Small moonburners and igniters

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Brian H.

Reaction score
I did a search and found lots of answers for larger moonburner motors, but nothing for the small ones. I have recently had a Cesaroni H54 29mm moonburner Cato because the igniter wadded up and clogged the nozzle. Is there a trick to preventing this from happening?

Others use bamboo skewers, zip ties, and such for larger motors, but I don't see that working very well on a very small nozzle in a 29mm.

I did a search and found lots of answers for larger moonburner motors, but nothing for the small ones. I have recently had a Cesaroni H54 29mm moonburner Cato because the igniter wadded up and clogged the nozzle. Is there a trick to preventing this from happening?

Others use bamboo skewers, zip ties, and such for larger motors, but I don't see that working very well on a very small nozzle in a 29mm.
I don't think the ignitor was the issue..

Upon inspection after the Cato, the igniter was sort of in a pile in the nozzle. What else do you think it could have been?

Bad reload. I have warrantied a couple of that motor already

Would I go through the vendor I bought it from or contact cesaroni directly? I have only dealt with Estes catos in the past.

I should fill out a mess report also. I just figured it was the way I installed the igniter.

Would I go through the vendor I bought it from or contact cesaroni directly? I have only dealt with Estes catos in the past.

I should fill out a mess report also. I just figured it was the way I installed the igniter.
Go to the vendor. They should take care of the warranty on the reload and hardware if it was damaged. If your vendor won't, then send me a pm and I'll get it taken care of.

Go to the vendor. They should take care of the warranty on the reload and hardware if it was damaged. If your vendor won't, then send me a pm and I'll get it taken care of.

Thank you. I got it from Apogee. I don't think Tim will have any problems. They have wonderful customer service and are within driving distance.

It did destoy the case. Blew the forward closure and fuel grain up through a plywood bulkhead into my ebay and sent the upper half of the rocket about 10' up. Fortunately my electronics survived.

So I contacted Apogee and it looks like it could be a considerable amount of time before I could get anything replaced. Need to fill out a form and mail or email to them along with pictures, they contact Cesaroni, Cesaroni sends a replacement to them on next shipment if warranty approved (which could be awhile as they just received a shipment), then I get a replacement sometime later.

Is this a normal procedure?

So I contacted Apogee and it looks like it could be a considerable amount of time before I could get anything replaced. Need to fill out a form and mail or email to them along with pictures, they contact Cesaroni, Cesaroni sends a replacement to them on next shipment if warranty approved (which could be awhile as they just received a shipment), then I get a replacement sometime later.

Is this a normal procedure?
It is up to the vendor to either replace from stock or wait for the replacement from the manufacturer. I usually replace from stock if I have enough...but I haven't received the returns from the manufacturer in several years(despite getting orders) so I've considered using the other method as well.

Thanks for the info. I didn't consider issues with the manufacturer actually replacing the defective item. That puts a huge strain on vendors that do replace fom stock.

Back