Silk chute?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

darthgriffin

Reaction score
So I plan on using a silk handkerchief my wife tie dyed to the chute in here rocket. Aside from getting a tailor to cut it into an octagon and roll the edges, I think it might need some reinforcement for strength. Has anyone ever used a silk chute? I could use some advice.

Make sure not to get any heat close to it. Probably melt very quickly

Silk won't melt, but it can/will burn and needs to be protected, just like a nylon or plastic chute.

Provided the chute is the right size, there's no reason it won't work -- man-rated chutes used to be silk.

-Kevin

So I plan on using a silk handkerchief my wife tie dyed to the chute in here rocket. Aside from getting a tailor to cut it into an octagon and roll the edges, I think it might need some reinforcement for strength. Has anyone ever used a silk chute? I could use some advice.

Yes:
but Not a flat Octagon.
In several cramped space PMC models I've used Silk Hemi's for a number of years. They do fold/Roll a good bit tighter then even Light weight rip-stop Nylon while being able to take the extra strain of Heavy Plastic model opening.

I use 6 gore panels to limit the number of seams and sew with Kevlar 2strand 13lb thread just to make them tough, with 80lb Kevlar Shroud-lines...sorry I missed an 0 when labeling the photo.
First Photo was the first 18" prototype, the two in the 1/32 F104 flight are 18" and 15", Red Panels were colored in a rite dye soak then dried before assembly.
Packing and ejection bit protection is exactly the same as any other Chute.

Last edited:
Edit: Just spoke with the better 2/3rds..."She who actually machine sews said chute canopies";) Said she prefers Silk over rip-stop as it seems to bind less on the machine during gore seam sewing.
Hope this Helps.

Last edited:
I'm going to leave it flat to preserve the peace sign my wife dyed into it. The rocket it's for will only be C-E powered and not terribly heavy; I'm just worried about ripping out the attach points on deployment. If I have to I figure I could crisscross some fabric strips on the back side to connect opposing corners, or around the edges to support it there, or maybe both. I want to cover as little of it as necessary.

Last edited:
Silk won't melt, but it can/will burn and needs to be protected, just like a nylon or plastic chute.

Provided the chute is the right size, there's no reason it won't work -- man-rated chutes used to be silk.

So I got a free 36" silk chute from Apogee with a big order I placed (love them).. And I must say.. not only does it pack VERY much smaller, but it is also so light and "lose", it pops right out and open. In a smaller BT, I don't have to worry about it being too tight in the tube, or applying baby powder. I have sort of fallen in love with the stuff and plan on spraying a couple with fire retardant and buying more silk chutes.

The military surplus pilot chutes seem to be really nice quality, stitching and reliability. LOVE THEM!

Anyone have any good sources?

Tweeks

Back in the day, a late friend of mine had a bed custom made from two queen sized mattresses laid side to side to accommodate both his 6'-5" frame and frequent female visitors. He also had custom silk sheets made but later went back to linen. He claimed he just couldn't achieve traction on the silk. :facepalm: True story.

Back