• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to Rocketry Forum and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member which comes with a decal or just click here to donate.

Shock Cords w/ Presewn Loops

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Teddy,

New customer here :) I'd like to order a couple of 1/2" Kevlar straps in a custom length.

20' 2-Loop and a 15' 3-Loop. Shipped to 72703. Should I PM you, or...

Great to her the Mrs is doing well after the procedure! Here's to her speedy recovery!

Just cleared my PM box,,,,,,,,,,
Sorry guys,,,,,,,,,,,
That box sure doesn't seem to hold much or is it me ????????????

Teddy

Hey,,,
Thank you very much Jeff,,,,,
Yes,, she's feeling much better now,,, thank you........
I think they kinda make hip replacement surgery like it's no biggie................

It is a big deal,,,,, for sure...............

Teddy

OK guys,,,,,,,
Everything is with the post office,,,,,,,,,,,
Thank you so much for the orders,,,,,,,,,,,

Jeff,,,,,,,,,
Aftershock looks like it's gonna be cookin,,,,,
54 mm minimum D is no joke...........
The cords should be perfect for that rocket............

Hank,,,,,,
Thank you again for another order,,,,,
and quite a nice one at that............
I can't wait for you to see those cords Hank,,,,,,,,
I wanted to show you how I've been flying lately
so I sleeved one of the 9/16" Nylon cords in a foot of 1/2" Tubular Kevlar
and put a stainless steel delta quick link on it for you...............
That's exactly how I run the booster section of my Altitude Seeker............
At the bottom of the sleeve I have a Nomex blanket tyrapped to the sleeve.................

Mark,,,,,,,,
You have a tracking # in your email now...........
The post office has your package.............
I am truly sorry for how long I had your order before it got to the post office,,,,,,,,,,,,
I'm not making excuses but I had the wifey,,, 2 snow storms,,, and then I couldn't ship
your package from home ????? I don't know why,,,, The post office doesn't know why ????
I always try to keep up with Crazy Jim with a 24 hr turn around when I get an order,,,,,,,,,
Most often I am successful.............
I had your order for 2 extra days.............
I'm sorry about that Mark..............

Teddy

Last edited:
Ohhhhhh---
Hank--------
I almost forgot,,,,,,,,,,
You paid me too much for shipping because you made the purchase through ebay................
I issued a partial refund through paypal...................

Teddy

An interesting read,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

First,,
Very nice to meet you Greg,,,,
Second,,
I have so much to tell you I'd ask you to call me but I prefer to type so you can refer back and not rely on memory....

First discussion,,,
Booster section,,, that's the term I use as well,, I think were supposed to call it the sustainer,,, My experience,, First,, a shock cord should not take a shock load,, if it does your e charge is too great,, separation is too violent,, or the cord is too short... Now,, that said,, I personally do not agree with the huge strength requirements some come up with as necessary for these cords..
I wouldn't go too light either.. I now use the same proportions for a 38 mm minimum diameter,, a 54 mm minimum diameter ( my Altitude Seeker ),, a 2.6 HV Arcas,, a 3" -- My Green Hornet,, and ( not built yet)
a 4" X 11 ft --"Onebadhawk"
Every one is modified extensively,
more then enough to call scratch...
Dimensions----------
Everything is all fiberglass,,, every payload section is the same length as the booster section,, I like enough room for the main chute,, every commercially designed rocket has too small of a payload section,, not enough room for the main chute...
38 mm minimum D-- 30" booster and payload...
54 mm minimum D-- 32" " "
3" -- 36" " "
4" Scratch not built yet but I have all the parts and one TAP Member----------- 48" booster and payload...
Notice all proportions are the same,, or close...

Greg,, you’re a good man,, nobody has noticed,, the strength of the material I use I just quote what it says on the reel.
You are correct,, on the reels of 1/2" Kevlar it says 2500 lbs and on the 1" it says 2000 lbs...
They are both as strong as you'd expect from Kevlar,,,,
The 1" is definitely stronger then the 1/2" plus it's so wide that I get twice the amount of stitching on each loop...
that's a very important point....
You said 55 lbs on the pad,,, that's getting there,, pretty heavy,,,
The nylon is always bulkier then the Kevlar...
Takes more room to stow...
Also,, don’t forget,, the heavier / stronger the harness you use the longer it will last.....
I'd sooner see you use the 1" Nylon,,, you could literally tow a truck with it after I sew it up,,, but it's bulky....
The 1" Kevlar would suit your purpose.....
Now ,,, length,,,,
If you have the room to stow it,,,
a longer cord ( within reason ) hurts nothing.....
On all..................
In the booster,,,
The echarge is coming from the top side of the compartment,,,
first it want to jamb everything down deep into the compartment then in the same motion separate.........
if you attach the drogue to the bottom of the av bay and the e charge try's to jamb the drogue down into the booster section it will hold back the action of separation.
Do not allow this,,,
This is why I make 3 loop cords,,, The 3rd loop is about 25% down from one end of the cord,,,
The booster has no more weight at apogee ( no propellant ) but has all the drag ( the fins ),,,, the av bay and payload has all the weight and none of the drag,,, it wants to travel away,,, let it,, don’t hold it back,,, on my 54 minimum D a 25 ft cord,,, with a 3rd loop sewn 6 ft down from the av bay,,, drogue attached to 3rd loop,,, echarge goes off,, drogue is forced down into booster without a fight,,,,,
av bay and payload,, all the rockets mass at this point in flight moves away,,, no fight,,, there shouldn't be much forward motion at this point but what there is,,, drag from fins,,,, separation and the mass easily drags the drogue out of the booster,,,,,,,,
I haven't had a fail yet..................................................

Payload / main,,,,,,,,,,,,,,
I always on all use a piston,,,,,,,
it make the echarge much more efficient,,,,
I use a piston though to stop burning my chutes,,
they're expensive and I'm cheap ,,,,lol,,,,
On top of the av bay,, on a 3 ft airframe bout 5 or 6 ft of Kevlar,,,
over the piston bout 15 ft of Nylon,,, the main is attached to the eye on the nose cone.........
This way I get the best of both worlds,,, the burn resistance of the Kevlar and a bit of give from the Nylon,,,,,,,,,

In this manor I had one fail,,, I put a bit of dog barf over the piston for burn insurance as there's no Nomex blanket used and put it in a little too tight, I inadvertently got a piece wedged between the piston and airframe wall wedging the piston in place.....
This was after many flights and I no longer put barf over the piston,,,,,
Overall,, a very good record,,,,,,,
That's why I stick to these proportions...........

By these proportions,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,
6" diameter--------
6 ft booster,,,, 6 ft payload,,,,,,,,,
between 40 and 50 ft on each side.........................................

Greg,, This reads pretty cool,,,,,,,
I hope you don't mind if I post it publicly,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

Anything I can do to help,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

Ted Chernok

Last edited:
Received my shock cords minutes ago Ted. They're awesome as you promised. The two 1" x 35' 3-loop tubular nylon cords will be going in my Level 3 project, Rocketry Warehouse 6" dia. Formula 150; I will start working on this during the coming summer now that I have the final parts.

Two of the three 9/16" tubular nylon 3-loop cords will go in my Rocketry Warehouse 4" dia. Broken Arrow XP. The final cord will go in my Rocketry Warehouse 4" dia. Formula 98. I'll have these two rockets built and flown at Blackrock this summer.

By the way, I love your stickers. I'll be sure to make sure they're stuck in a very visible location. One right next to my Harley Davidson sticker on the back window of my truck camper shell.

Thank you so much Hank,,,,,,,,,,,,
Are the 1" cords insane or what,,,,,,,,,,
You really could tow a truck with them..............lol

I really wanted you to see a sleeved Nylon cord,,,,,,,,
Very cool,,, right ????

You have seen my Kevlar cords right Hank ?????
You'd like those as well..................
I think you did see them on the last order................

Thank you again Hank,,,,

If there's anything I can do for you,,,,,

Teddy

Love the shock cords I just received from you Ted. They are awesome, as you promised. The nomex sleeve was pure bonus, love it and the delta qwik link, they are the cherry on top. Yes, next minimum dia. Rocket will get the kevlar treatment.

Teddy, you're latest Kevlar harnesses came in the mail today and look fantastic--thank you!

Your quite welcome guys,,,
If there's anything else I can do for you
just let me know...

Teddy

Hey Teddy!

Just got my shipment...these things ROCK! Pics on eBay don't really do them justice.

Can't wait to put 'em to the test. THANKS!

Hey Teddy!

Just got my shipment...these things ROCK! Pics on eBay don't really do them justice.

Can't wait to put 'em to the test. THANKS!

Thanks Jeff,,,,,,,,,,,
But,,,,,,,,,
A--F--T--E--R--S--H--O--C--K is gonna rock................
That thing is insane,,,,,,,,,,
What's the highest peak velocity and altitude predicted for that thing ???????????????

Teddy

OOOOOOhhhhhhhhhh

I just saw in your signature your present best altitude is 7128.............

Jeff-------- That # doesn't stand a chance............lol..........

Teddy

Thanks Jeff,,,,,,,,,,,
But,,,,,,,,,
A--F--T--E--R--S--H--O--C--K is gonna rock................
That thing is insane,,,,,,,,,,
What's the highest peak velocity and altitude predicted for that thing ???????????????

Teddy

Unfortunately, with the ACME fin can, AFTERSHOCK is a bit on the heavy side. Still need to do a final weight with everything in it, but currently it's do ~12K' at just over Mach 2 on a 54mm 2800Ns motor (which I haven't cast yet).

Edit: Altitude estimate...got dyslexic :p

Last edited:
It's still 54mm minimum D Jeff.............

Rock and Roll fer sure................

Teddy

Someone asked about Acme Aluminum Rail Guides,,,,,,,,,,,,,
I've had good success with them so I answered...............

Re: Acme Rail Guides

Post by onebadhawk » Tue Feb 11, 2014 11:26 pm

I just used them on my second rocket.........
I don't like the big bulky look but Acme claims a
smaller frontal area then a rail button..........

First clean all with alcohol..........

Then,,,,,,
Mark placement..........
Check placement,,,,,
make sure it's in a location you can get a clamp on the guide when the time comes to clamp it in place...........
Then place one and pencil mark all around it
so when you remove it you can see it's entire footprint clearly..........

When I use epoxy I do everything possible to make the 2 surfaces "ideal" for adhesion,,,,,,,Alcohol cleaned then very coarse sand........
Then I don't trust the epoxy to adhere,,,,, I "key" the 2 mating surfaces.......
Within the marked footprint I take a cutting wheel and make deep scores,,, say up to a third of the thickness of the fiberglass tube........
I hit the tube with the cutting wheel many times at all different angles,,,,,,,,
When I'm done the footprint looks like this---------
XlXlXlXlXlXlXlXlXl
XlXlXlXlXlXlXlXlXl
XlXlXlXlXlXlXlXlXl
But not so exact or precise,,,,,, and these hatch marks entered the glass at different angles front to back and side to side.........
When I'm done with the hatch marks on the tube I do the same to the underside of the Acme rail guide..........
A final clean with alcohol,,,,,,,,,
When you apply the epoxy,, work it in,,, don't just let it sit on the surface,,, work it in to all the nooks and cranny's,,,,,,
on the tube and on the rail guide,,, when the epoxy is worked in to both pieces put the rail guide on,,, clamp it,,,
as you tighten the clamp keep cleaning with alcohol,,,,, tighten,,,,, clean,,,,, tighten,,,,, clean............
Now you've keyed the piece,,, if the epoxy doesn't adhere the rail guide still can't come off because no matter
which way you apply force your making some hardened epoxy dig deeper into it's channel...............

I hope i explained the keying process clearly,,,,,,,
it's kind of hard to explain..............

Teddy

The Green Hornet
I finally got around to taking some pic's...........
I tried for a bit of a retro look,,,,,,,,,,
Certainly none of Gorilla Pete's famous curves,,,,,,,
But all in all,,, it came out nice..........
When Steve M and I are at the pad and were listening for the altimeter
to give us ready for flight tones Steve says I'm deaf,,,,,lol
Too much loud rock when I was a kid I guess......lol
I put a super bright LED on the outside of the airframe
right at the joint between the booster and the payload sections......
This LED is wired to the "Ready" pads on the altimeters circuit board.........
Now (as long as the rocket is facing correctly)
you can see the "Ready" condition from the LSO desk...........

Teddy

021.jpg 022.jpg 025.jpg

Matt,,,
I'm sorry your package is taking so long,,,,,,,
The post office has been really busy..........
I just checked your tracking # and your package was
in the sort facility in Kearney NJ for 3 days.........
It'll be to you very soon,, I'm sure.......

Teddy

Matt,,,
I'm sorry your package is taking so long,,,,,,,
The post office has been really busy..........
I just checked your tracking # and your package was
in the sort facility in Kearney NJ for 3 days.........
It'll be to you very soon,, I'm sure.......

Teddy

Wow Hank,,,
You too,,,,,,,,
Same as Matt,,,,,,
I'm sure it won't be too much longer..........

Teddy

Just received my second order from Ted. This one a custom -- 4 loops. Nice workmanship, quality materials, prompt service, and super communication. What more could you ask for?

Thanks Ted!

NikeMikey

Thank you Mike,,,,,,,,,,,,,,
Enjoy the cords,,,,,,,,
Be safe,,,,,,

Teddy

Onebadhawk Recovery Harnesses

Simply The Best

We will be closed for vacation

Wednesday February 26, 2014 Thru Thursday March 7, 2014.

We will answer all questions and fill all orders beginning Thursday March 7, 2014.

We genuinely thank you for your continued patronage

and eagerly await your orders and communication on our return.........

Thank you,,,,

Onebadhawk Recovery Harnesses........

A few mails and PM's with Ted and I'm in aw of this guy. Helpful, funny and down to earth. I even called him, now resulting in a much need trip to meet for a beer. He suggested his 1'' wide Kevlar, 30' long, 2 loops. I took his word and the order was placed. Now this guy is crystal clear and honest. Scans of paper work sent over. He apologised as he was caught short on the shipping quote. Not once did Ted ask for the extra, he was going to pay this. I sent over the $20 to Ted's amazement and non stop thanks. 5 days, yes fokes 5 days latter and I've something I'd never get made in the UK arrive wrapped & packed as if it was your 1st born .....

I'd only ordered the 2. Teddy went and threw in one of his other product for free. What a cool surprise and nice gift. Huge thanks to Ted for the service from the UK

Hey,,,,,,,,
What a nice surprise to get back from vacation from,,,,
or should I say "holiday" for you Pete........lol.....
Thank you so much Pete, I'm glad you like the cords..........
And I am holding you to that beer when you come over to
the states for a launch or 2 ..................

Teddy

Got mine yesterday! Ted, Damn nice work my friend! Fast friendly service! I will be using these for my L2 attempt at Red Glare, Hope to see you again there!!

Eventually I will be replacing all of my tubular nylon with Ted's products!

Hey,,,
Thanks Dave,,,,,
I can't wait for Red Glare almost as much as you.........
You've got that level 2 cert in the bag................

Teddy

BTW, anyone on the line about getting these, definitely get one. Teddy shipped me another one this week, I got it really quickly, and it looks awesome. The sewing job is beautiful (he claims he screwed it up, I do not believe it) :) But yeah, definitely get one. I got a 3 loop tubular nylon, and I love it.

Thanks teddy!

Geezz Matt,,,,,,,,,
A shameless plug,,,,,,,,,,,lol,,,,,,
A man after my own heart,,,,,,,,,,,lol,,,,,,

Thank you,,, Thank youuuuu..............

Anything else I can do for ya Matt.....................

Teddy

Back