Silver Comet

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DragonRocketry

TRF Sponsor
Reaction score
I was asked if I could do an upscale kit of estes Silver Comet and figured I would see if there is any interest in one of these or if I should just do one and done. If you are interested post here.

4" dia, 42.75" tall, 38mm motor mount. 1/4" baltic birch fins, thru wall construction.

4in silvercomet.jpg

while I like the silver comet, I think to be a little more retro it needs pods on the fins. Sorry could not resist, but I know this is about a possible upscale.

I can remove this post if it is troublesome.

Attachments

• IMG_20220626_195313971.jpg
    IMG_20220626_195313971.jpg
    1,020.7 KB · Views: 0
  • Fin Pods.jpg
    Fin Pods.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 0
I was asked if I could do an upscale kit of estes Silver Comet and figured I would see if there is any interest in one of these or if I should just do one and done. If you are interested post here.

4" dia, 42.75" tall, 38mm motor mount. 1/4" baltic birch fins, thru wall construction.

View attachment 588118

I have designed 3-inch and 4-inch with nose and tail cones already if you want the files.

I have designed 3-inch and 4-inch with nose and tail cones already if you want the files.
Chuck I would be interested in the 4" nose cone. The tail cone I am just going to cut a LOC nose cone the same way I do for a V2 kit.

Chuck I would be interested in the 4" nose cone. The tail cone I am just going to cut a LOC nose cone the same way I do for a V2 kit.
I will send you the file tomorrow. I did my tail cone differently. I 3D printed it to hold the fins in place. It is printed with the slots.

I will send you the file tomorrow. I did my tail cone differently. I 3D printed it to hold the fins in place. It is printed with the slots.
Send me both I will check it out. Slotting the loc nose cone is always fun....LOL

Damn, somehow I'm just now seeing this post. I was the one that requested this kit.
@cwbullet , do you have dimensions for the 4" fins? I still want to make this happen.

Last edited:
Damn, somehow I'm just now seeing this post. I was the one that requested this kit.
Chuck, do you have dimensions for the 4" fins? I still want to make this happen.
I can cut you the fins if you want to scratch build it.

@cwbullet , do you have dimensions for the 4" fins? I still want to make this happen.

You could contact LOC directly and ask them about making you a custom kit. They made one for me before LDRS 37. Here’s my thread. Unfortunately the forum picture-loading tool had a problem near the end of the thread, and I was unable to finish loading final pictures, but I can tell you, it turned out great. Unfortunately, it ended up only flying a few times before being severely damaged.

https://www.rocketryforum.com/threads/loc-comet-custom-project-for-ldrs-37.144615/
Edit: Here is a pictures.

ED1E36F7-D5AB-4BB2-AC04-51805778915F.jpeg

LOC used to be willing to do custom projects like this. Maybe they still do. I worked with someone named Jay.

Last edited:
You could contact LOC directly and ask them about making you a custom kit. They made one for me before LDRS 37. Here’s my thread. Unfortunately the forum picture-loading tool had a problem near the end of the thread, and I was unable to finish loading final pictures, but I can tell you, it turned out great. Unfortunately, it ended up only flying a few times before being severely damaged.

https://www.rocketryforum.com/threads/loc-comet-custom-project-for-ldrs-37.144615/
Edit: Here is a pictures.

View attachment 616488

LOC used to be willing to do custom projects like this. Maybe they still do. I worked with someone named Jay.
Sweet, I like the taper and the way the fins look.

Sweet, I like the taper and the way the fins look.

Thanks. When I was working with LOC on this, we made a few decisions to depart from an exact upscale. We used a more tapered and elongated nosecone and tail cone. We also slotted the tube for only 3 fins, not the 4 in the original Estes kit or the V2 that the Comet is based on. It made it more “Swoopy”. I was sad when it crashed due to a bad deployment. I hadn’t added the paint details I had wanted, and I was looking forward to more flights. People really liked that rocket. I encourage someone to make another, whether through LOC, another vendor, or scratch build. Sci-Fi rockets are the best!

EDIT::I still have the crashed rocket, if anyone wants to come by and get it and try to fix it. It’s not something I want to ship, but if anyone wants to pick it up, I would give it to them.

Last edited:
I heard that to many times and it never worked out that way. Right now I do not have the time to even think about doing them. I got training for the next 6 weeks.
Wow. . . 6 weeks of training. . .I don't think I've ever had a work-related training last that long in one stint. Hopefully its fun stuff or at least something interesting. I'm usually questioning my life choices after 3 days of work-related training. . .

Back