Streamer design?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sriegel

TRF Supporter
Reaction score
I'm looking for feedback on the design for the attachment end of larger streamers and would appreciate input from the hive mind.

I'm playing with the idea of sewing some long nylon streamers that would be used in lieu of a drogue in a DD setup. This is my latest itteration of a possible design for a 4" wide streamer. The black is dacron fabric, stiff and normally used to reinforce corners on kites. One change I'm thinking of is to sew the 500 lb Kevlar into the end hem and then fold up the corners. The Kevlar would still come out at the point of the folds.

20220209_190848.jpg 20220209_190859.jpg

Thoughts? Thanks.

Steve

Have you considered using spray adhesive and putting silver mylar on one or both sides. Mylar doesn't work well by itself as it tears pretty easy when in larger sizes, but if attached to nylon, it might make a pretty good reflective streamer that would flash in the sunshine.

What about encapsulating a 3/16"or 1/4" dowel across the base to keep it spread rather than the black dacron. I'm not sure it would be needed or make any difference, just brainstorming. The dowel might be more effective when the streamer sizes get bigger like 10" or larger.

Have you considered using spray adhesive and putting silver mylar on one or both sides. Mylar doesn't work well by itself as it tears pretty easy when in larger sizes, but if attached to nylon, it might make a pretty good reflective streamer that would flash in the sunshine.

What about encapsulating a 3/16"or 1/4" dowel across the base to keep it spread rather than the black dacron. I'm not sure it would be needed or make any difference, just brainstorming. The dowel might be more effective when the streamer sizes get bigger like 10" or larger.

The mylar is an interesting idea. Rather than spray adhesive, I have double-sided carpet tape that would work as well. I had considered the spreader bar as you suggest. Might have to give that a try. Maybe a 1/8" fiberglass rod for durability vs. dowel.

The mylar is an interesting idea. Rather than spray adhesive, I have double-sided carpet tape that would work as well. I had considered the spreader bar as you suggest. Might have to give that a try. Maybe a 1/8" fiberglass rod for durability vs. dowel.
Streamers don't pull very hard, so you may not need much load sharing at all.

The mylar idea reminds me that the shadow aero flash streamers were black on one side, reflective on the other.

Streamers don't pull very hard, so you may not need much load sharing at all.

The mylar idea reminds me that the shadow aero flash streamers were black on one side, reflective on the other.

It's not so much loading as keeping the streamer from folding in on itself that I'm trying to mitigate. If I just stitch a line loop to either side of a square end, it pulls inward under tension. Even a triangular base can fold in. The dacron seems to mitigate that. A simple dowel rolled into a quared end would also meet the need.

I was thinking orange or similar high vis color, and addig the flash on one side might be an interesting addition.

All sorts of stuff to play with. :)

I made a couple similar to your design. I put the kevlar cord inside the valley of the fold on both sides, where the fabric folds into the point and sewed it (and the fold) together., rather than sewing it in the center as you have done. To make the streamer whip more, I've considered folding the end over about 3 inches, and sewing the corner down on one side only, to give it some asymmetry.

I wonder if there wouldn't be some way to use fusable webbing to attach mylar or other shiney material to the streamer? How much heat can each take? Fusable webbing is an adhesive that looks like very thin fabric or crepe paper and is activated by heat (iron).

You could lay mylar on top of nylon fabric, fold the edges of nylon fabric over the mylar and sew seams to capture the mylar in the nylon.

I have some "emergency sail repair tape" That I take with me to Alaska..I use it for 'emergency tent repairs' The stuff is true rip stop nylon with a very sticky side. The roll I have is only 2" wide. I wonder how well mylar will stick to it.

I also have a 3" wide roll of silver mylar tape..

https://www.sailrite.com/Ripstop-Re...Q1dLoJ-eLBYBvduwnDuymMDsMebu1CvBoCo8AQAvD_BwE
Tony
I make similar tape for my chutes. The double-sided carpet tape I use for adhesive sticks to the nylon and Mylar insanely well.

Back