September 8th Launch at "Amy's" farm...

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PGerringer

Ruler of Heck
Reaction score
A fun time was had by all... Here are the pics:

https://scooby.cybergatetech.com/Projects/Rocketry/Pictures/launch 9-8-01/

You will notice that there aren't that many pictures. Well, that is because I spent most of my time in the woods looking for my Mustang 2 which basically exploded. There is a good picture of it in a tree. Anyway, I will report my view of things and let everyone else who was there add to this post...

There were a ton of launches anywhere from Bs to Gs. It was a great day for most. So here is the tale of my tape:

Gotta make sure it doesn't vaporize right? I wanted to end up flying it on an E but I started out with a D and it was a good thing I did. Beautiful launch ended with the rocket on the ground about 20 yards away. On closer inspection, one of the 4 fins were broke. (CRUD) So, it wouldn't fly again that day. But that isn't the end of the story. I left it sitting in the sun and apparently the heat made the tubes warp. Now it is the shape of a boomerang. No more flights for that bird.... I will salvage the parts.

Beautiful launch but it cocked really bad about 100' from the ground. Up, up, up it went as I patiently waited for that familiar "pop". Well, the pop never came and like Mustang 1, it arched right into the nearest woods. But I was OK, cause I attached one of those loud location beacons that cost $9. So, off I went to go find it. I should note now that the RMS 29/40-120 was the only one that I had and it was in the Mustang. It was also going to be used in the Mirage so I had to find it. After about 2 hours in the woods and the help of Mark (thanks buddy, you are my hero :D ) the Mustang 2 was finally located. It was hanging from a tree. That <insert cuss word> locator beacon was not heard at all. (piece of crap :mad: ) The ejection had apparently deployed cause the rocket was blown in half. It was a sad day for the Mustang 2. But, there is a silver lining, I got my RMS casing back as well as most of the pieces... :)

I was still a little apprehensive about launching it but was feeling quite giddy from finding the RMS. So, I launched it. Now keep in mind, this is a 31oz rocket modified to 3 lbs. I'm gonna use this bird for my level 1 cert in 2 weeks at Whitakers. Dispite all the warnings I loaded up the RMS and sent her up. The launch was beautiful with the exception of a wobley launch pad. Apparently a 3lb Mirage is too heavy for a AT Mantis launch pad with a 6' rod attached. Luckily the wobley launch pad did not affect the flight and the Mirage didn't destroy the pad. So, up it went, white smoke trailing. Up, Up, Up, which I estimate was around 1000 ft. Course I'm bad with distances too. In any case you could hear the tension in the croud, from my own mouth I heard, "Come on baby, eject." Then I heard it from others around me. (thanks for the boost guys.) And then "POP", I was saved. But there was only one parachute visible. The other parachute had gotten tangled so the job of landing the two sections (which were supposed to come down separately) was left to one parachute. I watched it coast to earth. Relief!!! The rocket sustained no significant damage... Whew!!! Now off to Whitakers and Level 1. :D

Not my rocket but one of the locals (Amy's husband) had a space shuttle. Sounds boring, right? Well, it was anything but. This Estes kit (Which I shall buy tomorrow) sends a styrofoamed shaped space shuttle up in the air. Upon ejection, the engine and motor mount is ejected from the space shuttle and comes down on a parachute. The space shuttle spirals to the ground, gliding safely. That was a kick butt rocket and so I must have one.

Initiator on an E15-4W: This was the Initiator's second ride on this size motor. Perfect flight, easy recovery, very uneventful.

Initator on an E30-4T: WOW! First "T" launch I have seen. Man did the rocket leave the pad in a hurry. You want maximum speed quick this motor will do it. This flight missed the trees but did land in the goat pen. Luckily no goat dung was found on the rocket. :)

Initiator on an F25-6W: I love the F motors: great sound, nice slow launch speeds and easy to watch. But this motor sends the Initiator very high and on a nice slow arch. The nose pops and then the long dreaded float to never-never land. We looked but never found. I felt like Bilbo when walking through the woods with all the dang spiders.

The Initator was a good friend and confidant. It made it through five launches and four recoveries. In the Piedmont of NC five launches seems to be a good number. Any more than that is a bonus. A moment of silence please....

..... :(

One note. I was very displeased with the Aerotech Copperhead ignitors. Not a single one would light the Aerotech motors. Thank goodness KenParker had several ignitors (I forget the brand, maybe Ken can tell us). He bailed me out. I owe you three ignitors Mr. Parker. I am finished with the Copperheads.

That was also my Mantis pad that almost tipped over on the Mirage launch. I think the combination of a six foot launch rod, a six foot rocket, and a powerful G motor was pushing the limits for this pad. I wouldn't suggest this to anybody. I think it can handle the G motors but keep the rockets small.

Of course now I have no rockets. Seems like a good time to go shopping. :D Hmmmm, PML A2 or A3, or maybe a scratch built AIM-54C, decisions, decisions.

Well, other than the monocopter (see LPR thread), the only bird I flew was the Big Daddy.

The Big Daddy was a real crowd pleaser with the kids. I flew the Big Daddy 4 times on 1 D12-3 and 3 D12-5 Estes engines. Every flight went picture perfect and attained heights of about 500'.

The 1st launch had the Big Daddy land within 10' of the launch pad. :) Each time we would put the Big Daddy on the launch pad you could hear all of the kids say "Hey, here goes the Big Daddy again". It was great fun.

Low and slow is my new motto,
Mark
:p

The launch at Amy's was definitely a fun-filled day.

First off, let me express my heartfelt thanks to Amy and Larry for sponsoring the event. They are great and gracious hosts. And Phil is dead right - that Estes Space Shuttle that Larry was flying all day is one of the most fun rockets to watch that I have ever seen - and folks, I've seen a lot of rockets !!!

It appeared to me that all the kids had a blast. I lost count of the number of Estes and Quest RTF flights that were launched. If I was going to guess, I would guess around 20 or 30. Everything from A to C motors. And, we have had discussion in other threads about Estes vs Quest motors. We all saw first hand the difference in the smoke trails that the Quest motors make. Very easy to track those Quest motors. Some of those small rockets on the C motors went nearly out of sight. It does your heart good to see kids have fun like that. Took me back to days long past......

Criag, you don't owe me anything for the ignitors. If you all haven't figured it out yet, I love this hobby. I was happy to donate those ignitors to the cause. For those of you interested, they are B&K ignitors. Work great on A through G motors. You can get them from Ken Allen of Performance Hobbies. He is the on-site vendor at the Whitakers launch. I started using them when I got tired of fighting the problems with Aerotech Copperhead ignitors.

More in a minute....

My 16 year old son had agreed to come along long enough to do a demo flight on our Radio Controlled rocket-boosted SR-71 Blackbird. My old eyes have trouble flying an all black aircraft Since it is all black, it is very difficult to tell right-side up from upside down..... We put it up on an E18 RMS in a 24/40 RMS RC casing. Took the motor a bit to come up to pressure, but it still put in a pretty cool flight.

After that, I was helping Phil learn about loading RMS. Luv to see people try new things. He loaded up his 29 40/120 casing for the ill-fated Mustang 2 flight which he has already reported on.

Then Mark tried his monocopter..... very interesting.

Mark, if you read this anytime soon today, and you feel like experimenting some more - TODAY - give me a call. I'd would be up for going over to Piney Grove Elementary and trying a few more flights. I'll bring an ignition system with a l-o-n-g lead so that you won't have to demo your military "dive-into-the-dirt" training again. I'll also bring some bricks to weight down the launch pad. I really really really would like to see this thing work. I was going to try to call you, but there's like 10 Mark Browns in the Kville phone book.

After that I was helping Craig with his ignitor problems for a while. Craig has an interesting approach to flying rockets. Goes something like.... fly it first on an E engine....OK, I didn't lose it with a low power E engine, let's put a bigger E engine in it..... flight..... OK, I didn't lose it with that, let's go to a medium power F engine... flight... rocket by-by..... Craig, here's some words of wisdom for ya.... if ya keep sending it higher and higher, sooner or later the Rocket Gods WILL yield to temptation and reach out and take it away from you..... they just luv people who like to donate rockets to them.

Somewhere in here, I snuck in a flight on my vintage Broadsword, just a D12 engine. It turned in its usual straight up flight with nice deployment and return. Also flew my Python on a D12 with similar results.

Then, it was Mirage time...... and Phil has also reported on that. That G64 was the most powerful engine that most people there had ever seen.... and heard. The flight went well. Carl and I will have to work with Phil on packing those chutes when we get to Whitakers. But it was still a darn good flight.

And then..... it was after 4 and time to pack up.

All in all, a terrifically fun day. Thanks again Amy and Larry.

It's all part of the show. The lead act never comes out before the opening act. :D I tend to launch for the show and for the people that came out to watch. Kind of like a fireworks show.

Phil,

Image 780, showing the demise of the Mustang II is heart-breaking. It's a wonder you guys found it. :(

Wonderful pics Shutterbug! 919 is a great shot of that Space Shuttle going up. And 917 is a beautiful shot of the Initiator - Can we have another moment of silence...

Back