Semrock Shuttle - question

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rifleshooter

Reaction score
Team, the first model I (idiotically) chose to build as a 20-year BAR was a Semroc Space Shuttle.

Fortified by pictures of Burke's outrageous building efforts, I polished balsa for three or four days. I am told that I have a near-mental disorder about "over-doing" things. :eyeroll:

It's all going together today. I saw a thread on here about one of you that extended the wing area on his shuttle, seeking to increase glide time. Those wings seem awfully stubby, and I live at 5300 ft (Colorado) and the air up here is markedly less forgiving than flying at sea level.

I broadened my wings 1.13" and glued shaped little winglets on the tips. I went from 5.066 sq in to 7.22 sq in. Mass is 0.5645 oz, wing loading is now 11.26 oz/sq ft.

img3121xb.jpg

This number will go up a "tetch" when I finish the model. What does your orbiter weigh? What kind of wing loading do you have?

More importantly - is 0.5645 oz too heavy, and should I hollow out the nose cone somewhat?

Last edited:
Can't hollow out the nose cone-Throw off Cg of glider...... Looks good other wise.

Roger that. I thought as much. I guess I shouldn't worry; I've created a 42% increase in wing area with a minimal increase of weight.

Latest posts

Back