Shock cord attachment method...easiest?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bigone5500

Reaction score
I am about to attach the shock cord to the MMT and am thinking of using a #10 eyebolt. What will be the most convenient way to attach and/or replace the shock cord if necessary?

Good question. Just need a little more info to be able to answer it.

What weight is the rocket? What diameter and length is the BT?

Once you get over 4" diameter, you can use a quick link to attach the shock cord to the eyebolt. If the BT is smaller then that, you'll need a thin hand to get in there and get the link attached.

I have a 4" dia. rocket and tied the shock cord to the quick link and attach that to the eyebolt.

I also have a 2" ID rocket with a 38mm MMT. Besides not being able to reach inside to attach a shock cord, there was no room for an eyebolt either. I used a steel cable with a loop in one end that extended almost to the top of the BT. I bought a couple of feet of 1/16" steel cable and the crimp type connectors for it. They crimped a loop in the end of the cable when they cut it for me. The two crimps were more expensive then the 2 feet of cable, and the whole thing was still less then $2. I used JB Weld to attach the cable to the MMT.

Sorry...it's a 3" Custom Patriot kit from LOC. It has a 29mm MMT tube 12" long and is built with US Composites epoxy using TTW fin mount. The CRs are 1/8 lite ply and the nosecone is the standard 3" plastic from LOC. BT is 28.5" long.

Weight before shock cords, hardware and parachute is ~16 oz.

I guess I'll have to hire my son and train him in quicklink attachment...;)

Latest posts

Back