T-LOC

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

techrat

TRF Supporter
Reaction score
I've just 'discovered" the LOC Precision "T-LOC", which is an interesting kit. Although it uses a 4" diameter tube, it's a 29mm motor mount, making it the only 4" dia rocket I can think of that's not an HPR, but an MPR, meaning I can fly it at both my monthly launch sites (only 1 of those sites supports HPR); and that makes it a good 'test bed' rocket in preparation for me getting my L1 cert by later this year or the start of 2024.

Documentation claims it'll fy on E through baby-H, although I'm a little skeptical on the E (maybe a big E like the E-35, but that's probably it)..., but I'm in the middle of construction, trying to keep it as light as possible but also need it strong enough to take those G80's when I get them.

Anyhow, this thing intrigues me.... anybody know of any other kits that are like this? Big MPR to HPR transitions that are light enough to fly on F-G, but are sized like there should be a 38mm Motor tube in there???

There are certainly 4" kits with 38mm MMTs (several Madcow offerings, and the LOC LOC4 for example) that are light enough to fly on a G, it's not magic. And adapters add very little weight.

4" rockets are fine with just 29mm tubes in them. For example, the Aerotech SUMO and G-Force are 29mm. The classic NCR Phantom 4000, Big Brute, and SA-14 Archer also had 29mm tubes. 29mm tube does allow you to fly up to I motors. You can find plenty of 4" kits that have 38mm and 54mm motor tube options out there :)

Also check the Loc 4" Goblin. With the included 29mm adapter its under 1.5kgm and flies nicely of Gs'
Put a baby H in for L1 cert.

I mentored a student last summer into Jr. L1 cert and she used the T Loc with a 29mm MMT. Launched with an Aerotech H125, the rocket ripped of the pad and tracked straight up ....super nice !

anybody know of any other kits that are like this? Big MPR to HPR transitions that are light enough to fly on F-G, but are sized like there should be a 38mm Motor tube in there???
A friend certed L1 on a plywood-kitted Estes Big Daddy at Airfest last year. Accomdating a small (or even large) H motor isn't hard for a big mid-power rocket built well.

For accuracy reasons I need to revise my previous post. I build a T-LOC for one of my buddies last fall. He likes to paint and fly but doesn't have the room, time, supplies or tools to build. Over the years I've built about 30 rockets for him and sold him some of mine when I hop in and out of the hobby.

Initially I did the weight and CG measurements for him with an F67-6 in the tail with the intention that he would use the F76-6 for the first flight. I caught up with him last night to clarify a couple of things about the rocket that I had forgotten. When we I built the rocket I took steps to make it as light as possible within reason. Final weight of the rocket as delivered unpainted was 22.2oz. This was with the stock chute and fire blanket inside.

The rocket was initially flown unpainted using an E30-4 off a 6ft 1/4" rod. He said the liftoff and flight were great but the 4 second delay was a bit long. The chute did deploy and recovered safely with no damage but he said he won't fly that motor again. SO technically I guess you can fly it on an E motor if you take a lot of weight out of it.

The rocket is now painted and weights 23.8oz. He said the rocket now has 7 flights on it total. 1 flight on an E30, 3 on F44's, 2-F52's and 1 flight on a G80. He said his favorite flights have been on the F52's and will be the motor he uses going forward.

Last edited:
I'm not sure I know of an E motor that would lift a 4" T-LOC. I built one for a buddy last fall and built it as light as I could replacing heavy parts everywhere possible. I don't have the final weight handy but I know he flew it on a G80-4 and said it was nice liftoff but the delay was about a second too long. It did pop the chute and landed fine but I don't think he'll be doing that again.

It really needs a baby H but he is still working on his Level 1. I'm helping him with a 5.5" Goblin for his level 1 this year.
What heavy parts did you replace?

Used a lot of the same techniques that I used on my recent FATBOY XL build.

Rocket has TTW fins so that allowed me to remove a lot of weight around the rear of the rocket.

Replaced the forward centering ring with 1/16" thick plywood.
Replaced rear ring with card stock.
Removed material from the fin tabs.
Wrapped Shock Cord around motor mount to eliminate the Eyebolt.
Cut coupler in half and built rocket with nose cone ejection.
Epoxy for structural build, wood glue for coupler and external fillets.
Cut off all the unnecessary junk off the bottom of the nose cone.
Handed it over unpainted.

Last edited:
Replaced the forward centering ring with 1/16" thick plywood.
Replaced rear ring with card stock.
Removed material from the fin tabs.
Wrapped Shock Cord around motor mount to eliminate the Eyebolt.
Cut coupler in half and built rocket with nose cone ejection.
Epoxy for structural build, wood glue for coupler and external fillets.
Cut off all the unnecessary junk off the bottom of the nose cone.
Handed it over unpainted.
That's a really good list. I also sawed off the bottom end of the nosecone, as I figured I could put a plywood bulkhead in there later if I decide to use the payload bay for well, payloads. In the meantime, I've taped it to the body tube and it will eject from bottom bulkhead of the payload bay. Dunno what it weighs in at yet, but I can comfortably fly it on F motors no sweat.

Dunno what it weighs in at yet, but I can comfortably fly it on F motors no sweat.

When I handed the rocket over I recall telling him to try the F67 for the first flight. In fact I recall putting a piece of tape on the side of the rocket showing the CG with an F67-6 in the tail. Now that I'm thinking about it more, a G80 would have put that rocket over 1200ft.

I need to check in with him as there is no way he would have flown on a G80 first flight. I might need to change my previous post.

Last edited:
T-LOC almost complete. I am thinking about painting the outer facing fins black as well, to balance the black rings on the body tube. Regardless, ready to fly in June, just gotta stuff in a chute...

Attachments

• IMG_5443.JPG
    IMG_5443.JPG
    441.6 KB · Views: 1
FYI: The "landing legs" you see in my photo are something I added after I got fed up with my cat knocking over the rocket. 3 dowels I cut in half and epoxied into each corner. It can balance on the retainer, but not very well, and my cat likes rubbing up against it.

Back