Successful Level 2 !!!!!

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Onebadhawk

TRF Sponsor
Reaction score
A great big hearty congratulations to Coleman ( RocketHunter on TRF ) of Radical Rocketeers in Great Meadows New Jersey......
On Saturday,, just 2 weeks after his 18th birthday he made a level 2 attempt......
The rocket was on it's maiden flight.......
The flight went so perfectly,,
he put it up again on another "J" for another perfect flight just to make certain we knew the first flight wasn't a fluke.........lol....

Coleman,, well done indeed,,
If that ain't doin it right I don't know what is.............

Teddy

Way to go kiddo! Congratulations
What do you have planed for LDRS? something EPIC I hope :wink:

Thanks guys! :D It was a perfect day and a perfect flight!

The rocket was a 3'' Mac Performance ARCAS, 5.4 lbs w/o motor. The cert. flight was on a CTI 6G J381-SK. I duct-taped on a mobius camera, so I got less altitude than I was hoping for, 3,141 ft - though still plenty high for me! I had an AIM XTRA for dual deploy, GPS and telemetry. It only landed about 500' away - short walks are always nice! :D

My second flight was on a J270 DMS, this time hitting 3,704'. This was a beautiful flight - arrow straight and brilliant white flame all the way up.

The onboard videos turned out awesome, I'm editing the launch footage now and should have the video posted in the next few days.

First is the GPS of the J381-SK, second is the J270-WL. You can see on the J381 how it weathercocked to the right a bit after leaving the rail, and how the J270 was a much straighter flight.

J381_GPS.jpg J270_GPS.jpg

Very cool! Congratulations! I can't wait to see the video.

I'm hoping to get my L2 this year too. The rocket is built, and the motor is purchased, but the launch was canceled.

Hey Coleman,,
You've got to change your signature............

Teddy

It was great to be there to witness such a great cert flight, and the encore too! Very well done! Congratulations again!

Glad the camera held on as the video should be great! :)

Jim Z

Nice job Coleman, welcome to the ranks of even bigger motors.
Wish I could have been there.

A huge congrats Coleman!! Those were two very beautiful flights and recoveries! :w:

Nate

How much longer for you Nate ??
One more year,, or two ??

Teddy

Just about a year and a half. December of 2016 will be 18, so close and so far at the same time, LOL.

Nate

Last edited:
Just about a year and a half. December of 2017 will be 18, so close and so far at the same time, LOL.

Nate

Are you kiddin me ,,
That's right around the corner Nate..
The last year went by like a blink,,,
The next year will go by the same way...
Way too cool Nate...
I can't wait.........

Teddy

Coleman,

Congrats on your level 2, I'm sorry I missed it.

I look forward to seeing the video.

Coleman you keep outdoing yourself with these videos! VERY COOL!
I didn't know you got the EX Eagle on video, sure wish I didn't gum it up! I wanted to fly her at LDRS, a rebuild in time isn't going to happen.

Very nice video! Just curious, what were the airstarts on your Skeeter? The H399 boost was very cool…

Also, do you have any info on the rocket that flew on the I1299? Burnout at ~30 ft was certainly surprising.

Last edited:
Smokin video Coleman...
Absolutely super cool.....
You really have an ear and eye for timing the music.......

Teddy

Very nice video! Just curious, what were the airstarts on your Skeeter? The H399 boost was very cool…

Also, do you have any info on the rocket that flew on the I1299? Burnout at ~30 ft was certainly surprising.

Thanks! The air starts were two G100 skidmarks (CTI 24mm 6G). It would have been even cooler if it had worked properly though - despite the AIM USB being set to ignite the airstarts at burnout +1 sec, due to some mysterious software glitch it fired them contrary to its settings at burnout +5 seconds, which ended up being just before apogee :facepalm: The I1299 rocket was teddy's (onebadhawk).

Thanks! The air starts were two G100 skidmarks (CTI 24mm 6G). It would have been even cooler if it had worked properly though - despite the AIM USB being set to ignite the airstarts at burnout +1 sec, due to some mysterious software glitch it fired them contrary to its settings at burnout +5 seconds, which ended up being just before apogee :facepalm: The I1299 rocket was teddy's (onebadhawk).

It looked like it was starting to arc over. Was the rocket ok?

How do you like the AIM electronics? I'm thinking of eventually getting the XTRA… Looks like the GPS mapping works well based on your video.

Back