Sheri's Mercury Redstone

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
IMG_0001.jpg I've saved this part of the tower feeling this will work fine. The lower end is what I've decided to trash and rebuild.

IMG_0001.jpg IMG_0001.jpg I've epoxied the window in place and have started to fill in around the edges with Red Devil Spackle. I'll let this dry and continue on filling in more later. Update: The photo on the right shows more filling and rough sanding. After I get this to the shape and final sanding, I'll shoot a coat of primer over it and see where I stand.

Last edited:
what a beautiful cat!! and I know the feeling of losing a pet..I had to put my beloved Basset down in December 2014......gosh I still miss her and still find myself looking for her when ever I walk in the door....

View attachment 256426 This is my Black Forest Norwegian cat. She's fifteen years old and weighs fifteen lbs. to boot. These are a large breed of cat. I call her "Squitch" due to the sound she makes when getting down from something. Not a very accurate description of a sound really, just something that came out of my mouth when I first heard her 'grunting' as she landed. I lost my other female cat last year on 7-2-2014 due to kidney failure. She was an orange long hair of sorts and was seventeen when we put her down. I cried like a baby. I think she's in a few photos in my album here.

On a side note, I just bought a K-25 Astron Alpha for $14.99 on Ebay with free s/h. Happy camper when I've been seeing these things going for two to three times as much plus shipping.

IMG_0001.jpg IMG_0002.jpg IMG_0003.jpg The area around the window had been knocked down accidentally from overzealous sanding. As such, the rivet detail went with it. I've cut a small strip of styrene and glued it into place to make up for the damage. Next, more filling and 'gentle' sanding. Eventually, I'll need to add rivets as well. I'll use the 3D decal rivets I've been using. I always sand too much, always. :facepalm:

IMG_0001.jpg After initial filling. I'll let this dry and so some fine sanding and sculpting with my knife.

Last edited:
That little squirt on Ebay just cancelled my order for the Astron Alpha. It's either " I'm out of stock or can't fulfill the order for another reason." If I could give this boy feedback, I'd tear him a new place for the sun to explode.:rant: There, all better now. :p

That little squirt on Ebay just cancelled my order for the Astron Alpha. It's either " I'm out of stock or can't fulfill the order for another reason." If I could give this boy feedback, I'd tear him a new place for the sun to explode.:rant: There, all better now. :p

I had that happen a few years back. I won an unpainted Estes Bandit, the one with the fancy exhaust ducting, for a song after being the only bidder. Darn it all, wouldn't you know he e-mailed me later that day and it turns out his kids smashed it all to pieces playing football in the house. Of course, no pictures were possible because he threw it out immediately.

Yup, that's the way it goes sometimes. It's the only 'bad' transaction I've had on Ebay and he did refund my money. Yet I sure wish I had the item instead, eh?

IMG_0001.jpg Now the window has a new frame. Some minor filling and sanding then primer. After I like what I see, then the rivets will go on and final painting.

I just received more rivet decals from Archer Transfers. These are in a smaller O scale than the G scale I was using to break up the rivet sizes where needed. Also my David Weeks Mercury Redstone drawings came which will now give me a great picture of where rivet and panel line details go. :D

IMG_0004.jpg I've started on the Hydrogen Peroxide Fill And Drain assembly. One of the sides has already been glued on the backing. Sheet styrene cut to both width and length are being used here.

IMG_0001.jpg And now for some green putty. I use green putty on plastic parts and spackle on porous material. Just a preference.

IMG_0001.jpg Now the completed assembly glued onto the rocket. There's only one of these which is on the all white side between axis TY and RX. Also note I've used some different sized rivets on the fins themselves. It has that 'looks right' look.

IMG_0001.jpg I'll be using pin striping tape (the smallest two above) for creating panel lines for the rest of the upper booster. There's still more drain plugs and what not to build so they'll be coming as well.

IMG_0001.jpg I've started on the booster panel lines using 1/32" Pactra Trim Tape. It's yellow in color though I just happened to have the stuff laying around and figured why not. Most of the horizontal lines have been layed down with just a few left to go. Then I'll start on the vertical ones afterwards.

The only time I ever came close to doing this kind of detail work was my college film animation class. I made a Batman movie, with the 1970s Mego action figures. I had to make a Batcave, Wayne Manor, Commissioner's office, Joker's hideout (inside and out), and a jail cell.

Sweet! I'm hoping to get my decals on my 1/4 scale Patriot tonight. Don't know if the primer will be fully dry yet.

Latest posts

Back