Soothsayer scratch build

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Were you trying to spray primer on wet paint or paint on wet primer? I tried that once and got the same results you were getting. . . . Must . . . Wait . . . For . . . Paint . . . To . . . Dry . . . ARGHHHHH

It was solar collector paint, which is intended for sticking directly to metal, on top of fully-cured Valspar matte clearcoat.

...when it lake-staked and I had to replace the nosecone, I tried to duplicate the effect, but I was painting it in the sun and the paint heated up rapidly, curing before the cracking occured. That or I didn't put it on heavily enough. (I wasn't sure whether lighter or heavier would be better.)

Were you trying to spray primer on wet paint or paint on wet primer? I tried that once and got the same results you were getting. . . . Must . . . Wait . . . For . . . Paint . . . To . . . Dry . . . ARGHHHHH

I was spraying primer on dry-to-the-touch black paint.

Yup. "Dry to the touch" isn't dry. I always have to wait until the underlying coat is completely dry. Since I'm impatient, I use very thin layers of paint through my airbrush because they dry fast, and I use an electric heater or heat gun to speed up the drying process. Also, I think that primer is a little more reactive than ordinary paint (that's why it sticks to more surfaces), so problems get exacerbated when you don't let it dry.

It was solar collector paint, which is intended for sticking directly to metal, on top of fully-cured Valspar matte clearcoat.

...when it lake-staked and I had to replace the nosecone, I tried to duplicate the effect, but I was painting it in the sun and the paint heated up rapidly, curing before the cracking occured. That or I didn't put it on heavily enough. (I wasn't sure whether lighter or heavier would be better.)

I think I'm giving up on masking. If I have to use two colors, I'll fade them like I did my "Who's Your Daddy".

114_decal.jpg

Yup. "Dry to the touch" isn't dry. I always have to wait until the underlying coat is completely dry. Since I'm impatient, I use very thin layers of paint through my airbrush because they dry fast, and I use an electric heater or heat gun to speed up the drying process. Also, I think that primer is a little more reactive than ordinary paint (that's why it sticks to more surfaces), so problems get exacerbated when you don't let it dry.

I've always heard you should remove masking tape when the paint is still soft. If I'm going to mask again, I'll have to reconsider my technique.

I've heard that too. I think it's fine to remove the tape while the paint is dry, just don't try to put on a second coat of paint or primer. Also, I always removed my tape when the paint was very dry, and I never had a problem. So, yeah; you might have to mask, paint, remove the masking, then wait, and then mask again.

There. Paint's done. No more paint. Not even clear coat.

135_black.jpg

136_black.jpg

137_black.jpg

I've heard that too. I think it's fine to remove the tape while the paint is dry, just don't try to put on a second coat of paint or primer. Also, I always removed my tape when the paint was very dry, and I never had a problem.

I've had it peel both ways. So I'm not sure what to do.

True, but, I mean, had it been my rocket that irritated the heck out of me, I probably wouldn't have returned to painting it until tomorrow. I think that's part of my problem, I just don't build very fast:sigh:

True, but, I mean, had it been my rocket that irritated the heck out of me, I probably wouldn't have returned to painting it until tomorrow. I think that's part of my problem, I just don't build very fast:sigh:

Well, there's too fast and there's too slow. The problem for me is finding a happy medium.

I've certainly had worse paint disasters. And it ended up not looking half bad. So I'll take it.

138_paint.jpg

139_paint.jpg

Wow oh wow! What a great build with even greater photos and how-to info. She doesn't know it yet, but I believe my wife will soon be asking me "You need more tools for what???" I am truly inspired, thank you.

I'm not exactly sure why you needed to prime the fins.

When i paint rockets I prime everything all at once until the surface is where I want it. Then I paint the whole rocket with the base color a few days later. After a suitable period (days/weeks), I spray on the trim color and follow up with the clear coat.

These paint issues you've been having are most likely due to the paint not being fully cured before you start masking and adding trim colors.

Make your rockets earn their paint like I do. LOL!

Wow oh wow! What a great build with even greater photos and how-to info. She doesn't know it yet, but I believe my wife will soon be asking me "You need more tools for what???" I am truly inspired, thank you.

Thanks for the compliments, Stan! It's my philosophy that all power tools were made for building rockets. It just so happens they have other uses as well. LOL

I'm not exactly sure why you needed to prime the fins.

When i paint rockets I prime everything all at once until the surface is where I want it. Then I paint the whole rocket with the base color a few days later. After a suitable period (days/weeks), I spray on the trim color and follow up with the clear coat.

These paint issues you've been having are most likely due to the paint not being fully cured before you start masking and adding trim colors.

Make your rockets earn their paint like I do. LOL!

I had primed the whole thing, then painted the body tube black. I re-primed the fins to cover the black paint that got on them. I wanted a white undercoat for the blue metallic. Sure didn't work out like I had imagined.

Had to go back a page or so and look at the photos with your explanation in mind.

First you probably should have painted the whole rocket metallic blue and let it cure for at least a day or two before going any further. Then mask off the fins and mist a light coat of metallic blue along the tape edge to prevent leakage. Once that sealing coat on the tape edge is dry, spray your black on top of the blue. Rusto black metallic could have been a kewl choice to keep with the metallic theme.

Looks like you were making this more difficult than it needed to be and that gave Murphy the opportunity to make an appearance.

Last edited:
Had to go back a page or so and look at the photos with your explanation in mind.

First you probably should have painted the whole rocket metallic blue and let it cure for at least a day or two before going any further. Then mask off the fins and mist a light coat of metallic blue along the tape edge to prevent leakage. Once that sealing coat on the tape edge is dry, spray your black on top of the blue. Rusto black metallic could have been a kewl choice to keep with the metallic theme.

Looks like you were making this more difficult than it needed to be and that gave Murphy the opportunity to make an appearance.

Like I said, I've always heard you should remove the masking tape while the paint is still soft. Hence my hurry.

And I didn't want to use the metallic black because the background in the crystal ball decal is black.

I decided to use paracord for the shock cord. It has a 550lb breaking strength, and the small quick links I use are rated at 220. I know there's a chance of a zipper, but I think it's slight. I said a few choice words while I was threading the loop. Good thing I don't have kids.

140_paracord.jpg

141_paracord.jpg

142_paracord.jpg

And the decals. Glad they're not waterslide, I'm sure I would have screwed them up.

145_decal.jpg

146_decal.jpg

147_decal.jpg

148_decal.jpg

149_decal.jpg

The decals turned out really good, thank goodness. I needed a victory.

150_decals.jpg

153_decals.jpg

154_decal.jpg

There was some frustration with the paint. But in the end, it turned out rather nice. The decals turned out great. The white "Soothsayer" really pops against the metallic blue. We'll see how well it flies on Saturday. Wish me luck!

152_outside.jpg

155_outside.jpg

156_outside.jpg

qquake2k said:
Like I said, I've always heard you should remove the masking tape while the paint is still soft. Hence my hurry.

And I didn't want to use the metallic black because the background in the crystal ball decal is black.

Gotcha.

You stress a lot over paint but your birds always look pretty nice in spite of the contortions you put yourself through!

Gonna put this up in the air at Snow Ranch this Saturday? Motor picked out yet?

EDIT: Had I read further on I'd known more.

1. I like the all black aft end better than if the fins were metallic blue. Looks cleaner.

2. The vinyl just POPS on the blue.

Last edited:
Gotcha.

You stress a lot over paint but your birds always look pretty nice in spite of the contortions you put yourself through!

Gonna put this up in the air at Snow Ranch this Saturday? Motor picked out yet?

Well thank you, Kit, I appreciate that. I just wish I didn't have to fight with the paint so much.

A G76 or G64 will take it to around a grand. If the wind is super calm, I might go with an H165 for about 1450, or a G138 for about 1550.

Back