Shock cord - parachute placement

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rcode

Reaction score
Which is better placement:

For the drogue:

A: The bottom core of rocket at the bottom end and E-bay at the other end, with the drogue parachute attached around a 1/4 of the length towards the top?
B: The bottom core of rocket at the bottom end and the drogue parachute at the other end, with the E-bay attached around a 1/4 of the length towards the top?

For the main:

C: The E-bay at the bottom end and nosecone at the other end, with the main parachute attached around a 1/4 of the length towards the top?
D: The E-bay at the bottom end and the main parachute at the other end, with the nosecone attached around a 1/4 of the length towards the top?

Also stated ¼ from the top as a reference, At what position along the cord should you tie onto at?

A & C
1/3 length
This has worked very well on my DD rockets.
1/3 has been recommended by many sources.

With only the drogue deployed what you want to see is an inverted V with the nose/Main chute bay separated and pointed away from from the booster. This way when the Main chute charge goes, the main chute deploys away from the booster.

I, too, use 1/3's based on a PML source note and that's worked for me. As I'm working on getting parts together in the basement before a launch, I lay out all the cords and AFs to check to make sure the lengths are such so that as the rocket is coming down that none of the parts will bang together.

Back