missiles: Army Digest No. 9 1962 US Army The Big Picture TV-526

US Army Europe: "The USAREUR Story (Part 1)" 1962 US Army; The Big Picture TV-541

US Army Europe: "The USAREUR Story (Part 2)" 1962 US Army; The Big Picture TV-542

Solid Fuel Missiles: "Solid Punch" 1962 US Army "The Big Picture" TV-544; Chet Huntley

Nike-X ABM: "Army Air Defense Command" (ARADCOM) 1967 US Army; The Big Picture TV-706

Pershing Missile: Seventh Army Blackjack 1967 US Army; The Big Picture TV-712

US Army Alaska 1972 US Army; Alaskan Army Activities; The Big Picture TV-794

I only picked the ones above that were obviously missile-related. There are almost certainly more.

Wow, didn't get much done this afternoon BUT watch several of these videos. EXCELLENT -THANKS!

Back