Spray paint help

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mao_Zedung

Reaction score
Hello!

I’m painting the apogee Zephyr right now, and I’ve come across a problem of patchy spray paint. The undercoat of primer was even, black primer. The paint in the picture below has dried for several hours (Krylon Matte Spray) and I'm wondering what the issue is. Any help is appreciated

Attachments

• 1B6AFBAC-EF90-4C79-B3A1-A1F0B719305C.jpeg
    1B6AFBAC-EF90-4C79-B3A1-A1F0B719305C.jpeg
    3.9 MB · Views: 1
Assuming that color is white...

The fix would be either to keep spraying multiple coats of white (be careful not to apply too heavy at once since it may create drips), or use a coat of gray and then that final coat of white.

Hi!

Picture is blurry, but...

You shouldn't use a black base or primer coat for a light color overcoat. You should use white or gray primer for a light finishing color.

Basic rule for paint over paint is light to dark, not the other way.
Yeah I didn’t have any white primer. You can still see in the picture a series of light/dark bands that *looks* like it’s being caused by a reflection (it’s not). Any idea what those could be and how to fix them?

Yeah I didn’t have any white primer. You can still see in the picture a series of light/dark bands that *looks* like it’s being caused by a reflection (it’s not). Any idea what those could be and how to fix them?
Can you take a better picture?

I would assume just regular splotches due to uneven paint distribution over a dark surface.

Also if spraying a large rocket with a small can of paint, the nozzle may be spraying a small pattern leading to poor coverage.

Have you tried another coat or two of paint over it?

Can you take a better picture?

I would assume just regular splotches due to uneven paint distribution over a dark surface.

Also if spraying a large rocket with a small can of paint, the nozzle may be spraying a small pattern leading to poor coverage.

Have you tried another coat or two of paint over it?
The picture is messed up because It’s the way this forum formats out the pictures that messes them up :/

I’ve gone over with 3 coats total through the last 24 hours and it isn’t working. Not sure what to do.

First, what they said. A light primmer. I believe you need to get all your coats on in an hour or wait 24 hours to re-coat. The last coat, of several within that hour should be wet enough to shine. Total uniform coverage. I would wait a day and re-coat.

Back