Sunward Moondance

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cydermaster

Reaction score
I'm going to be doing a proper review on EMRR, but I thought I'd post a short piece on this rocket, here.

This is a 3FNC rocket, but has style! The fins are (pre)cut into bat wings :cool:. Perfect for Halloween launches, and those of us with Gothic leanings (not me; but as I've got a couple of Damned and Sisters of Mercy records in my collection, I can see the attraction!).

The componants are of top-notch quality; the High
Density Polyethylene nosecone, and the decent plastic 'chute are of particular note! :)

The only critisism I have with the componants is the rubber-band shockcord! I've addapted the recovery a little, Questifying it with a length of Kevlar(tm) attached to the motormount, and a piece of Nomex(tm) as a heatshield.

Just got back from flying it a couple of times (both times on B6-4s). It doesn't fly as high as I was expecting, but thats a good thing, as it tends to drift alot due to the 18" 'chute! It needs that 'chute, though; as I don't think the fin tips will stand up to a faster landing, from a smaller chute.

A cool looking kit, well worth picking up if you like the styling.

Here it is on pad, prior to maiden flight.

.......and here she is taking off for her second flight.

Normally my launch photos are of the bird, on the pad with just a tiny bit of flame just emerging from the motor; or just a pillar of smoke. So I am very pleased with this snap! :D

Nice pics.

You're right about those fins, mine didn't survive the first flight - should have cut a spill hole in the parachute to stop the swing.

Originally posted by elbmod
You're right about those fins, mine didn't survive the first flight

My fins didn't survive painting, infact! I managed to hit the tip of one of the fins with the can of primer. Luckely it was a clean break, along the grain, so a little CYA sorted it out. Bunging on a bit of Pollyfilla has hidden the crack.

Following the recent discussions over fin material for Rockethead Rockets' Battle Axe; I think this kit might have benefitted from Plywood fins.

I like the design of this kit, but have to add to my criticism the fin material. The balsa stock supplied in the kit for the bat-winged style fins is far too thin. They should be thicker or of a higher quality material, plain and simple. It is difficult to even sand them without breakage. My 8 year-old daughter built this model for a 4-H project, and was very frustrated with the fins. A lot of assistance from me was required to get them sanded and installed.

I might recommend laminating the fins with 20# bond paper. With the bat-wing design, this is a pain, but helps strengthen them so they don't break on the first flight.

Also, as designed, the fins are not installed evenly aroung the body tube. This unconventional spacing makes installing the fins a bit of a challenge, especially for a less experienced modeler or child.

Overall, this is a cool design, but it needs to be re-packaged with better materials and should be considered a skill level 2 1/2 build.

Thanks, --Lance.

Just got back from launching my Moondance for a 3rd and 4th time. Ment to fly it on a C6-5, but I managed to bring along a pack of B6-4s, by mistake! :rolleyes:

First flight of the session was very cool - nice and low, no wind, so little drift; I managed to get underneath it, as it descended, and grabbed the shock cord, as it passed me! :cool:

It was fast approaching dusk, and the second launch looked really cool with the flames of the exaust being brighter. This flight had a recovery failier. At ejection, the body tube fell to earth, and the nose cone drifted off under the 18" 'chute. I thought the rubber cord had broken, or been burned through, but it turns out it came untied from its mount on the cone. One of the fins snapped, cleanly, along the grain. A quick field repair with some CYA, and Bob's your Uncle. I managed to get the nose & 'chute back, easily, too - I wouldn't like to have lost a quality nosecone like this one!

Back