Stupid rail button question

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

qquake2k

Captain Low-N-Slow
Reaction score
Is there any particular reason most rail buttons are attached with machine screws instead of sheet metal screws? All of the rail buttons I've bought have come with machine screws. But it seems to me that sheet metal screws with their deeper threads would have more "bite" in the plywood.

screws.jpg

buttons.jpg

That's funny, all the rail buttons I have bought come with wood screws! (Thread being very similar to sheet metal screws) I think I got mine from Giant Leap. For installing directly into a centering ring, I've used the wood screws. in thicker CR's, I've installed a barrel nut and then used the machine screws so I could remove the guides (why, I'm not sure).

I personally prefer machine screws ,as I like to drill and tap my holes for possitive retention.

Paul T

Some folks run them into T-nuts, some into threaded inserts, some into well nuts, some use a blob of epoxy to hold the screw, and some run them into centering rings.

Which is best depends on your preferred attachment method.

-Kevin

All the buttons I've bought didn't come with screws. I picked machine, sheet metal, or wood screws depending on where and how I was mounting them.

All the screws will work, some will work better then others depending how they are used.

Well, I tried using some #8 sheet metal screws, and they worked fine. But they don't seem any better than the machine screws.

Back