Simple radio beeper??

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

techrat

TRF Supporter
Reaction score
Ironically, watching one of @UPscaler 's videos, he shows a simple beeper used to locate a rocket. He's got what looks like a handheld 433Mhz foldable Moxon antenna-based receiver, and walks around the desert to locate the beeping based on signal strength. Where do you get these beepers? I'm a licensed Ham, so all I need is the beeper. I already have a handheld radio capable of receiving the frequency, and I can build a tape-measure Yagi for 433Mhz with my eyes closed. I've seen some posted circuits that use dual 555's and a 433Mhz module, but me building that will be too big to fit in my average rocket.

I'm interested in experimenting with radio finding my rocket, I'm still far off from needing to locate the rocket miles from me. It's essentially radio "fox hunting", but the rocket is the fox.
I can buy a micro-fox, but I think that's overkill for this application. Any clues?

For a HAM there are a few options, I have the 70cm transmitter from big red bee:

https://shop.bigredbee.com/collections/vhf-uhf-transmitters/products/70cm-16mw-transmitter
For direction finding, some folks have better luck using an antenna with a deep null, rather than gain in a certain direction (like a yagi). The difference is that a short yagi has a relatively broad lobe which can make pin pointing a heading difficult. An antenna designed to have a deep null is often better for getting a bearing. But either / both can be used with success. Fox hunting is fun.

If you have a radio that only receives FM, you'll want a transmitter that has some kind of modulation on it, or else it can be difficult to detect CW with a FM receiver.

Ironically, watching one of @UPscaler 's videos, he shows a simple beeper used to locate a rocket. He's got what looks like a handheld 433Mhz foldable Moxon antenna-based receiver, and walks around the desert to locate the beeping based on signal strength. Where do you get these beepers? I'm a licensed Ham, so all I need is the beeper. I already have a handheld radio capable of receiving the frequency, and I can build a tape-measure Yagi for 433Mhz with my eyes closed. I've seen some posted circuits that use dual 555's and a 433Mhz module, but me building that will be too big to fit in my average rocket.

I'm interested in experimenting with radio finding my rocket, I'm still far off from needing to locate the rocket miles from me. It's essentially radio "fox hunting", but the rocket is the fox.
I can buy a micro-fox, but I think that's overkill for this application. Any clues?
I use the Transmitters available from Wildman. The receivers aren't exactly cheap, but they are cheaper than losing big hardware and rockets, for sure!

https://wildmanrocketry.com/collections/receiver
Braden

Back