SPUTNIK - Clustered & Multistage (Test 1 Failure)

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Montaro

Reaction score
At Mid January i started to build the Sputnik, I'm using the Leo's model HERE 1:48 Scale and converted to use 2 Stage and clustered.
Is designed to use 1 D12-7 on the stage 2 and 4 A10-0T on each boosters. the A10 should be without delay to release the bosters as soon the motor turn off. each booster will have 2 engagement devices 1 in the nosecone another in the bottom of the booster, the nose cone engagement device will release when the ejection charge push the nosecone then the shock cord will pull the botton engagement device and the booster fall using a a stream, the stage 2 continue flying with the D-12 Motor and will use a parachute.

all to easy :D

As soon i start i realized that was many factors that i wasn't considered so i made some modification, but i'm still afraid that the ejection charge will be not too strong to release the bottom engagement device cause the stage 1 will continue thrusting so will be not time to release it. but we'll see

this is the initial squema

schema.jpg

Last edited:
I used a 1mm transparent but not clear acrylic, i already have it that the reason i didn't use a clear.
1.JPG

Then i cut the space for the fins before glue the body tube

2.JPG

I build the engine mount (24mm) with the fins using epoxy glue.
3.JPG

I glued the body tube and the engine mount
4.JPG
5.JPG

Embedded ejection baffle
6.JPG

Parachute bay
7.JPG

Embedded 89 db buzzer with ejection switch and 12V battery on the electronic bay
8.JPG
9.JPG

The stage 2 completed
11.JPG

13 mm Engine Mount
12.JPG

Engine Mount on the booster
14.JPG

The square hole is for the botton engagement device.
15.JPG

This is not a ejection baffle is just to prevent the stream down too close to the engine, the booster will use wadding.
16.JPG

Bottom engagement plate
17.JPG

The bottom engagement installed
19.JPG

Nosecone engagement installed
20.JPG

Shock cord attached to the bottom engagement device
21.JPG

booster engaged
22.JPG
23.JPG

I should reinforce the booster fins, i let a tab to glue wiht the booster body
18.JPG

I don't have any more 13mm engine hook, so as soon i get it i will continue

Jeez, it's like you're running to whole Soviet space program! I like it! :)
If you can, you should try to get someone who has a DSLR camera and wide-angle lens to set it up video taping the launch, then extract the frames of the boosters separating.
Definitely looking forward to seeing video/photo of this one.

WOW--just--WOW. FANTASTIC build. I like your booster arrangement. I use the same sort of pop top and peel away arrangement on some of my stuff. The details are different but the principle is sound and works great. Looks like you've covered all the bases. One thing you might look at-- on your rear booster hook-- I had to shorten mine a tick to avoid binding and possible damage to the booster or sustainer- since the booster actually pivots around that attachment point. Just a thought--might be a gotcha though.

+1 on the wiper glad insert. I just made myself a whole bunch of free engine hooks! :) I knew those old wiper blades would be good for something!

Any more on this build?
Looks very interesting!
Not at this moment, i'll working in bahrein for the next 2 weeks. as soon i back i'll continue, i received the order so i'm ready to continue.

You can use the metal insert from a old windshield wiper blade. Just bend the thin metal to what you need.

Love this project! Looks great! :cool:
That is an excellent idea ! thanks for sharing !!

Cool project. What are you doing for ignition?

At this moment i'll use a ESTES E controller, but i want to create controller with a 12V battery intalled in the launchpad because i'm thinking the 6V and the low current will cause a misfiring.

One year ago i finish this rocket and tested with the alamo rocketry guys, was a unsuccessful launch, due a wrong calculation of CP and CG. i found the video and now i will start to rebuild, the boosters are ok, the only damaged part is the nose. so maybe the next month will be ready to launch it again !!![video=youtube;1QK_yfnjg2o]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1QK_yfnjg2o[/video]

7617618032_1a2277a67c_o.jpg

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back