SPOT GPS tracker

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Adrian A

TRF Sponsor
TRF Supporter
Reaction score
There's a new system I just learned about (I'm surprised nobody else has brought this up yet, as far as I can tell using the search function) called SPOT. It's a GPS tracker, but what's unique about it for us is that it uses satellites to send the location information out, rather than cell service. So no matter where you land your rocket, pretty much on any continent or ocean near the shore, it will transmit its location to you. The hardware is easily small enough for big projects, and costs about $150. The subscription to get that satellite data is $99/year.

That includes tracking messages every 10 minutes for 24 hours at a time. Once those tracking messages go up from the tracker to the satellites and back down to SPOT ground stations, SPOT will either message, email or web-publish your tracking information according to your settings.

It can also send out SOS signal via satellite for rescue if you want to also use it for your human-based backcountry adventures.

https://www.findmespot.com/en/

The SPOT is well-known in the outdoor/survival business. I have a friend who is a guide in the mountains of Wyoming, and it has been part of his essential gear for years. I think he did beta testing as well.

As for model rocketry, the size and subscription cost are probably the biggest turn-offs.

Hello Adrian and others. I have been using the spot system for several years now for my Outback Trips. It works amazingly well. I have been to some of the most remote portions of the planet whilst in the Deserts Of Australia and it has always worked. I think for rocketry it would work really good as long as you have mobile phone/data reception to recieve either the SMS or email. My only concern would be in some way deactivate the "emergency button" so that launch or recovery / impact forces could not activate the emergency call. That might get really expensive if a search team shows up at your next launch lol.

Aww thought this thread was going to be be about a Featherweight GPS

Kenny

I looked into them. they are kind of big, and the monthly service is a turn off. They also get terrible reviews on amazon and rei with people complaining the newer ones aren't very robust and the customer service is terrible.

$99 per year is about the same as the service for the Tagg dog collar, but this thing is pretty big and heavy. Maybe if you took it apart you could whittle some of that bulk down, but it's still probably going to be too big for anything short of a 2.6" body tube. It also looks like you have to press the OK button to get it to send a message, so you'd have to figure out a way to do that too.

The SPOT is well-known in the outdoor/survival business. I have a friend who is a guide in the mountains of Wyoming, and it has been part of his essential gear for years. I think he did beta testing as well.

As for model rocketry, the size and subscription cost are probably the biggest turn-offs.

$99 per year is about the same as the service for the Tagg dog collar, but this thing is pretty big and heavy. Maybe if you took it apart you could whittle some of that bulk down, but it's still probably going to be too big for anything short of a 2.6" body tube. It also looks like you have to press the OK button to get it to send a message, so you'd have to figure out a way to do that too.

You would think there should be a market for a small GPS tracker to sew in your kids backpack. Also perfect size for rockets!

it can be configured to send periodic position updates and you can ping from a web browser it to get a position.

Most cell phones have a GPS tracking app available, I put one on my kids' phones when they first got them. Now that they're teenagers they're smarter, so they'd probably know what I'm up to and remove the app...

You would think there should be a market for a small GPS tracker to sew in your kids backpack. Also perfect size for rockets!

What makes this one different than all the GPS cell phone-based trackers is that it transmits your coordinates to orbiting satellites, rather than to cell phone towers. Thus it is not dependent on cell phone coverage, or the grey/black legal area of transmitting on cell phone frequencies while airborne. It looks like the tracker might be repackage-able into something considerably smaller, since a lot of the volume is for 3 AA batteries. But it's already small enough to be incorporated into the larger projects that would benefit from them the most.

I thought that usually, satellite phones and such typically have more directional antennas. Is that the case with this? Does the device have to face up to work?

I have ours in the Jeep on the dash and sometimes in the console between the front two seats. It seems to work ok there. However it does need a reasonably good view to the sky to work. Interestingly enough it did not work inside our tent. As stated above it does not need cell coverage to work,, I have been over a 1000 kilometers away from the nearest "farm station" that still did not have phone coverage and the SPOT worked flawlessly,,, BUT if you want to get that information and find your rocket you will need a phone/tablet/laptop with either mobile or wireless data coverage to be able to recieve the data and in turn use it to find your rocket.

Their instructions seem to indicate that it works best when facing upwards, so you're probably right.

I thought that usually, satellite phones and such typically have more directional antennas. Is that the case with this? Does the device have to face up to work?

that probably has to do with the patch sat antenna they are using.

but v2 makes an excellent point: you will need cell service if you want to get data from the spot servers.

Well, if you're going to put a dog collar in your rocket you might as well have a dog to go along with it... maybe a teacup chichuaua. :)

I'm in the Civil Air Patrol and we carry SPOT GPS devices in all of our planes. They are bomb proof and dead simple. If you can deal with the size/weight and don't mind having to buy the subscription the only real concern I'd have is whether or not you'd be able to get a clear signal with one from inside a rocket...they definitely need a clear view of the sky for satellite lock, and orientation of the units also makes a difference, so if your rocket landed with the unit antenna facing into the ground you might not be able to pick it up even if shielding from the airframe wall proved not to be an issue.

Back