Sheri's Mercury Redstone

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Steven...she is looking great so far! For me..sanding and filling is probably the toughest part of any build for me....gets real tedious real fast! you are doing an awesome job!!

Most excellent and thank you. It's tedious as well for me though when I do start seeing the results, I know a little bit more isn't as bad. Check out the B-17 build I had going, specifically the engine nacelle work. Lots of Red Devil spackle on them but it sanded like no one's business! Again, thank you!:)

B-17g is probably my favorite airplane of all time...just a tough looking aircraft!

Most excellent and thank you. It's tedious as well for me though when I do start seeing the results, I know a little bit more isn't as bad. Check out the B-17 build I had going, specifically the engine nacelle work. Lots of Red Devil spackle on them but it sanded like no one's business! Again, thank you!:)

I've got the navigators dome which sits just in front of the cockpit window. NOS. Now, I've only the rest of it to get. :eyeroll:IMG_0001.jpg

Tried getting the throttle quadrant on Ebay. I had the bid up to $2,200, but someone got it from me. Bidding was furious!!

Tried getting the throttle quadrant on Ebay. I had the bid up to $2,200, but someone got it from me. Bidding was furious!!

I don't play with it every week, but I do play with it if I walk right by it.

Throttle Quadrant.jpg

IMG_0001.jpg And now of the fin area. I'll still need to add more detail here, but I just wanted to see if I was getting anywhere here. It's not bad. Later, I'll sand most of it down till I just see the BT, then stop and proceed with the final coat of white paint. Remember, this is still the primer coat I've got on now.

View attachment 254750 And now of the fin area. I'll still need to add more detail here, but I just wanted to see if I was getting anywhere here. It's not bad. Later, I'll sand most of it down till I just see the BT, then stop and proceed with the final coat of white paint. Remember, this is still the primer coat I've got on now.

I've decided to use 600 grit and sand very lightly some of the rivet detail. You can see in the upper region where work is needed.

I've decided to use 600 grit and sand very lightly some of the rivet detail. You can see in the upper region where work is needed.

Perhaps, but it's looking good. I think I might have glued a small piece of 600 to the end of a pencil for that kind of detail work.

Hey Steven, your rivets are showing! Nice work there.

If you have time in July, you should bring it down to Tuscon for the NAR Annual Meet and enter it in the scale competition!

Perhaps, but it's looking good. I think I might have glued a small piece of 600 to the end of a pencil for that kind of detail work.

I can see that. I've had confidence in my fingers to do this kind of work for so many years. Creating my own scale cockpits for my RC airplanes and rivet detail along with panel lines, guns, bombs etc. has helped hone my skills in working with small parts using just my fingers. I have yet to use a magnifier or tweezers in my work.Though I do highly recommend any technique that the individual finds suitable to their own liking.

Hey Steven, your rivets are showing! Nice work there.

If you have time in July, you should bring it down to Tuscon for the NAR Annual Meet and enter it in the scale competition!

Thank you. However, I could never enter anything I've done in a contest as I'm not convinced it's worth it. I'm not a competitive person when it comes to modeling. It's more like art, you either dig it, or you don't. : )

IMG_0001.jpg Now for the 'angle iron'. As always, one has some regrets in regards to how they've gone about doing something and this is no exception. I chose to do this after I had primmered everything and it did in fact make the adhesion of the CA glue somewhat difficult and messy. These styrene pieces are not easy to bend against the inherent angle of the structure. More than one piece did I break in this process. Having looked back on it, I should have used my heating gun that I use for shrinking the plastic covering on some of my airplanes to soften the material making it more pliable.

IMG_0002.jpg A shot of the other side sans rivet detail. Speaking of rivets, there will be more work to be done on the fin area concerning the addition of more rivets. I'm at a stand still with whether or not I should continue with the rest of the booster. That in my opinion will test my patience, though I'm finding myself leaning towards that possibility. :confused:

I just realized that with this build, while I had some awareness of the number of views I had, I never realized that this has become one of the most popular threads in the mid-power section. That to me is just insane! I never would of thought anything I've done would be of much interest to so many people. In short I came from a household where I had an abusive mother. She used to beat me with my Hot Wheel tracks and throw glasses of water in my face. I've been recently working this out along with being bi-polar with both my psychiatrist and psychologist but it's been a very painful road. I hate her with a passion and have broken off all ties with her over a decade ago. I have found myself for the first time being able to discuss this matter at all.

Here's a couple of reasons I'm following the thread (no, not the cat). I like your taste in rockets, and your builds look fantastic. I've always wanted a Sheri MR, so I'm interested in seeing how it turns out.

View attachment 148900

Here's Jr. Aw, how cute.
View attachment 148902

And dad needs more room.

View attachment 148904

It was consistently on the verge of tipping over on the thicker carpet, had to be quick with the leg twice. It's safer here for the upper section shot. And yeah, the pic is tilted. Maybe that was me falling.

Here's a couple of reasons I'm following the thread (no, not the cat). I like your taste in rockets, and your builds look fantastic. I've always wanted a Sheri MR, so I'm interested in seeing how it turns out.

It is humbling to see people enjoy something I do. I had even shown my psychiatrist this forum during one visit to show her what I was doing and she was quite fascinated by this build and others. She had plenty of questions regarding the basics of rocketry which I was eager to answer. She had shown a genuine interest and appreciation for what we do in this hobby. I'm thrilled to see your enthusiasm based upon something I've done and I'm very happy to see other people happy. Thank you yet again! It's you and others who have given me a heartfelt drive to finish this model, and I'm slowly seeing the results stemming from this. Thank you. :)

Last edited:
I play drums, bass, guitar, keys and a few other instruments. I was in local bands on and off for years. Due to our connections with a morning show DJ, we got to open for acts like Three Dog Night, the Beach Boys, America, the Temptations, Smokey Robinson, and others.

My problem is that while I am okay at all of them, I don't excel at any of them. So I was always the utility man in bands, adding in whatever part was missing.

I play drums, bass, guitar, keys and a few other instruments. I was in local bands on and off for years. Due to our connections with a morning show DJ, we got to open for acts like Three Dog Night, the Beach Boys, America, the Temptations, Smokey Robinson, and others.

My problem is that while I am okay at all of them, I don't excel at any of them. So I was always the utility man in bands, adding in whatever part was missing.

Now THAT is cool!! These are all legendary bands and artists! How much better does it get than that! It's funny you mention Three Dog Night as I was on YouTube just the other day watching them play "Momma' Told Me Not To Come", "Black And White" and some others. Also America doing "Stronger Everyday". My tastes range from ABBA to Marilyn Mansion and Rammstein. Queen has been my favorite of all, with emphasis on Roger Taylor's voice, musical talent and ability as a song writer for both the band and as a solo artist. The guy has a smokey voice that can hit falsetto notes like no one's business. "Drowse" from the "Day At The Races" gives an overall picture of all these attributes. :)

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back