Should a M.E.S.S. report be filed for a composite "chuff"?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

4regt4

TRF Supporter
Reaction score
Had a couple of chuffs at a recent launch. In my own mind, there are two different "levels" of chuffs:

1. Lights briefly, fire goes out, but rocket moves minimally or not at all before taking off more or less normally. I'd not file a report for this, as no harm done.

2. I had a rocket ignite, clear the pad to perhaps 12 feet, flame went out. It came to a near halt before the motor re-lit. Luckily it was still pointed straight up, as it could have easily tipped when the motor stalled. This could have been a dangerous situation and I did file a report.

Comments?

Hans.

Some propellants (looking at you, White Lightning) are notorious for behaving this way if they are old or have been improperly stored. If either of those applied I would not consider this a malfunction.

2. I had a rocket ignite, clear the pad to perhaps 12 feet, flame went out. It came to a near halt before the motor re-lit. Luckily it was still pointed straight up, as it could have easily tipped when the motor stalled. This could have been a dangerous situation and I did file a report.
Probably worth a community report in extreme situations like that, but I've only ever seen something close to that happening with an experimental ANCP motor (bounced up and down almost the entire rail). I've heard of something similar happening before at the MTA decades ago from vague recollection, but it definitely wasn't a commercial APCP motor.
As MikeC said, some propellants are more vulnerable to chuffing than others - especially as they age with non optimal storage. I wouldn't be surprised if sub-optimal positioning of the igniter can also provide an influence in some cases.

TP

Back