Stuck AT foward closure on 29 40-120 case

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rabidsheeep

Reaction score
Guess i didn't get enough oil on the foward closure. Went up on a g64 and will not budge. The liner of the motor was stuck pretty bad and I had to pry it loose with a pair of plyers

Any suggestions?

grassyass

--sheeepy

Try soaking it in vinegar overnight. If that doesn't work, a little WD-40 might help loosen it.

I bought a small rubber strap wrench for just this problem I experienced. It works great and does not mar the surface of the closure. I also helps to tighten both the forward and aft closure when assembling the RMS.

I use plain old petroleum jelly on the closures and rarely have one stick.

got it off after a night of soaking with some of that adhesive foam that you use for the bottom of chairs, and a foot long wrench. im amazed at the amount of gunk left on it. i only used the casing once before and soaked it after that... definatly have to oil them more and be more carefull with cleaning

btw, is there a "ratio" of vinegar to water to soak these things in? i just put about half and half

2:1

I have had the casing closures get stuck before... PIA to get unstuck. Then, you have to deal with the liner and blah blah blah. One time we had a casing get stuck in the rocket- then when we took the snap rings off to clean it (about 3 days later) the motor had gotten so hot it had cause the petroleum jelly to turn into like a glue... ick!

I bought a small rubber strap wrench for just this problem I experienced. It works great and does not mar the surface of the closure. I also helps to tighten both the forward and aft closure when assembling the RMS.

I use plain old petroleum jelly on the closures and rarely have one stick.
Yes! This works! Thanks, swimmer!

Attachments

• carftsman strap wrench.jpg
    carftsman strap wrench.jpg
    152.8 KB · Views: 0

Latest posts

Back