Smoking 850 mah battery

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Philip Tiberius D.

Old Fashioned 2.5oz Rye/H2O 8 drops Orange Bitters
TRF Supporter
Reaction score
Anyone care to guess why my 850 mah battery is smoking when I connect it to my tracker... it also appears to have fused my 1st switch. I’m using 20 ga. wire and a Missile Works T3 if that helps.

After checking that, check the resistance in the altimeter from plus to minus and again from minus to plus. If available, make both checks with a meter in regular resistance mode and again in diode test mode. Report findings.

If you dead short a lipo, it's done. Set it in a fireproof container for 24 hours and then take it to be recycled making sure they know it's a damaged lipo.

If you dead short a lipo, it's done. Set it in a fireproof container for 24 hours and then take it to be recycled making sure they know it's a damaged lipo.
Anyplace that takes batteries for recycling doesn't have the time to track which ones came in with user warnings that their damaged. A special bin where all of them are damaged sounds like a bad idea.

Me, assuming I have the fireproof container mentioned above, I'd restore that dead short then put the cell in the container. A thoroughly destroyed cell is much less dangerous than a damaged one that still has some charge. Like puncturing an empty rattle can.

I don't know that Li-polymer can be recycled at all.

One of the nearby HobbyTowns will take them. They discharge them completely (they put them in a bucket of electrolyte, iirc) and dispose of them.

I am not sure, but this type of smoking might be worse for you than the tobacco form of smoking.

The fire risk is why I charge my batteries is a fireproof box.

Back