Spring Deployment Bay Working...Sort of

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mccordmw

TRF Supporter
Reaction score
Hi Everybody,

I've been messing around with some builds for a mechanical deployment bay. I've finally got a design that works manually. I can use minimal force to pull a release pin that pops a spring-loaded platform to push out a chute. The spring pushes with about 2 lbs now.

I need to get my hands on a force meter to determine the torque needed to pull the pin, but it feels within the limits of a small, high-torque servo. Once I have the force figured out, I might be able to increase the spring strength.

As for the body, I'll need to cut a side-hatch with hinges and retention magnets to keep it shut until ejection. I've got some small, neodymium disc magnets that will do perfectly for this. Still debating a hinge or a cord to let the hatch fall free and dangle.

Finally, I'm at my weakest personal skill set. I need to figure out a controller (Arduino, maybe?) to turn on the servo using apogee as the triggering event. The servo can run on a 9V battery which should be able to power the controller as well. I'll need to beef up my knowledge here or get help from others.

I think this would work well with the Jolly Logic release to allow a single, spring ejected chute as a drogue that opens at lower altitudes for a safe landing.

Still too scared to risk putting this in one of my precious MPR rockets and risk its ballistic demise. :p Plus, this is scaled at 4 inches diameter and 9 inches long right now. Prototypes are fun!

I'd love any feedback; especially on the electronics side.

Materials are:
- plywood for the bulkheads and panels
- threaded rods for the frame
- nylon rods for the 4 platform guides (threaded on the ends with retaining nuts
- ptfe cylinders to hold the spring
- ptfe pull-pin (low friction of ptfe's means easy pull out)
- nylon pulley wheel (pulley vs direct pull = easier)
- metal spring
- kevlar string
- (tbd) high-torque servo
- (tbd) flight controller for altimeter + servo control
- steel nuts, bolts to hold it all together and attach chute shock cord
- 4 x neodymium magnets with 0.25 lb hold force each

spring_deploy.jpg

Simply push the panel down until the ptfe holes lign up, push the ptfe pin in to hold it together, attach chute. The ptfe tubes and guide rods help keep the push straight so there's no jamming or other oddities. Big downside is the added weight, but it's about 1 lb heavier than a controller + BP ejection standard design. Should be ok.

Thanks!
Mark
NAR#: 100890

Side deployment concerns me. I wonder how problematic chute entanglement would be. I might have to re-tool to push straight up and pop the nose cone, but that would need more force. Hmm.

I think the eggtimer products have outputs that can be configured to run a servo instead of a charge, might look into that.

To measure force, just tie a ziploc bag to a string. Drop pennies gently into the bag until it triggers. Weigh the bag.

I think the eggtimer products have outputs that can be configured to run a servo instead of a charge, might look into that.

Yes, the Eggtimer will definitely rotate a servo (I've used it for main deployment before), just have to change the output terminals a bit.

This sounds like a very cool project-I look forward to seeing the build!

Back