Talcum Powder

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dpower

Reaction score
One by one, manufacturers have switched from Talc to Corn Starch. I stocked up on J&J w/Talc, but at the time, there were many other manufacturers of body powders that still used Talc. It seems they've all switched to corn starch now, even "Anti-Monkey-Butt"! So where do you get your talc?

I thought they eliminated talc because it carcinogenic. Could be wrong.
Not exactly - some natural talc can contain asbestos, some studies show a slight risk increase for lung cancer among talc miners (but that could be from dust exposure - exposure to any kind of fine particulate dust has been linked to slight increases in cancer risk) - other studies have shown slight risk increases in select populations for uterine and stomach cancers, however when it was all said and done there’s not been a definitive study done showing asbestos-free talc itself to be a carcinogen. Since body powders containing cornstarch work just fine manufacturers stopped using talc rather than run the risk of lawsuits (can’t say I blame them) plus cornstarch is cheap and plentiful. Talc is used in a fair number of industrial processes - Portland cement, polishing grain, paints, etc. I’ve been using cornstarch based powders in rockets for years - launched 4 today in the park with cornstarched chutes before I hit the running track - with zero incidences of fiery recoveries but I get why folks want talc powder over cornstarch - one less failure point to be concerned with - just not something I personally fret over.

So I am wrong about that. Good to hear.

I also like the attitude about fiery recoveries. What are the odds... Probably win the lottery first.

Back