Should be "Thumbs Down" icon available

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SharkWhisperer

Reaction score
Reader responses less than amused or supportive to a comment are currently limited to the "wow", "surprised", or "sad" icons.

Those don't always fit. None express overt disagreement without emotion.

Suggest adding a simple "thumbs-down" icon, to complement the existing "thumbs-up" option.

An option with less/no attached emotion might be more of a conversation starter than receiving a "sad" aka disappointed response.

We can disagree without judging.

Stupid suggestion? Opinions?

Completely agree. The childish/immature one who uses the laughing response on anything they disagree with is getting really annoying and boring. A simple disagree icon would be much better.

Last edited:
I find the ambiguity of the laughing icon to be annoying. I've learned that a subset of the forum uses it as "sarcastic disagreement / I'm laughing AT YOU" rather than "I find this content to be funny."
and I'll add that to the "what I learned today" thread..

I thought it funny how some seemed to have switched opinions in certain threads because of this..

In some ways a thumbs-down icon might be a good idea. However, I think it might polarize the forums more than they are already. Let's face it; there's polarization right now, especially in the Watering Hole on vaccinations, the war in Ukraine, perhaps other threads. Some people would take downvotes personally (and sometimes those posting thumbs-down might be doing so out of spite or for some other silly reason). Those people would retaliate against the downvoters by searching out their posts and downvoting them.

Right now the forums are reasonably friendly because we're tied together with a love for rocketry. That bond might be strained by allowing thumbs-down; we'd get a thumbs-down war. Not everyone would participate in such a war, but enough people would probably do so to spoil the forums.

In some ways a thumbs-down icon might be a good idea. However, I think it might polarize the forums more than they are already. Let's face it; there's polarization right now, especially in the Watering Hole on vaccinations, the war in Ukraine, perhaps other threads. Some people would take downvotes personally (and sometimes those posting thumbs-down might be doing so out of spite or for some other silly reason). Those people would retaliate against the downvoters by searching out their posts and downvoting them.

Right now the forums are reasonably friendly because we're tied together with a love for rocketry. That bond might be strained by allowing thumbs-down; we'd get a thumbs-down war. Not everyone would participate in such a war, but enough people would probably do so to spoil the forums.
That, I'm pretty sure, is why thumbs-down is not included in the first place. Social media has been evolving away from explicit negative feedback (for a recent example see recent controversial Youtube change where they don't display the number of thumbs-downs anymore).

On the other hand, we do have :( and :mad: so negative feedback is still available... but I would speculate that a thumbs-down would be used a lot more than those, for better or worse. So while thumbs-down would be a useful and direct way to indicate disagreement (although it also means disapproval, so there is still emotion there), the question is whether it ultimately makes for a better forum.

I'm kind of on the fence but I would probably lean towards leaving it out.

On the other hand, I would enthusiastically make heavy use of :rolleyes:.

Reader responses less than amused or supportive to a comment are currently limited to the "wow", "surprised", or "sad" icons.

Those don't always fit. None express overt disagreement without emotion.

Suggest adding a simple "thumbs-down" icon, to complement the existing "thumbs-up" option.

An option with less/no attached emotion might be more of a conversation starter than receiving a "sad" aka disappointed response.

We can disagree without judging.

Stupid suggestion? Opinions?

You forgot the “😡” icon.

Eh, add the thumbs down or don’t - if topics or individual posts don’t interest me I just don’t pay any attention, otherwise I’ll make my contributions and move on. I frankly don’t have the interest, energy or incentive to do more than that. If I’m going to take the time and thought to disagree with someone I’ll just say so, otherwise why bother with a quick click of a symbol? Nothing to be learned from doing that…

I'm still waiting for the return of the duck smiley. When smileys were changed to emojis, all I get is the bird. 🦆 used to have a looking head, then ducking as something passed over.

I've read several posts in the last few minutes that I want to :rolleyes: at, but I fall into the "no down votes" camp for the same reason described by others above.

I thought adding the existing emojis in this forum was a positive thing to do.

A thumbs down is not a positive thing.

So, as far as I'm concerned, thumbs down on a thumbs down emoji, or anything else of a negative nature.

Oh, another reason NOT to go there. Every emoji response a person gets, is added to their reaction score, right? Some who would obsess over reaction score ratings, would have incentive to post crap to intentionally troll to get a LOT of Thumbs Down, or any other negative emojis that might become an option, to increase their reaction score.

Because it's a lot harder to post information, or info on new projects, and so forth, to get a positive reaction, than it is to just post crap on purpose to get a lot of negative reactions to increase their count.

Leave it alone.

Last edited:
Angry or sad emojis do not contribute to one’s reaction score. Presumably a thumbs down wouldn’t either. That said, I don’t think it would add much to discussions here. The emoji that I would like is an equivalent to the FB “care” emoji for times when someone is going through difficult times and “like” doesn’t seem appropriate.

I give this idea a thumbs down. Boo. It makes me sad and angry. I laugh ironically at this idea and roll my eyes sarcastically.

Winky face, indicating satire. Smiley. Smiley. Smiley. Crazy eyes with tongue sticking out.

Last edited:
I believe this guy :rolleyes: looks like he is pondering something. Maybe it is because my children have mastered the eye roll and make that fellow look tame.

Back