Staging rocket motors

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rxckitralph

Reaction score
I have a few questions pertaining to staging. After some research, do the motors HAVE to be black powder in order to fire the second motor? Other propellant uses a core, black powder does not and thats where im lost.

The Apogee newsletter describing composite staging electronics is very dated... mercury switches and roller switches are no longer allowed for direct firing of motors (and you probably can't buy mercury switches anymore anyway...). Modern altimeters use an electronic barometer pressure sensor and/or accelerometer sensor to determine altitude and velocity/acceleration, and can generally fire a motor at some time from launch and/or some time after the burnout of the first stage.

Thanks Cris for pointing that out. I didn't look over the links close enough.

@rxckitralph There are a lot of really cool altimeter options available now a days, just do some research to see what they have to offer. Some of the big ones off the top of my head are Eggtimer, Featherweight, and Altus Metrum.

Back