Smoke plug stuck

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Steven88

TRF Supporter
Reaction score
Yesterday after flying my K560 at Airfest, the smoke plug plastic piece doesn’t want to come loose out of the 75mm AT adapter system top floating closure. I took the engine apart while still warm but not as soon as sometimes. Should have I used more grease in the top floating closure and how do I get this out?

Yesterday after flying my K560 at Airfest, the smoke plug plastic piece doesn’t want to come loose out of the 75mm AT adapter system top floating closure. I took the engine apart while still warm but not as soon as sometimes. Should have I used more grease in the top floating closure and how do I get this out?
I haven’t used the floating closure, but there are no plastic plugs that I know of in the regular forward closure. Phenolic or cardboard insulators fit around the smoke grain.
Can you show us a picture?

Are you talking about the phenolic tube the smoke grain is in?
Try this:

20221025_182455.jpg

20221025_182428.jpg

I used a tight fitting 1/2" drive socket, with a little tape to fill the gap, then put grease in the forward closure and pounded the socket in with a hammer. Hydraulic force is applied to the bottom (top) of the smoke grain linner and it is forced up/out. I supported the closure on some aluminum blocks for stability.

Attachments

• 20221025_182442.jpg
    20221025_182442.jpg
    912 KB · Views: 0
Try this:

View attachment 601752

View attachment 601751

I used a tight fitting 1/2" drive socket, with a little tape to fill the gap, then put grease in the forward closure and pounded the socket in with a hammer. Hydraulic force is applied to the bottom (top) of the smoke grain linner and it is forced up/out. I supported the closure on some aluminum blocks for stability.
Years ago I would use this method to remove pilot bushings while doing a clutch replacement.

I haven’t used the floating closure, but there are no plastic plugs that I know of in the regular forward closure. Phenolic or cardboard insulators fit around the smoke grain.
Can you show us a picture?

I’m sure your right that it’s phenolic

Attachments

• IMG_7474.jpeg
    IMG_7474.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_7473.jpeg
    IMG_7473.jpeg
    1.6 MB · Views: 0
Try this:

View attachment 601752

View attachment 601751

So you’re saying that you are able to pull it out with hydraulic pressure? Not sure what this means for sure in this case if you have a second to explain… thanks

Pushes it out with hydraulic pressure.

Hammering the (tight-fitting) socket downward into the grease plug forces the grease downward. Since it doesn't compress, it fills the cracks under/around the phenolic sleeve, and when those areas are filled and there's nowhere else for the grease to go, the grease pushes the sleeve upwards.

Last edited:
Make sure to eliminate as many air-pockets as possible. Air pockets will act to dampen the force. For the phenolic liner, it may not be critical, but using this technique on other mechanical things (like the clutch pilot bearing as mentioned earlier) it is important to transmit the sharp initial impact from the hammer to the object to get it moving. So just fill the cavity as carefully as you can with grease and don't ignore the 1/2" square female end of the socket extension (if using that as the plunger) or fill the socket that you're using as the plunger. The key is eliminate as much air as you can. Make sure to put the closure on something that won't mar it up, such as a block of wood.

EDIT: Clarified filling the "plunger" end of the socket extension

Last edited:
I will be watching the weather. I would be solo if I do, I hope to fly the 1/4 scale Viking 7 in October on a AT L1500T.

The next time I prep a 75mm load I plan to lightly sand the outside of the smoke grain liner for an easier fit.

Back