Space day (teachin' to the kiddies!)

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dr wogz

Fly caster
Reaction score
So, I had two days off last week, to do my annual "Let's talk rocket sceince" to the local school board.

below is the article, and my back (in the photo)

The first day was as good as it can be!! little to no wind, sunny, but not the 'Hi sun in the Mojave desert" like sun, the kids were eager & all ears.. Probably got about as dozen launches..

2nd day was darker, but the rains held untill the last group. A fwe paper rockets bough tit, and my 'motor cut-away' fromJim (Flis) got wet, so the ink ran.. But got about 6 or 7 launches in..

(Its amazing how kids think the 1st man in space is neil Armstrong.. and when asked how long rockets have bene around for, they go back to the 80's!! or maybe the 60's!)

----------

LBPSB Space Day
Hands on at St. Lazare airfield

Paul Shepherdson’s hobby rocket table was a crowd-stopper “I think all kids like seeing things that are exciting and fast,” says the amateur rocketeer.
(Gazette, Derek Kreimes

by Derek Kreimes

ST. LAZARE — Some 800 inquisitive students from seven Lester B. Pearson School Board schools roamed the St. Lazare airfield last Wednesday, firing questions at representatives from some of the most reputable aeronautics and engineering firms around including the Cosmodome, NASA, and MDA who are at the forefront of space robotics and exploration.

The 47 kiosks set up around the perimeter included the Canadian Space Agency, Bombardier Aerospace, Montreal police, Laval’s Cosmodome, NASA, MDA and a wide range of industries and agencies. Created in 1997 as a collaboration between Lockheed Martin and former astronaut/U.S. senator John Glenn as a way to encourage the study of science, technology and engineering. The LBPSB’s connection came about through the efforts of the late John Scholefield, who hosted the first such event at his airfield, and aerospace educator Brian Ewenson. Globally, Space Day is now celebrated by over 1.6 million children in 43 countries.

Ewenson, who came from San Antonio to speak to the children about daily life in space, was previously in charge of space day for Lockheed. While visiting his family in Lasalle, they suggested he contact the school board to bring the event over the border. “We approached LBPSB...Nancy Battet basically grabbed onto it and ran with it for the last eight years.”

The St. Lazare event continues to grow. “St. Lazare is actually the largest event in Canada,” Ewenson added, “about 2000 kids over two days.”
Battet, who specializes in bringing the real world into the classroom, has added to the annual event. “Of course space is a part of it but we decided at our board to expand it into math, engineering, science, and technology.”
Battet tries to improve the event every year. “This year we had a partner from Digital Locksmith...it’s about teaching digital technology and crime to the kids because it’s their world, they’re digital citizens,” she adds. Her goal is not to breed scientists, but to build an appreciation among future citizens.

There was plenty of appreciation around Paul Shepherdson’s hobby rocket table. Shepherdson presents to the kids every year and always has great response from the students. “I think all kids like seeing things that are exciting and fast.” But he assures the learning is still there. “Some of the concepts are a little older for them, such as getting into some of the physics, but at least they can start seeing what’s involved and how it can be applied.”

Tangibility was definitely the theme as children were allowed to sit in planes, made their own slime, touched real dinosaur fossils and witnessed a demonstration of a remote controlled aircraft designed by Concordia students Nicholas Major and Hadi Alaee. “The kids are really smart,” said Alaee “We asked them questions about lift, drag, thrust and they all knew the answers,” added Major.

One lucky student had a ride with Bill Wyman in his 1947 Cessna 120, featuring a low altitude fly-by to wave at jealous friends.
In the end, the two-day event was a great success giving hands-on education to over 2000 kids from about 14 schools. As one presenter from Mad Science put it, “If the kids leave here and remember just one percent, it’s mission accomplished.”

Space-Day-1.jpg

Congratulations. Sounds like a great event.

The hobby need many more of events like this to get noticed.

Bob

Back